Escapist Editors in the Midst of an Exodus?! -Updated-

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
So apparently Greg Tito (the Escapist's EiC), Ross Lincoln, Elizabeth Harper and Carly Smith are leaving the site.

https://twitter.com/the_moviebob/status/557748342860840960

There are also a number of other tweets floating around from different people that seem to corroborate this, including this one:

https://twitter.com/roseofbattle/status/557645405606121473

Greg Tito is also no longer listed as the EiC of the Escapist on his Twitter profile.

Keep in mind that none of this (save Carly's case) is official until the site announces it, but still, Jim Sterling's departure and now this? What the hell's going on at the Escapist?!

Update

According to Greg and Archon it was a budget-related mass layoff. See below:

Archon said:
We made some tough decisions yesterday that impacted several staffers from The Escapist, GameTrailers, and GameFront. The contributions of the talented writers and editors we had to let go will definitely be missed. However, all of the properties are continuing to serve the gamer audience going forward. Here at The Escapist, Josh Vanderwall, the managing editor under Greg Tito, will be taking over as the new editor-in-chief. Look for his first editor's note, re-introducing himself to you all, later today.
He also denied the rumors that Defy media was planning to merge its outlets.

Archon said:
Fappy said:
Is a merger in the cards or is that just speculation? I assume it's not if we're getting a new EiC for the Escapist itself.
It's speculation. All of those properties are aimed at gamers, but each of those properties does different things in different ways for gamers. The goal is to have the sites support each other at each doing what they are best at. So look to see an intra-site re-focusing combined with inter-site cooperation.

While the notion of creating walking tanks with howitzers seems awesome, actually we will have tanks, infantry, and howitzers, and they will work together in a combined-arms task force. This metaphor seems sensible to me but I have been watching a lot of Robotech lately.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
The end is nigh? :c

But seriously, I'm at a loss after seeing this. How the hell is this site even going to function at this point?

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Why is the Escapist's EiC position seem to be such a damn curse? Seriously, something must be going on behind the scene a lot that causes us to lose so many EiC. It's actually rather concerning to be honest.

But man this site has changed since I joined all those years ago. I remember when I used to see all the news contributions by people with Gold usernames. But now, I only see like one or two and that's it.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
More confirmation tweets:

https://twitter.com/Rossalincoln/status/557638225494573057

https://twitter.com/Faience/status/557632303158276096

See Tito's profile blurb:

https://twitter.com/Gregtito

My gut tells me that this was either an expected series of layoffs or an organized walk-out. The site's been bleeding talent for awhile now, so if this was an executive decision it sure was a stupid one. The editorial staff is the backbone of a news outlet and gutting it like this is, well... let's just say I'd be shocked this site still at all resembles the Escapist we know and love once the dust has settled.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Jesus. They're just outright hemorrhaging people at this point.

That many people all at once strikes me as too many to be a coincidence. That's looks like either a lay-off or a walk-out.

At this juncture Yahtzee could probably single-handedly kill the site if he felt like it.

I'm usually one to roll my eyes at cries of, "The end is nigh", but at this point I'd say it's definitely time to start looking for a fallback position at the very least.

Anyone know of a good geeky forum? Healthy population, decent moderation, minimum of bitter conspiracy theorists?

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Zhukov said:

That many people all at once strikes me as too many to be a coincidence. That's looks like either a lay-off or a walk-out.

At this juncture Yahtzee could probably single-handedly kill the site if he felt like it.

I'm usually one to roll my eyes at cries of, "The end is nigh", but at this point I'd say it's definitely time to start looking for a fallback position at the very least.

Anyone know of a good geeky forum? Plenty of members, decent moderation, minimum of bitter conspiracy theorists?
If I had the time (and expertise) I'd start one at this point D:

I'm in panic mode!

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Like rats from a sinking ship.

R.I.P Escapist, I knew you well.

