Escapism UK Needs You

Andalusa

Mad Cat Lady
Feb 25, 2008
Greetings!

As many of you might be aware there is a small community of this website's users (and ex-users) that meet up twice a year to engage in a number of shenanigans. Starting humbly in 2009, the event known as Escapism UK has grown an extraordinary amount, from a handful of people, we now see an average of 20 like minded nerds meeting up and having a jolly old time.

While we're not an official group, our affiliation with the Escapist only going so far as us being members of the website, our little community run escapades have been recognised by the powers that be. You can read the article here.

As you can tell, there is no issue with attendance, but what myself and the other organisers have agreed upon is that we would love to see some new faces at the events.

Each time a post is made after an event we do have some interest, people saying they wished they had known about it earlier, that they would have gone, etc. When we post during the organisation process, there is also a little interest from the community, but this kind of thing can easily be forgotten about, or a person might talk themselves out of actually attending. I can understand that there might be some trepidation at the prospect of meeting randos from the internet, but after nearly 8 years, there has never been an issue.

With all of that said, if you do hold some vague interest, I encourage you to get involved. Now it will be easier than ever as, following our annual winter meetup, the organisers have expanded the platforms on which we can be reached.

Of course we have the Escapist Group here.

Alongside that we have:

Facebook
Twitter
Discord

There have been talks about setting up an Escapism UK Twitch as a few of us regularly stream games. Please let me know if that's something you would be interested in.

If you would like a slightly more private way of getting in touch, I manage the email address and you can send any questions there or you can PM me on twitter.
[email protected]

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
That sounds amazing!

As someone who has definitely not attended more than zero Escapism events, I have to ask, when is the next event going to take place?

Andalusa

Mad Cat Lady
Feb 25, 2008
The next event takes place next summer, 6th-8th of July, we'll be taking host cities into consideration in the new year.

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
Alright, you convinced me

I'm gonna come for 2017, believe me

Aerosteam

Sep 22, 2011
Revelo said:
The Twitch is one example of how we want to try and interact with people from Escapism and beyond.
What is the Twitch thing anyway? Is it a single account that multiple Escapism attendees can use?

Andalusa

Mad Cat Lady
Feb 25, 2008
Aerosteam said:
What is the Twitch thing anyway? Is it a single account that multiple Escapism attendees can use?
The plan is to have a single account that multiple Escapees can access, we'll probably limit it to about 3 to begin with and if other people stream then we will host their channels, if it's a success, or we find an easier way of doing things, we'll change it up as we go along.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Just so people know, it's not limited to UK attendees either - we've had a number of people join us over the years from the Netherlands, one from the USA, and the Emerald Isle itself, and even the distant wilds of Scotland! Although we did have to teach the Scottish attendees basic manners and proper tea drinking, to civilise them prior to allowing them to mingle with decent folk...

Point is, the more the merrier, if you can make it to the UK then we'll welcome you with open arms!

Aerosteam

Sep 22, 2011
Trivun said:
Although we did have to teach the Scottish attendees basic manners and proper tea drinking, to civilise them prior to allowing them to mingle with decent folk...
Maybe Abyss, but not me.

I'm never going to drink tea properly.