Escape to the Movies: Wreck-It Ralph

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
ROBO_LEADER said:
Just saw it. Good, but not really "great" movie with an INCREDIBLE short film at the start. Seriously, Disney almost could have charged $10 for that alone.
Definitely agree. It almost seemed like a seamless mixture of both traditional hand drawn animation with CGI. It was really good. Made me feel all warm inside. :3

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Z of the Na said:
emeraldrafael said:
because disney just shelled out $4B to ensure we hve three MORE star wars films to ***** about.
...what does that have anything to do with Wreck-It Ralph?

Wrong thread, mi amigo.

OT: My roommates and I are going to see it tonight. Glad to see that MovieBob liked it.

Can't wait.

its meant to answer his hypothetical question at the end.

skylog

Nov 9, 2009
Trishbot said:
ROBO_LEADER said:
Just saw it. Good, but not really "great" movie with an INCREDIBLE short film at the start. Seriously, Disney almost could have charged $10 for that alone.
Thank you! I'm surprised Bob didn't mention it.

Before Wreck-It Ralph there's this absolutely beautiful and charming short film called "Paperman". Expect to see it at the very least nominated at the Oscars for best animated short. It was incredible to the point of overshadowing the movie, IMO. Wreck-It Ralph was just a bonus as far as I'm concerned.
YES! The short was amazing! Has anyone ever read the Flight Anthology comics? Paperman felt like it would fit right at home in one of them.

TheFurryChicken said:
Seriously, there in the end when there's the big action scene, I wanted him to declare "I'm gonna wreck it!" before going on his Heroic quest to save the universe.
Yeah, I was waiting for that the whole scene. Little disappointed it never happened. Would've given the scene that extra umph in emotion.

I.Muir

Jun 26, 2008
February for the UK?!
December for Australia
By that time they will be lucky if people don't just pirate it

Seriously by not releasing it everywhere simultaneously they are just asking people to just go ahead and download that film without paying for it rather than wait after hearing about the good reviews from America and all those spoilers

ServebotFrank

Jul 1, 2010
I never in a million years thought I would see a Metal Gear Solid reference or Kano ripping a guy's heart out in a Disney movie. I think there was a Portal reference but I'm not sure. I'm definitely buying it on DVD so I can try and catch every single detail. There will more than likely be a sequel, I can definitely see this as being a Toy Story thing.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
daxterx2005 said:
You think this series will get milked like crazy?
Why would it? Does Disney ever milk anything? except for the endless flood of "straight to dvd" disney cartoon sequels, but those seems to be an anomaly.

foxlovingfreak

Sep 9, 2009
after watching this review I like bob was wondering why they didn't relase an actual Fix it felix arcade cabiant. Then I loaded up my G4 app and decided to watch there intetview with the creators about how ralph is suppose to be in the next sonic racing game. And lo and behold the movie pepile have an actual fix it felix cabaint that plays the game. Why they decided not to mass produce them I have no idea.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
foxlovingfreak said:
after watching this review I like bob was wondering why they didn't relase an actual Fix it felix arcade cabiant. Then I loaded up my G4 app and decided to watch there intetview with the creators about how ralph is suppose to be in the next sonic racing game. And lo and behold the movie pepile have an actual fix it felix cabaint that plays the game. Why they decided not to mass produce them I have no idea.
You'd think that would be good for marketing the movie or something like that.

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
I loved Wreck-It Ralph, great movie. My favorite character was probably Vanellope, she was adorable, and I'm a fan of Sarah Silverman.

