Escape to the Movies: Twilight: Breaking Dawn Part Two

maidenm

Jul 3, 2012
Lykosia said:
maidenm said:
canadamus_prime said:
That still doesn't account for how she got published in the first place. Like if she's such a terrible writer then how is it that her publisher didn't slap her with a big fat rejection slip? I don't know, I haven't read it, I'm just going on everyone else's word here.
She did get a rejection letter, or rather she got 9 of them (!!). Five letters she sent to publishers went unanswered. Then she sent the script to Little, Brown, the company that accepted her crap. A company that back then had a... bad reputation. Suprised? She also refused to let a proof-reader edit her "work" because they might "ruin" it.
Yet, she still got some praising reviews from some critics and Publishers Weekly chose Twilight as the best book of the year 2005. I haven't read the books myself, so can't really say my own opinion about them, but some critics seemed to like the books. Which is why I don't believe them to be that bad. I only think that most of us here aren't the target audience.
As someone who have read it myself I can somewhat confirm what you say, it is not that bad. But then, it's really not good either. My problem comes mainly with its authour and the fans. And the fact that people have actually hurt people physically and emotionally(girlfriends cutting themselves and forcing their boyfriends to drink their blood, or flat out insulting them/leaving them for 'not being like Edward'). Also, the positive review where focused mostly on "this is what it's like to be a teenager with your first crush", and the first book is like that, the rest is just fap material without anything to fap to.

I should stop now, before I start ranting...

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Gearhead mk2 said:
...Ladies and gentelemen, I think we've finally found the movie equivalent to Sonic 06.
Oh God XD

Hahahhahahahaha. Seriously oh my stomach. I don't know what's funnier.
The fact that you might be right or the fact that Movie Bob got me hyped to go see this movie just for the ending fight.

DAMN YOU BOB

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
I feel bad laughing at this. It's like laughing at kids running in the special olympics. They're trying SO hard, it's not their fault everything around them is so stupid.

... I want predictions here: whose career is going to sputter out and die the fastest and hardest after this?

Michael Sheen gets a pass due to being awesome in most movies and at life (did YOU reproduce with Kate Beckinsale? No? Didn't think so!)

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
I find it funny because I actually read the books (DON'T JUDGE ME!) and whenever I saw the trailer with the epic battle at the end, I kept saying "That's not how the book ends! Fuck Hollywood!".
(See, I believe the movie should stay loyal to the book regardless of how crappy or good the book is).

But that whole dream thing...wow. It literally just made things worse. I mean, WHY?!

At any rate, I always thought Stephanie Meyer's books had some potential if she had focused on the X-men-meets-vampires plot rather than that lame supernatural love triangle that every single show and book after Twilight feels like they must emulate.
Think about it. A normal guy dies and becomes a vampire. But wait! Depending on your personality and qualities, you can develop a special superpower. Each superpower is different from the other because we're all different. So...boom! Don't tell me that has no potential!

But both the book and the movie completely ignore that and other vampires who seem more interesting that possessive Edward, obsessive Bella and mopey Jacob.

Taunta

Dec 17, 2010
I got dragged in the movie, and for half a second I thought they were deviating from the source material, and I got really excited. And then I got pissed off.

Honestly the only redeemable part of the movie is the actors playing the extra vampires, but it's not enough to save this train wreck. Also Lee Pace plays one of the extras, (the vampire who's only personality trait is "fought in the American revolution, hates the British") and it makes me worried about him playing Thranduil in the Hobbit. Hopefully he does well with a script that doesn't suck.

