Escape to the Movies: Your Highness

aaronmcc

Oct 18, 2008
metalmanky306 said:
aaronmcc said:
vrbtny said:
To be honest, seeing the trailer, I mistook Natalie Portman as Kiera Knightely....
except Nat-P has a body like WOW oh WOW! Knightly is pretty but in an androgynous stick figure stylee.
yes...

aaronmcc said:
rayen020 said:
HankMan said:
Okay Natalie, Now you've made-up for two of the prequels.
??? she's had 3 good movies.
V for vendetta
Black Swan
Your Highness

also
No strings attatched
The other boleyn girl
Tho-

No i won't say thor not until it's proven good... I don't wanna jinx it.
Leon gives Portman a get-out-of-jail-free card for everything bad she ever does EVER.
YES!!! you sir, are clever!
Thank you sir. Our mutual appreciation of Natalie Portman unites us across the interwebs!

LulzOdin

Mar 15, 2011
Hmm, I must say though your Hercules skits stole the show XD
I think I'm gonna try to find it. Looks so ridiculous it might actually be funny.

beema

Aug 19, 2009
I think it's becoming more and more clear that bob likes shitty movies. Shitty movies tailored to appeal to film-buff dorks.

I really cant stand the gang of people involved with this film. Everything they make just feels like a big circle jerk. Like they are all sitting around guffawing about how awesome their little clique is because they are all sooooooooo funny.

Bob described this movie as a one trick pony, and for some reason that's good? I might of liked crap like this when I was 14, but now I need something that has more than one beaten-to-death joke in it.

Also Bob, out of all the movies you crammed in the beginning there, why did you choose this one for the lengthy review, even after admitting there's not much you can say about it because the only thing you could tell are the jokes, which would spoil it?
You don't make any sense.

Zom-B

Feb 8, 2011
I think Bob totally missed the point of this movie. He's thinking "stoner, slacker, fantasy comedy" when he should be thinking Evil Dead and Army of Darkness.

Your Highness was hilarious. Sure, Natalie Portman was mostly a bit stiff and didn't get to have any big laughs, but the banter between Thadeus, Courtney and Fabius was hysterical. They took many of the fantasy genre tropes and made fun of them.

What really made the movie, and I almost hate to say it, but I don't, was the swearing and the feeling that Thadeus was born about a thousand years too early and into a fantasy kingdom he didn't fit into.

If you like funny and you like fantasy, I think this is totally worth seeing. We laughed through the whole movie.

cairocat

Oct 9, 2009
In other news:

Sales of Hercules are up 2300% from 1 to 23 purchases the past week. People are also walking out of Source Code 15 minutes early, and hospital ERs are receiving large amounts of patients tricked by MovieBob into seeing Your Highness.

NicolasMarinus

Sep 21, 2009
MovieBob said:
Your Highness

MovieBob ponders whether adding stoners to D&D makes for good comedy.

Watch Video
Question for you Bob. How do you decide which movie to review? Are you given that choice yourself or is that decided by the Escapist? Because based on your previous reviews and "Big picture" series, "Super" would seem your preferred dish of the week.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Really? I heard Insidious was good for like...45 minutes, then just took a nosedive and crashlanded in the middle of Shitty Town.

anonymity88

Sep 20, 2010
Did anybody else see a 3 headed robot dragon in the Hercules montage at the end, or is that just wishful thinking?

TheMann

Jul 13, 2010
Sober Thal said:
EDITED...

Hanna
Source Code
Insidious
Super

Four movies Bob doesn't review because of what again?

Or just is Bob giving a foreshadow of what the next weeks hold for his 'review' pieces...

Only time will tell.
So I wasn't the only one a little irked by that too. Good. I really wanted to know about both Source Code and Hanna, because I might want to see them but instead he reviews a movie that I have absolutely no desire to see, just so he'd have an excuse to show Lou Ferrigno's Hercules. Yes, I know which movies people want to see is subjective, but I just feel that he's passing up movies that might be genuinely interesting in favor of those that are way more stupid just so he can do half a review and go off on a tangent (the bear in space was funny though). Come on, Bob. Watch your own review of Inception, specifically the part about the way Hollywood views its audience. Please don't start treating us that way too.

Hawgh

Dec 24, 2007
It seems like the movie adaption of your average slightly derailed D&D campaign. Those are generally fun, I could see this being entertaining as well.

