Escape to the Movies: White House Down

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
White House Down

MovieBob gives us a look at the latest bit of subtle filmmaking from Roland Emmerich.

Watch Video

AlexanderPeregrine

Nov 19, 2009
The Captain Planet announcement is pretty amusing just because of how far in advance they've set the release date. It's as if they expect things to go horribly wrong during production and would rather save the effort of pushing back the release date a full year.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
I just saw Not-Obama fire an RPG out of a moving vehicle. This is the sort of thing that needs to be seen... more.

A Captain Planet movie, on the other hand, is the sort of thing that needs to be seen... NEVER!

Actually, you know what, I take that back. On one condition... get Roland Emmerich to direct Captain Planet: The Movie, because it seems to be that he is the only man who could actually commit sincerely enough to a concept like Captain Planet, to actually make a movie that, if not conventionally 'good', could at least be looked at with some level of affection. Y'know, like a puppy looking doe-eyed up at you after having just eaten your slippers.

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
I'd like to see it, just because I love the "Channing'd all over my Tatum" thing they did on... Kimmel, was it? And it's now got a real music video to go with it.

Which I'd link... but I'm at work and it's really NSFW.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
So glad to hear this is awesome. It looked like a mindless "X Attack The White House" movie, I've never liked Channing Tatum as an actor (why I don't know, just hasn't really hit the right buttons, I guess) , and when I saw Jamie Foxx in the role as President Kcarab Amabo I thought "you went from Django to this? What are you thinking, man?!" Plus, Roland Emmerich has always been pretty hit-and-miss with me, the hits including Independence Day and 2012 while the misses include 10,000 BC and The Day After Tomorrow. I might go see this now.

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
Here I was enjoying a good review of a great movie...and my enjoyment got ruined by the announcement of a 2016 movie that should never happen.

CAPTCHA: what to see

NO IT'S NOT, CAPTCHA!!!

Reeve

Feb 8, 2013
So the writers knew that the NSA, Snowden etc. was going to become contemporary and relevant in time for the film's release...somehow.

Eyebrow raising.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
So its Die Hard With a Vengeance centered in Washington D.C. and operating on the action level of bat-shit bonkers on a bun. I can dig it. Might wait for DVD to see it unless I find a cheaper ticket somewhere in town.

As for Captain Planet... Kinda sad that this is getting a release before a decent Masters of the Universe or Thundercats movie. But that's just me.

Elijah Newton

Sep 17, 2008
The Great JT said:
I've never liked Channing Tatum as an actor (why I don't know, just hasn't really hit the right buttons, I guess)
I had no thoughts on the guy until I saw "This is the End." He seems to have an appropriate sense of the ridiculous.

Also, side note? Bob, sir, any chance of a review of WWZ? Would love to get your take on it.

KazNecro

Jun 1, 2009
So what you're saying, MovieBob, is that this movie is so over-the-top, and reminiscent of goofy 80's action movies, that it would qualify Channing Tatum and Jamie Foxx for The Expendables 4?

Well played...

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Wow, that was damn unexpected, did not see him liking this, then again I also though this movie was the earlier 'attack on the white house' or president or whatever movie.

SNCommand

Aug 29, 2011
Am I the only one who find this love letter to the current US president a bit distasteful considering Obama is as much onboard with the NSA and the military as the bad guys in this movie?

History is going to deem the current president as a weak one considering how little control Hollywood and the rest of the media is presenting him as having, just think about the one in this movie, it isn't easy overlooking so many groups plotting an armed insurrection, not unless the heads of NSA, FBI and CIA are in on it, and if they are you've really fucked up as president.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
seems kind of fun, one thing i do know is that my home school teacher is going to love this movie.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
You say it's not afraid to be about something, but what it's about is just pumping up the propaganda machine and continuing to pander to the us/them ideology that is destroying this country. To wit, Obama is not interested in peace with Iran, has put more troops into combat overseas than President Bush, is SUPPORTING a bigger and more dangerous spying scandal than Richard Nixon that has all the same qualities of McCarthyism (replacing communism with terrorist as the excuse for doing it), and has not only refused to prosecute the banks that have caused the economic problems in this country, but systematically put into place laws that further protect them from legal repercussions and allow them to continue the exploitation of the American people. If it were still Bush in office, most of the media would be up in arms about it, calling for his resignation and you'd be right along with them in the chants. But because Obama's a democrat, the media will make any excuse they can to keep from being seen as the monster he is (unless you're Fox News, but Fox is already a joke to most of the American public, so their opinion doesn't count).

I don't care if it's ballsy for Emerich to make this film about something. It would be equally ballsy for someone to make a film in which a a good-hearted, but maligned Republican president is attacked by unapologetically evil homosexual pro-abortion Muslim radicals.

It would also be equally bullshit.

SNCommand

Aug 29, 2011
RJ Dalton said:
You say it's not afraid to be about something, but what it's about is just pumping up the propaganda machine and continuing to pander to the us/them ideology that is destroying this country. To wit, Obama is not interested in peace with Iran, has put more troops into combat overseas than President Bush, is SUPPORTING a bigger and more dangerous spying scandal than Richard Nixon that has all the same qualities of McCarthyism (replacing communism with terrorist as the excuse for doing it), and has not only refused to prosecute the banks that have caused the economic problems in this country, but systematically put into place laws that further protect them from legal repercussions and allow them to continue the exploitation of the American people. If it were still Bush in office, most of the media would be up in arms about it, calling for his resignation and you'd be right along with them in the chants. But because Obama's a democrat, the media will make any excuse they can to keep from being seen as the monster he is (unless you're Fox News, but Fox is already a joke to most of the American public, so their opinion doesn't count).

I don't care if it's ballsy for Emerich to make this film about something. It would be equally ballsy for someone to make a film in which a a good-hearted, but maligned Republican president is attacked by unapologetically evil homosexual pro-abortion Muslim radicals.

It would also be equally bullshit.
This right here, the movie is presenting a president as far removed from the real one as possible

A really bland protagonist

Villains with no logical motivation or rational actions

A message as close to the current mainstream ideology as possible

There's nothing edgy about this, no Roland Emmerich movie has ever been either edgy or even thought inducing, he makes what he does best, special effect summer blockbusters pandering to the Hollywood view

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Well now. That's a pleasant surprise. I got the feeling this movie was going to be "over the top", but it sounds like they got it done right this time.

Glad to hear.

shadowmagus

Feb 2, 2011
I'm sorry, but this seems like the kind of film Bob has railed against in the past. The only difference is that it's a representation of his man-crush obama taking it to the right-wing and its basically a way for Bob to pat himself on the back and root for the good guys.

You don't have to be really politically invested to see why Bob responded so well to this movie.

On a lighter note, I'll consider a Captain Planet movie if Don Cheadle is playing Capt.