Beautiful End said:
At any rate, I always thought Stephanie Meyer's books had some potential if she had focused on the X-men-meets-vampires plot rather than that lame supernatural love triangle that every single show and book after Twilight feels like they must emulate.
I agree. The series is halfway decent when it's not about Bella and Edward. A story about different vampire covens and the politics and history between them? YES.
A story about a bland, lifeless, personality-less girl and the be-all end-all perfect man who inexplicably falls in love with her and by the way also has superpowers? NO.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
i think spoiler warning was not needed, as it is impossible to spoil twilling movies.

maidenm

Jul 3, 2012
Father Time said:
I came in fully expecting Bob to hate this movie and tear it apart, maybe give some cynical rant about the state of Hollywood blah blah blah. This however was a pleasant surprise, and I'm definitely going to see it when it hits the $3 movie theaters. The battle sounds epic.

On another note, I've never seen/read the Twilight movies or books so I want to know what the misogyny is in them (I'm not saying it's not there, it's just that Bob is the first person I've seen to mention it so I'm curious).
The misogeny in the books is more visible than in the movies, to summarise:
A woman is not compleate unless she has a man
A woman who tries to be independent must be "wrong" in some way
A woman who cannot reproduce is not a woman (yes, the characters in the book actually support this bloody theory)
Having a child is the purpose of a woman's life
A man must be in charge of his woman
A man is never at fault if he hurts his woman (a wherewolf ripps of half of his beloved's face at one point, Bella's reaction: Poor him who has to be reminded of that everytime he sees her. No sympathy is given to the girl)

That's just a handful of the examples in the book, that together with the fact that Edward displays the same behaviour as those men irl who abuse their partners does not make it better.

Sorry, I said I was going to stop before I rant. Mission failed...

maximara

Jul 13, 2008
SAMAS said:
KeyMaster45 said:
Ladies and gentlemen, we have found the black hole of movies. Its star burned brightly and swiftly; then it collapsed under it's own weight and took everyone involved with it.

My hopes got so high when Bob was describing that action sequence. I could just imagine all the wailing screams of the fan girls as Hollywood said "No more, we will redeem this shit at all costs". It was a delicious moment, then he told us it was all a dream, and much like the described reaction of the audience at the screening I exclaimed "Bullshit." Oh they were so close to giving Myers the finger and salvaging the finale. I almost can't blame them though; I know I wouldn't want to face the ire of its psychotic fan base.
I think that was the point. They knew they couldn't end the movie any differently than the book did, but as Bob pointed out, the ending was a tremendous disappointment. So the least they could think to do was to actually give us the fight, even if it couldn't actually happen.
Given the way the ending of other books have been changed (is there ANY movie version of Hugo's _The Hunchback of Notre Dame_ that ends the way the book does?!?) I find this "they couldn't end the movie any differently than the book did" concept to put it bluntly...weird.

I guess the fans would have a fit but those of us who have been scratching our heads like befuddled chimps over why Twilight has been so popular would have liked a Charlton Heston-like ending where they couldn't be any more sequels without some really goofy explanation. Well at least we get to see the majority of the cast get turned into worm food even if it is only in a vision-dream.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
holy balls, Spoony and the Cinema Snob spending about two hours riffing this movie. AWESOME:

http://spoonyexperiment.com/2012/11/17/breaking-dawn-part-2/

Edl01

Apr 11, 2012
undeadsuitor said:
Nghtgnt said:
So... what you're saying is... this movie is potentially the best episode of MST3K ever?
Pretty much

they wouldnt even have to look far for someone to riff it, Robert Pattinson already does a pretty good job

Someone needs to link me were I can find the video where he says this :p

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
A reference to DAFFY THE WIZARD! [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PvJ1zBJ-us] Bob, you're alright.

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
And Bob Chipman actually encourages people to see a Twilight movie.

Yep, it's 2012 alright. Get out your canoes and buy some stock in Petsmart, cuz the rivers of blood and the dogs and cats living together are right around the corner.

Akimoto

Nov 22, 2011
Evil Smurf said:
I can't tell if Bob is trolling us, or this is going to be a cult classic.
Cult classic, filed under Humor/Comedy. And Dakota Fanning fed to a wolf? X-Men power rip offs? I may need to watch this.