Escape to the Movies: Wreck-It Ralph

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Just got back from the first showing of this in my area. Gotta say, I enjoyed myself. While it's not the BEST movie I've seen this year (and I'm not even sure if I'd say it's the beast ANIMATED movie), I certainly had fun with it.

And Bob it right, it is most certainly MORE than just a parade of video game references.

Also:

Falterfire said:
At above: I didn't see Final Fantasy or Tron references, so if they're there, they're in the background.
Spoiled, just in case:

In one of the graffiti-covered tunnels leading to the power strip central, there's some graffiti on the wall that says "Aerith lives". Kinda wish I could actually pause the movie at those points, I'm sure there were a TON of references I couldn't catch. The only other one I remember at the moment is "Sheng Long was here".

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
"fanboys touting this as a Nintendo nostalgia trip" ... like you have been Bob?

Although your review is good for making me now want to see it as an actually decent movie...

charliesbass

Feb 22, 2012
Grenge Di Origin said:
charliesbass said:
Over the past few months, Bob has lost loads of his enthusiasm in his voice while reviewing. They're still great reviews, he just doesn't get excited any more, nor does he seem like he's enjoying any of it, which as a viewer, gives me a hard time enjoying it myself.
Seriously, I would've thought he would've been excited that a big-budget, DISNEY movie about video game characters actually turned out great.

But you gotta understand, to say that bad stuff happened to him this year is to put it mildly:
<youtube=Pw-KhSfjm3I>

Yeah, I guess you're right. I just really want to see him get excited for a movie again, like how excited he got for District 9 or The Avengers.

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
OH yay I cant wait to see this. Oh wait, the UK release date is February 2013.

Yeh fuck you Hollywood.

Xisin

Sep 1, 2009
GamemasterAnthony said:
Actually, I think they ARE releasing a Fix-It Felix game...though I think it's as either an XBLA title or as DSiWare. I'm not sure which, though...

BTW, you never told us: Do either Tron or Kingdom Hearts make an appearance?

CAPTCHA: this is not fake

I don't believe you. Sorry.
Here's the answer:
Looks like Kingdom Hearts. When Ralph goes into the bar, the camera pans and it seems Sora is having a drink.

I really adored this movie. My husband and I both pulled our version of an all nighter so we could see it before work. Was worth the missed sleep.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
This movie will be released.... in about 2 months.

It is ALMOST like the movie industry doesn't WANT me to buy tickets. In an age where data can be transferred at the speed of light why would I wait for it to finally reach theaters when a shady looking website is offering me the same movie, at a slightly reduced quality, right now.

If I wait two months I will probably forget the movie for another one playing at that time or maybe everyday life will be so hectic I don't have any time. I mean honestly take a good long look at yourself movie industry. Why does traditional cinema still exist?

I have a TV the size of a wall and a sound system that will make you deaf. Why do I need to wait 2 months for a movie that someone else is offering me free of charge (after they illegally videotaped it in Russia). Could I maybe stream it in a few weeks and not wait 4 months before it is finally stream-able?

No? You sure?

Guess you lost another sale then. I'll get around to watching it whenever. Maybe.

Lonewolfm16

Feb 27, 2012
I don't get why people are always so down on the whole "female charecter with fairly masculine traits" thing. Isn't the goal of sexual equality? That women can do the same things as men, the same way, and it doesn't have to be a big deal that they are women and vice-versa? What would the solution be? No girls in soldier roles? Any girls in there being stereotypical girly-girls who still somehow manage to hold their own?

Lonewolfm16

Feb 27, 2012
Father Time said:
"male character but with boobs"

Since you brought it up and decided to dwell on it.

Doesn't it outright say that there are certain ways female characters shouldn't behave. Like there are not tomboys and brutal women in real life.

It seems backwards that in a story where their sex shouldn't matter much they have to be written very differently.

Anyway nice review otherwise.

There's a only a few very retro games I care about (my first video game console I really liked was a PS1), so it's good to know the movie will be fun regardless.
Agreed. I posted pretty much the same thing before I read your post. Seriously wasn't getting rid of the concepts of acting "like a girl" and "like a boy" one of the main goals of the gender equality movement?

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Lonewolfm16 said:
I don't get why people are always so down on the whole "female charecter with fairly masculine traits" thing. Isn't the goal of sexual equality? That women can do the same things as men, the same way, and it doesn't have to be a big deal that they are women and vice-versa? What would the solution be? No girls in soldier roles? Any girls in there being stereotypical girly-girls who still somehow manage to hold their own?
Because you then bring up the question: "Why did you make that character a woman in the first place?" If you don't do anything that makes the audience aware of their gender besides just physical reasons you've failed as a writer. And the reason most game writers represent women that way is because most gamers despise "girly" things like insecurities, previous baggage, feminine hobbies or interests, or just making them aware of being women. Gamers hate being reminded of women so they try to make them as masculine as possible to pander to the demographic.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
MB202 said:
Again with the comparisons to Toy Story... Kind of like the comparisons to Who Framed Roger Rabbit, I've been told that they're similar, though this new movie can't quite stand up to them... Not that I blame it, those were two hard acts to follow. Also, I've been told the video game references die down around the beginning of the second act... Not that I care, I'm going to see it anyway, and I'm almost sure I'm going to love it regardless.
First off, love your avatar! I totally want to see Wario in this movie.
Secondly, i've been saying since the 1st trailer that Wreck-it Ralph was going to be the "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" of video games, what with all the cameos and in-jokes. I am totally gonna see this, THEN play some games in the cinema's arcade for old time's sake. Why wouldn't they make a tie-in arcade cabinet, too expensive?