And unlike all of the ones that do, this movie really NEEDS to have a game made that's based on it.

kburns10

You Gots to Chill
Sep 10, 2012
I went to see the movie in Tempe, AZ. and there was actually a Fix It Felix, Jr. machine in the lobby! Sadly, I didn't get to play it. Looks like a different take on Donkey Kong.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Saw Wreck-It Ralph... Like geez, where do I even begin! I actually procrastinated a bit in posting this because I had trouble thinking up what to say about it. It's so freaking awesome, and NOT just because it's all about video games... In fact, like a lot of people have been saying,
the movie stops being about video games as a whole and starts focusing on the sweets-themed Sugar Rush work and about the characters and world the movie has set up. And that's a good thing! Well, the second part is, definitely, the first part, I don't know. The sweets-jokes didn't seem as funny to me as the video game jokes, but maybe that's just the nerd in me talking. The sweets-jokes were still funny, especially that Oreo one! You know the one I'm talking about! ;)

The character of "Wreck-It" Ralph is my favorite character in the whole movie, or at the very least, my second favorite, tied with the movie's villain, the Candy King, who I'll get to in a moment. It's weird I say that since protagonists aren't usually my favorite characters in a story, but I think, in a bit of genius reversal, Ralph's the villain, my typical favorite character, of the game he's in. Right off the bad he's immediately sympathetic, in that he doesn't seem like TOO bad a guy, he just does what he's programmed to do, and yet is treated like crap in the game he's in. It's understandable that he'd want more out of "life", but at the same time, he IS true to his program, in that he can be a BIT selfish and destructive, as well as short-tempered, which feeds his destructive nature. He definitely isn't intentionally, mean, though, and this is shown mid-way through to the end of the movie, where Ralph really proves himself a hero, not because he won a medal or anything, but because he did what he felt was right. Also, he's a big strong guy, and I like characters who are really big and really strong. Plus his hands... His huge hands... I wish I had hands like that!

The other characters... They're all great in their own unique way. I thought Fix-It Felix Jr. would be a BIT less oblivious then he was in the movie, as it turns out he doesn't seem to realize that the Nicelanders (the other people in his game) treat Ralph like crap. Then again, since Felix is programed to be a genuinely (and sometimes painfully) nice guy, he doesn't treat Ralph badly, but I feel like he would if he could. The fact that he's a "Jr." and that his Magic Hammer that fixes anything was given to him BY his supposed father makes me wonder what the first game was like, if there was one, or if there's more to the Fix-It Felix story/series than just this. I wouldn't mind exploring that, if there were any sequels to this movie, and it isn't the only thing (again, I'll get to that later). Vanellope von Schweetz is also very sympathetic, like Ralph, , though because she doesn't appear until a third into the movie, we don't really know that immediately, and she's mostly just annoying at first. Her "cuteness" factor doesn't do much for me, not in the same way that Ralph's "big guy" factor was a HUGE plus for me. That said, you really have to feel for her, being a glitch, unable to leave her game, being shunned, bullied and harassed by everyone... Of course, it gets worse when we find out that
Vanellope isn't really a glitch at all, the Candy King made her one, for reasons I'll get into later. The poor girl got treated like crap just because of this one other douchebag, but at least things are fixed in the end... Sort of, she's still a glitch and she still uses her glitchy powers... But instead of the game being shut down for it, plays enjoy, shall we say, "exploiting" her glitchy nature when she finally gets the chance to race? Hell, I think that's rather interesting, considering how most gamers react to glitches in competitive games... er-hem...
Sergeant Calhoun, now I've seen Jane Lynch's character on Glee, probably the most entertaining thing about that show, and here she's just phenomenal! If only video games could pull off badass female characters like this WITHOUT it being too exploitative. Hell, her sex isn't brought up at ALL, save the parts where Felix is fawning over her, and the movie doesn't treat her, or rather, her body like something to be ogled over, either, so it just comes to show how far more competent, or rather, mature movies are in that regard, in that a movie version of a video game character is way more respectable than 90% of most video game women!

