Escapism UK 2012: Official Thread!

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
[HEADING=1]Escapism UK 2012[/HEADING]
[HEADING=2]Location: Manchester[/HEADING]
[HEADING=3]13th July - 15th July[/HEADING]​

Hi there! Welcome to the official thread for Escapism 2012. This is an event in the UK[footnote]Although we welcome people from Europe and America[/footnote] (and Ireland) Where we host a large get-together of forum members. This years event is being organised by myself and [user]Revelo[/user].

We have an age limit of 15+ unless you get permission from an adult[footnote]That is to say, a parent or relative. Not some random guy =P[/footnote]. There's also only 30 places available (Including the organisers), and people who are a member of the Escapism UK [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Escapism-UK] User Group will get priority.
-Currently there are 18 places booked.

This is a yearly event, made by forum members, for forum members. Since the staff is not involved, this means you have to pay for yourself.

We usually stay at a pre-chosen Hostel (Which are way cheaper than hotels). This will mean dormitories of around 8-10 people per room. We usually book a full room though, so you're only sharing with fellow Escapists.[footnote]If you're uncomfortable sharing a room with another member going, please PM me privately and I'll make sure you're both in separate rooms. Hopefully this won't happen though[/footnote]

We also tend to do some pre-booked activities as well. Paintball has been done every year, and this year we're also hoping to include Go-Karting and Bowling. However, you will also have to pay for these yourselves. You won't be forced to, though. If you don't wish to take part in an activity, you don't have to.

Other than that, there are unplanned things to do as well, such as getting to know more members of the community, and general shennanigans. There will probably be a pub visit or two, but we ask that underage Escapists don't try to trick us unto buying them alcohol. We also ask that the older Escapists drink responsibly. (As we've had injuries and illness in the past. It's for your own good!)

* This event is purely for fun, if you decide to cause trouble, pick a fight, or damage anything, you will be asked to leave.
* If you lose anything, or have something stolen. Please report it to the Hostel itself. We cannot be responsible for your personal items on this trip. So please keep any valubles on your person at all times.
* Please do not bring your own alcohol. The hostel prohibits alcohol in the rooms, and so do we. (This goes for drugs as well, but I really shouldn't have to say that).
* Have fun!

Hostel:
This years hostel will be around 42pp[footnote]All prices are in British Pounds.[/footnote]. This is for 2 nights. The price is subject to change depending on how many people attend. Currently we have 28 beds booked. This can be changed to 30 if we get the maximum amount of attendees. The hostel will provide breakfast, but no other meals.

Paintball:
15-30pp. This doesn't include extra paintballs though. These prices are also subject to change if we ca get a group discount. This event will be on the Saturday morning.

Go-Karting:
20pp. The time limit will be around 90 minutes, and the maximum is 15 people. (Again, members of the user group will get priority, so join it if you're 100% set on attending!) This event will be on the Saturday afternoon/evening.

Bowling:
9.70pp for two games, and an additional game for 2.00. This will most likely be done on the Friday afternoon/evening.

Please also remember to bring extra money for food and travel, as we cannot pay your travel expenses either. We will most likely have to get a bus or tram to some of the activities.

-Note: If you decide to drop out after paying a deposit, you will not be given a refund. If it's under special circumstances, you may be given a refund after the trip has finished. We do not have enough money to pay for extra places when someone leaves.

If you have any questions, please feel free to post them in the thread, or quote me directly! (But remember to snip most of the text out, to save bandwidth).
Alternatively, you can visit the User Group [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Escapism-UK] Where more information about the hostel and activities are posted on the home page. You can also ask questions in the Group chat. If you wish to just express interest in coming, PM me or [user]Revelo[/user].

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
Matthew94 said:
Wow, you are including Ireland?

It's usually always

"Hey this [insert product/event] is for the UK"

(excluding NI)

Fuuuuu etc
We've had at least 1 person from Ireland every year. =P Doesn't matter if it's North or South.

We don't get a lot of Irish 'cause of travel expenses though.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
While I would love to attend but sadly I'm short on cash (I'm saving it for another different event). So have fun anyway!

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
I'll pass on a dingy hostel, surely it'd be cheaper in a travelodge or something similar too as they do deals like £17.50 a room (double/twin)? Plus alcohol in rooms won't be a problem either, maybe I'm just old(er) and jaded. :p

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
GoaThief said:
I'll pass on a dingy hostel, surely it'd be cheaper in a travelodge or something similar too as they do deals like £17.50 a room (double/twin)? Plus alcohol in rooms won't be a problem either, maybe I'm just old(er) and jaded. :p
I dunno, we've never had much luck with normal cheap hotels. Besides, the hostels we've been too in previous years have been pretty good. (Bar one =P but we were inexperienced at that time.)

And the Alcohol in the rooms thing would still apply, since I have to be responsible for everyone going, so I don't want people getting alcohol poisoning or throwing up when I'm not around to make sure they're okay.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
I'm just sad that I'm going to be in Manchester for the MCM Comic Con 6 days after you guys leave :(
Oh well, next year (which is also what I said last year but hey ho)