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I have to see this movie. I mean I had already decided that as soon as the first trailer came out, but yeah now I absolutely KNOW I must see it.

Lonewolfm16

Feb 27, 2012
Aiddon said:
Lonewolfm16 said:
Because you then bring up the question: "Why did you make that character a woman in the first place?" If you don't do anything that makes the audience aware of their gender besides just physical reasons you've failed as a writer. And the reason most game writers represent women that way is because most gamers despise "girly" things like insecurities, previous baggage, feminine hobbies or interests, or just making them aware of being women. Gamers hate being reminded of women so they try to make them as masculine as possible to pander to the demographic.
I would say it is more for logic's sake. War is not the place for frilly, sensitive girly-girls, soldiers are generally portrayed as being tough, determined, and strong. These traits also tend to be viewed as masculine. As for why bother making her a women, why not? It's not like gender is really so important. I think a soldier can be male or female. Also how have you failed as a writer by not making people "aware of their gender"? Are you saying female soldiers should act diffrently than male ones? Why? People are people no matter their gender, and each has a personality all their own, again regardless of gender.

XDravond

Something something....
Mar 30, 2011
Sounds like something I really want to see, so now I guess I need to go in to a coma for the coming 3 months before it freaking shows up here...
Why do they have to keep on doing this only makes me seriously pissed. Me and most of the adults knows enough English to translate on the fly or without thinking about it, and interesting enough a lot of kids Wreck it Ralph aims supposedly aims itself at is able to do almost the same... And I don't think it takes 3 months extra to record translated voices... Almost happy UK has to wait for the "Europe release window" to though, it just makes you feel like there really isn't any point for Disney to wait 3 fracking months other than make more pirates...

oh well my coma might make me miss Christmas though so it might really, really be worth it.. Work on the other hand might not be to happy with me though... :)

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Lonewolfm16 said:
I would say it is more for logic's sake. War is not the place for frilly, sensitive girly-girls, soldiers are generally portrayed as being tough, determined, and strong. These traits also tend to be viewed as masculine. As for why bother making her a women, why not? It's not like gender is really so important. I think a soldier can be male or female. Also how have you failed as a writer by not making people "aware of their gender"? Are you saying female soldiers should act diffrently than male ones? Why? People are people no matter their gender, and each has a personality all their own, again regardless of gender.
Okay, here's some advice, anytime someone tells you that "it's just being realistic because it's war and all": THEY'RE FULL OF IT. A character is a person first and their occupation second. The reason that the "discarded their gender" cliche exists is because a lot of men are scared SHITLESS of writing women due to lack of experience and perspective. And then there's because the typical Western gamer HATES personal angst and emotional baggage. Y'know, the part that's kind of important so a character grows past it and goes through a proper arc?

Lonewolfm16

Feb 27, 2012
Aiddon said:
Lonewolfm16 said:
Okay, here's some advice, anytime someone tells you that "it's just being realistic because it's war and all": THEY'RE FULL OF IT. A character is a person first and their occupation second. The reason that the "discarded their gender" cliche exists is because a lot of men are scared SHITLESS of writing women due to lack of experience and perspective. And then there's because the typical Western gamer HATES personal angst and emotional baggage. Y'know, the part that's kind of important so a character grows past it and goes through a proper arc?
Yes a charecter is defined as a person first, but more tradtional femminity is incompatable with most war stories. Traits commonly described as feminine are sensitivty, pacifism, communicitveness, being afraid of conflict, concern for appearance, concern for romance, dislike of physical exertion, and respect for motherhood. You can clearly see that these traits are hard to fit into a charecter we are expected to belive is a capable soldier. In addtion as for the angst thing, I would like to point out that women don't inately have more angst than men. Sure, emotional baggage can make a good story (or break on depending on the writers and audience.) but why should a female soldier have more baggage than a male one? People are people first and their gender second. Why should a female act diffrently than a male during the course of a story? In my view gender is superflous, it doesn;t matter. Just like hair color, race, ect ect don't really matter to a charecter. Sure in some cases a story can explore a concept dealing with sexual identity but that doesn't mean that a female in a war story has to obsses over her femininity anymore than a male charecter would. Again people are people, no matter what their equipment.