And then there's the Candy King, a character who basically is just as important as the other four "main characters" but doesn't get top billing... Then again, perhaps that's a good thing, considering he's a huge part of the major twist of the movie that makes it, AND his character so much more awesome. The Candy King is the ruler of Sugar Rush, and also it's best racer, and keeps Vanellope from racing because she's a glitch and doesn't want to endanger his game not just for him but for everyone. Really, it seems reasonable enough, even if the way he goes about dealing with intruders is kind of rude/mean and the way he deals with Vanellope is even crueler. That is until mid-way through the movie, when something's amiss...
Vanellope's picture is on the arcade machine, meaning she IS an intended character and not just a glitch... Ralph finds out that the Candy King made her a glitch by messing with the game's code, and locked away the memories of all the character of the game to forget about who she was before he did it. Apparently, having her cross the finish line reverses the effect, for whatever reason, though one has to wonder why the Candy King did that... And then comes the big twist, though first comes some explaining... See, the characters keep using the phrase "going Turbo" when it comes to game-jumping, in reference to a character called "Turbo Racer", the star of his own arcade racer until another racing game came around and Turbo, not wanting to be outdone, jumped into that game and messed things up for BOTH games, as they were deemed "out of order" and removed from the arcade. It was assumed that Turbo disappeared along with those games... But in reality, he fled to Sugar Rush and became the Candy King! He got rid of Vanellope, the best racer in the game and the ACTUAL ruler, by making her a glitch and took over, and Vaneloppe's glitchy state revealed who the Candy King truly was! I have to admit, I didn't suspect that the Candy King might be Turbo until shortly before the reveal, but even still, it was a good twist, and it gets even better when a Cybug eats him and somehow transformer him INTO a Cybug, which Ralph battles on the top of Diet Cola Mountain in an epic climax!
Seriously, the Candy King might just go down in history as one of the better Disney villains just because of that! He's certainly going to be in at LEAST my top 10, if not my top 5. I also have to admit, his goofy mannerisms does nice to off-set his truly mean nature. His design is also really neat, too, a short big-headed old guy, dancing around like a lunatic in royal garments. It's been said that he's heavily influenced by the Mad Hatter from Disney's Alice in Wonderland (the original one, not the Johnny Depp one) and I can definitely see that, which is another reason why he's one of my favorites! I also have to admit,
when he's trying to explain to Ralph that if their game is shut down, Vanellope would be trapped and thus gone for good if that happens, so in a way, the Candy King is keeping her from racing to keep her safe! That was actually a really effective scene, and it had me questioning whether or not he really is a bad guy...
Seriously, Alan Tudyk just NAILS this role, NAILS it, almost as well as John C. Reily and Jane Lynch nail their respective roles!

I saw this movie with my best friend, who also plays a lot of video games, and I wanted to bring him as a means to nudge on the shoulder and go "OH LOOK, IT'S SONIC" and stuff when certain scenes and cameos popped up.
And while it's kind of sad that most of the video game references take place during the first third of the movie
, they definitely do NOT disappoint with the references, from Sonic giving a PSA ("That's NO good!"), to a would-be Kano performing a fatality on a zomibe (seriously would ANYONE expect THAT out of a Disney movie?), to Ralph visiting the tavern from the arcade game "Tapper", to Ralph searching the tavern's lost and found and
finding an exclamation point from Metal Gear Solid (it even does the same sound effect; everyone in the theater laughed)!
But like I said
the video game references don't flood the movie, and some might be disappointed with that. I was a tad disappointed when I found out there would only be 3 video game worlds explored in this movie, when I thought I was getting a run-through of all the different generations of gaming. Hell, even what they do have...
Well, Fix-It Felix Jr. and Hero's Duty are both good, the characters in Fix-It Felix Jr. are all jerky like they would be in a 1980's arcade game, and Hero's Duty is your top-of-the-line First-Person Shooter and looks the best out of all of them. But Sugar Rush... looks like any old CG animated movie you see and not like a video game, ESPECIALLY not a video game from the 90's. Although, when the race actually DOES occur, it DOES feel reminiscent of Mario Kart, so there's that. I also catch the barkeep (voiced by the awesome Maurice LaMarche) from Tapper being all jerky, too. I don't know what it is about that, but I like it.