Cellseam

Mar 28, 2011
yes, I heart middle age period narratives and I do not heart stoner comedies. It's not my thing. what's wrong with that? if you like it, whatever.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA IT'S FUNNY BECAUSE HE SAID THE "FUCK" WORD!!!!!
Are you sure haven't seen the whole movie? Cause you just described the punchline of EVERY joke in the movie.

OT: It was sorta funny, it had no real lasting humor, just a whole bunch of throwaway jokes (like the first panel of the Newspaper funnies, the panels that are just space wasters and a little set up). I'll probably check out Hanna soon (hopefully it's less shaky cam than Bourne) and maybe I'll check out the other movies you recommended (minus the Animals one, I'll just rent that one on DVD). One good movie I would recommend is Lincoln Lawyer though, good little legal thriller

Oh and I'm definitely gonna go get Hercules from my Library now. That looked 10X funnier than what I saw with Your Highness

enriquetnt

Mar 20, 2010
minus 100 brownie points for using the censored version of the portman,s swimsuit (go watch the redband trailer the "actual" thong (it IS a thong) leaves nothing to the imagination (not that portman has much to show but at least she doesnt look as crazy anorexic as she did in black swan)i leave proof below

[http://img801.imageshack.us/i/natalieportmanthongyour.jpg/]

enriquetnt

Mar 20, 2010
yep the CENSORED the trailer, the redban overseas trailer has the actual armored thong in it, the american one has this brown fabric thing

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
I agree with your comment on Source Code, Bob, my sentiments exactly. You actually made me want to see Hercules more than any of those other movies though.

Phatnacky

Sep 20, 2010
Cellseam said:
Nope. Don't care. I don't care if you praise it to the level of watchmen. I'm not watching Hollywood purposefully fucking over the middle ages.

but on board with hanna. Ha, Matt Damon as a little girl. Yep, that's about right, hopefully less shaky cam.
Ya know the funny thing is ...if you took out the comedy it would have been a pretty good stand alone quest D&D style movie. I also find it od that bob didn't mention that the only use of drugs accrued in the first 20 or so mins of the movie. Its not so much a spoof of the genre.
Its more so like The Princess Bride but with dick humor instead of wit.

sporkaganza

Apr 17, 2011
For all of you people bitching about Bob picking the wrong movie to review, you must be pretty forgetful.

Bob has specifically stated that 1) the movies to review are picked months in advance and 2) they are not picked by him.

So I can identify with wishing that he'd pick more interesting movies to review, but ultimately that's just not up to him, and it's no use complaining about him when it's not his fault.

I can't find the video, but I know he's said it somewhere, and I will try to find it so I don't just look like a huge asshole.

rddj623

"Breathe Deep, Seek Peace"
Sep 28, 2009
I concur Bob, twas a fun and funny distraction. :) Nothing of consequence but with some decent action sequences, some funny plays on the genre, and Natalie Portman in a metal thong. Why not?

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
Well at least there's a lot of new stuff us people in Australia might one day get to see.
But anyway onto the review.

Between scathing reviews, word of mouth and the lousy trailer I gotta say 'Your Highness' is not looking good to me. Granted Natalie Portman is gorgeous and the possiblity of seeing her in an armored thong is fantastic but still if I want to do that, I'll use the pictures downloaded from the internet.
From what I hear the jokes are bad, the story is stupid and the whole thing is a juvenile mess. I cannot for the life of me understand how well recognized actors like James Franco, Zooey Derchanel and Natalie Portman got signed on.
My only guess is all the money that should have gone into the special effects, was done to pay the actors. Then again Portman in particular is a strange sort, I mean after delivering an Oscar winning performance in Blach Swan she went on to do a romantic comedy with Ashton Kutcher.
Strange woman...

But still, as posters said before, Leon: The Proffession, V for Vendetta and Black Swan will forever redeem anything bad Portman's ever in and cement her as a great recognized actress.
Zooey Derchanel is still charming and likeable in all her movies.
And as for James Franco? Well... he's handsome, he can get away with whatever he wants.
[sub]My god is James Franco handsome..[/sub]

Anyway, all in all, good review but not tempted to see Your Highness. Largely because it looks really bad and forgettable, even if it does have some great actors in it. I love the idea of a fantasy themed comedy movie, but for some reason all the ones I've seen aren't very good.