Escapist adverts are out of control...

TheLastSamurai14

Last day of PubClub for me. :'-(
Mar 23, 2011
inb4 SO MUCH PUBCLUB PLUGGING!

Oh...god damn it guys, you all beat me to it.

OT: Try refreshing the page. That'll usually load a new advert or move the current one to its correct position.

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
Marter said:
Sassafrass said:
That be a case of bugged advert you have there. Tricky blighter, that. Report it here. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Tech-Team]

And it has happened to me before, but not on this ad as I'm in the Pub Club.
And I want the adverts back, actually. The motto thingy gets dull after a month or so.
It's only boring for me because I never get to see mine. I saw it once in the first week of getting Pub Club, and I've yet to see it in the last few months after.

But I agree: Ads are probably more interesting.

OT: Never happened to me. And I don't mind ads all that much.
Never seen mine to be honest, but I see the same ones over and over and over again

jamart

Feb 16, 2011
I have adverts obstructing almost every news post/article I read, which is why i've stopped reading articles here full stop.

Also....

ENOUGH WITH THE SKYRIM ADS! ITS A GAMER WEBSITE! WE KNOW ABOUT SKYRIM! IF WE HAVEN'T GOT IT YET WE EITHER DON'T WANT IT OR CAN'T AFFORD IT GRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!

seriously though... every website i go to seems to have a skyrim advert...

I've even had pre-video skyrim adverts runnign concurrently with a video caption ad for... Skyrim!

edit: Not against Escapist having ads, they've got to make some money form this, as runnign the website sure as hell wouldn't be free.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
I wonder how long before people stop reading the replies and start rolling out the copypasta response....

iRevanchist said:
stop bitching about teh ads. the escapist needs money to continue to have good shows and a server in general. if you don't wanna see the ads, just get a pub club membership.
Ah. There it is. Stimulus-response: See "Ads suck", automatically respond with "Buy pubclub".
And once again, this sort of argument completely fails to even look at the problem.

To actually address the point: Your "buy pubclub" logic only applies to existing regulars who have at least some vested interest in the site to lose.

Future new users however (which is really what the Escapist wants), aren't going to stick around if the ads are so obnoxious that it actively prevents them from viewing the content.
I almost left early on when the flash ads were so bandwidth-hungry and buggy that it would cause my entire browser to hang/lag for upwards of 10 seconds each time I moved between pages.

It used to interfere with MY OTHER OPEN TABS/WINDOWS (eventually, the ads were pulled or fixed).
That's not an incentive for me to "pubclub it away", that's an incentive for me to go somewhere else. If something pisses me off, I'm not going to bribe them to stop; I'm going to take my business elsewhere.

mParadox

Susurration
Sep 19, 2010
Country
Germany
doggie015 said:
a larger avatar that is yours to keep even if membership lapses and the ability to make a custom forum title that is yours to keep even if membership lapses
I don't remember reading that. o.o *goes to read the rules again* Nope. It doesn't say that anywhere. Or am I missing the fine print here? *is confused* D:

jamart

Feb 16, 2011
Also, NO I won't download adblock, as it prevents Escapist getting revenue.

Also, NO i won't go Pubclub, I'm happy to deal with adverts that don't take the p*** and I can't afford pubclub at the moment.

Also, short of the adverts, that I can put up with, of the list someone posted above, Pubclub doesn't seem to appeal in the slightest.

(bit offtopic re: 'free entry to comps' are they even worldwide?)

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
doggie015 said:
Ilikemilkshake said:
The video ads that play before video content are particularly annoying for me.
For some reason they stop the video im trying to watch from loading, so i have to keep refreshing the page until the ad decides to give up and stop starting itself/stopping my video...
Buy a pubclub membership and the ads don't even load while the subscription is current. I am MUCH happier with the website now that I don't see those ads!
You sound so much like an ad bot in this thread that it's actually quite hilarious.

GRoXERs

Feb 4, 2009
For a while there, I couldn't get on to the Escapist because a combination of Flash 11 not playing nicely with Opera 11 and terribly coded banner ads meant my browser crashed every time I tried to load any Escapist page. New flash update means I'm much less bothered by the ads. And, seriously people, if you're using that browser-extension-that-must-not-be-named, unblock the Escapist and other sites that you actually like. That's how the internet remains largely free. It's important, from an economic (and moral!) standpoint. By viewing the content that people spend so much time creating, it becomes your moral responsibility to also at least load the ads that are on the same page as interesting content, so that the people in question get paid for their work.

EricKei

Aug 30, 2010
Personally - I don't have a problem with the presence of the ads. I DO have a problem with the ads themselves covering up the menus and the content. That's just sloppy coding. I'm having the same issue with the paired banners up top (in this instance, one for a video card from TB and one for the imp hats) -- I believe that their intention was to have both ads show up next to the logo, with the menu bar below them. Instead, the imp hat banner covers up almost the entire menu bar, breaking some forum functionality.

Dec 16, 2009
ashley1992 said:
I get those ads and they are increasingly annoying because they accentually stop you from clicking on the topics on the page ( I had to refresh the browser 5 times to get an advert that didn't block the forum search button) I don't mind the ads, they pay for the site but an ad that actively stops you looking at the site is definitely a bad idea
^this I wouldnt block ads as i like to support the sites i use. I could end up walking away completely though (its not that bad yet)

RuralGamer

Jan 1, 2011
1. Yes that has been happening to me quite a bit and its annoying having to reload pages in order to read stuff/click stuff.
2. Meh; adverts are adverts and to be honest, I don't really notice them much these days; advertising has become so commonplace I think I've become pretty think-skinned to them.

team star pug

Sep 29, 2009
EricKei said:
Personally - I don't have a problem with the presence of the ads. I DO have a problem with the ads themselves covering up the menus and the content. That's just sloppy coding. I'm having the same issue with the paired banners up top (in this instance, one for a video card from TB and one for the imp hats) -- I believe that their intention was to have both ads show up next to the logo, with the menu bar below them. Instead, the imp hat banner covers up almost the entire menu bar, breaking some forum functionality.
RuralGamer said:
1. Yes that has been happening to me quite a bit and its annoying having to reload pages in order to read stuff/click stuff.
2. Meh; adverts are adverts and to be honest, I don't really notice them much these days; advertising has become so commonplace I think I've become pretty think-skinned to them.
SCREEN SHOTS, GEMME SCREEN SHOTS

tahrey

Sep 18, 2009
Just to say, TSP, you're not alone, I've had a couple like that - and it wasn't even the same ad. It seems more like it's a buggy ad-container on a few, rare pages...

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
And before anyone asks, PicPick [http://www.picpick.org/] is a good screengrab program. The free version includes several features others usually reserve for paid versions.

If you're into the portable thing. Portablefreeware [http://www.portablefreeware.com/?sc=184] has several.

Now banish those low quality screenshots!

BoredDragon

Feb 9, 2011
Since this is the only way to make money right now, I don't have any problem with their ads, especially since I go to other websites where the presence of ads are made even more apparent. I do really hate when people complain about a service they get for free.

EricKei

Aug 30, 2010
ThyNameIsMud said:
SCREEN SHOTS, GEMME SCREEN SHOTS
With pleasure, my good Sir.

Firefox eight point zilch, Win7 64bit Pro

[http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y194/keijira/?action=view&current=esc_broken_ads.jpg]