How long before Yahtzee follows Jim's lead, I wonder? Because Jim is getting significantly more money through crowd funding than he ever got from working here.
Original Patreon page: https://archive.today/ROEBj
"Milestone goal: $6,000 per month"

Revised Patreon page: https://www.patreon.com/jimquisition
"Edit: I have removed the milestone, because while it was consistent with the money I was making previously, it was making people scratch heads"

3015 patrons
$10,059.72 per month

If $6k per month was "consistent with the money he was making previously", then $10k per month is a significant pay rise.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
IceForce said:
Like rats from a sinking ship.

R.I.P Escapist, I knew you well.

How long before Yahtzee follows Jim's lead, I wonder? Because Jim is getting significantly more money through crowd funding than he ever got from working here.
Original Patreon page: https://archive.today/ROEBj
"Milestone goal: $6,000 per month"

Revised Patreon page: https://www.patreon.com/jimquisition
"Edit: I have removed the milestone, because while it was consistent with the money I was making previously, it was making people scratch heads"

3015 patrons
$10,059.72 per month

If $6k per month was "consistent with the money he was making previously", then $10k per month is a significant pay rise.
Keep in mind those numbers are not 100% accurate. Kind of like Kickstarter, a lot of those payments won't end up going through. I am sure it's not off by a significant amount, but I honestly doubt he was making 6k a month working for the Escapist.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Fappy said:
Keep in mind those numbers are not 100% accurate. Kind of like Kickstarter, a lot of those payments won't end up going through. I am sure it's not off by a significant amount, but I honestly doubt he was making 6k a month working for the Escapist.
In addition, Patreon takes 5% of all money earned and then you also have to pay a (relatively small) amount in order to actually get whatever money is left.

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
Interesting, a site shakeup. Hmm, wonder what direction they have in mind with so many positions opening up.

Not sure the "rats" comment is very nice towards them though, or entirely accurate. On one hand, it suggests they are fleeing like, well, rats. Not very kind description of them. On the other, it suggests they had the choice, which I am not sure of if it was voluntary. I guess we will see what happens when they release more info.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Fappy said:
Zhukov said:

Anyone know of a good geeky forum? Plenty of members, decent moderation, minimum of bitter conspiracy theorists?

I'm in panic mode!
Okay guys, we need to organise a rendezvous point if everything here goes tits up. XD

Also, with the way this site has been going, I hope these people chose to leave rather than getting pushed out.

ceyan

Oct 13, 2014
Marter said:
Fappy said:
In addition, Patreon takes 5% of all money earned and then you also have to pay a (relatively small) amount in order to actually get whatever money is left.
Plus he most likely has more expenses now than when he could depend on some support and integration under the Escapist company.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I'm really bummed about all this.

I'm kinda panicking here since I've met some really awesome people here and I don't know what to do if this place was just gone.

I have no idea what the hell is going on around here, but I don't like it. D:
Colour Scientist said:
Okay guys, we need to organise a rendezvous point if everything here goes tits up. XD
Damn right we do!

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Colour Scientist said:
Fappy said:
Zhukov said:

I'm in panic mode!

Also, with the way this site has been going, I hope these people chose to leave rather than getting pushed out.
Gamefaqs? I kid i kid.

Edit Rossa leaving doesn't worry me much since he hadn't been posting many new stories lately anyway. Tito leaving is a blessing since after Susan left and he came in the site to a drop in quality in my opinion.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Darks63 said:
Edit Rossa leaving doesn't worry me much since he hadn't been posting many new stories lately anyway. Tito leaving is a blessing since after Susan left and he came in the site to a drop in quality in my opinion.
I have things against Susan, so respectfully I cannot agree.

OT: And now, with all the staff departing, I can seize control!

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
Didn't Tito become Editor in Chief not too long ago?
This has me rather worried.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
FalloutJack said:
Darks63 said:
I have things against Susan, so respectfully I cannot agree.

OT: And now, with all the staff departing, I can seize control!

It seems like more bad has happened under Him then Under Susan I know it can be unfair to blame those in charge.

Carly Smith Aka roseofpostingstoriesthatcauseflamewars is leaving? Grumpy cat gives a emphatic GOOD!

Thorn14

Jun 29, 2013
https://twitter.com/Gregtito/status/557595806329749505

Sounds like a mass firing.