The premise of a movie is also very good, good enough for sequels even (though these days, it feels like that's sort of a monkey's paw kind of wish). The idea that characters are programmed to do one thing, and that they have little to not choice but to comply with them is a scary though, especially if your programming requires you to be a bad guy and lose like Ralph, or to have terrible things happen to you like Calhoun. The idea that
you can access a game's code
is also an interesting idea, and I'd LOVE to see it explored further. I've heard it said that this movie is good though not perfect, and I can sort of see why. Unlike the obvious comparisons to Who Framed Roger Rabbit and Toy Story, there are a LOT more rules to this movie's universe that need explaining, and while it didn't hurt the movie for me, or were even that intrusive, it DOES mean that the movie has to explain why there can't be simple solutions to problems that don't seem like a big deal a moment ago... Then again, I'm probably used to that, reading a lot of Shonen Jump manga in which new rules are given to a story every other chapter to up the stakes when all it does is make things more confusing and hard to keep track of... Aside from the twist, what also surprised me about this movie was how emotional it can get. The characters are so well-developed and likable, even the Candy King at first, that it really pulls of the sadder scenes. I was practically close to tears when
Ralph wrecks Vanellope's car to prevent her from racing, while Vanellope was crying in the background and Ralph in internal pain forcing himself to do it because he thinks it's for her own good... I didn't cry, but then again, it's very rare when a movie genuinely makes me cry.

So, all-in-all, excellent movie! Great characters, good story, awesome premise, hilarious jokes, perhaps not quite as timeless as Roger Rabbit or Toy Story, but definitely one to see/remember in my book. A-, 4.75 stars out of 5, 3 thumbs up, whatever, good see and enjoy...

Oh yeah, and Paperman... It rivals Day and Night as one of the most visually impressive shorts under Disney's roof. Although unlike Day and Night which is Pixar, Paperman was made by Walt Disney Animation Studios, but like Day and Night, this one pretty much blends 2D and 3D animation, though in a way that's completely seemless and makes you question whether something was hand-drawn or computer. The story itself does make it feel like one of those student films, or Hell, maybe I'm just not used to the idea of an ambiguous story in short films. A guy meets a girl, notices she's in the building across from his, and tries to get her attention with countless paper airplanes. It has quite a few funny moments, though isn't quite a comedy like the main feature. It definitely WAS a treat to see it, though, and if Wreck-It Ralph isn't remembered by history or movie-buffs, this short definitely will be... I hope.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Darth_Payn said:
Why wouldn't they make a tie-in arcade cabinet, too expensive?
They DID make actual tie-in arcade cabinets... They just didn't put them in theaters.

Louzon

Apr 9, 2009
AJey said:
Hmm... am I the only one not excited about this movie? I feel that instead of trying to evoke my interest, they are trying to evoke my nostalgia instead. And I dont like that!
It's really good. Like MovieBob said, they show the nostalgia characters pretty much EXACTLY enough to balance between stuffing them down our throats and having people say "What the hell? They promised video game characters and I don't see enough!"

I've been telling people that my general review of the movie is this: If you are not a gamer, the story is engaging and you will like it. If you ARE a gamer, above the story, there are tiny, subtle hints at many gaming jokes and programming things that really add a nice icing to the cake. It's really a great movie.

...and as a bonus, the little 5 minute short movie at the beginning of all the Disney movies is easily at LEAST my #2 favorites of all of them...have to think back to see if there was one I liked more. lol

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Absolutely loved it, one of the few movies that had me smiling through the entire way. Had to see the 3D version and I completely forgot I was wearing the glasses, which means you know it's worth your time.

OH YES, and don't forget the short at the beginning of the movie! That short alone was worth the cost of admission, really well done.

walsfeo

Feb 17, 2010
Great review. These are always better when Bob is passionate about the movie subject.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Absolutely loved this movie. It currently finds itself in a knife fight with WALL-E for the position as my favorite Pixar flick. Toy Story still sits in third, watching while eating popcorn.

EDIT: Wait a minute... this isn't even a Pixar movie. Well, totally dropped that ball. WALL-E gets to keep its crown. And third place goes to, eh, I dunno.