Escapist Expo: Fanboyism

el_kabong

Shark Rodeo Champion
Mar 18, 2010
The reaction Jim has when fanboyism is compared to pedophilia subculture is priceless.

Saarai-fan

Nov 12, 2009
I have to admit, when I came to this panel and Sonic came up, it kind of hurt me since I consider myself a bit of a Sonic the Hedgehog fan. I'm to Sonic what MovieBob is to Mario I'd like to think. Have a lot of Sonic merchandise, games, comics, and enjoy watching the cartoons. I remember MovieBob once saying the games started getting bad in his GameOverthinker videos starting with Sonic Adventure 2 due to Shadow, but I politely disagree. Despite my love for Sonic, I will humbly say that after Adventure 2, the games did go downhill, with Sonic 2006 being the absolute worst and piece of crap. But I'm glad that since Sonic Colours, that the games are starting to improve.

The Human Torch

Sep 12, 2010
Saarai-fan said:
I have to admit, when I came to this panel and Sonic came up, it kind of hurt me since I consider myself a bit of a Sonic the Hedgehog fan. I'm to Sonic what MovieBob is to Mario I'd like to think. Have a lot of Sonic merchandise, games, comics, and enjoy watching the cartoons. I remember MovieBob once saying the games started getting bad in his GameOverthinker videos starting with Sonic Adventure 2 due to Shadow, but I politely disagree. Despite my love for Sonic, I will humbly say that after Adventure 2, the games did go downhill, with Sonic 2006 being the absolute worst and piece of crap. But I'm glad that since Sonic Colours, that the games are starting to improve.
They were referring to Sonic fanboys, the overzealous, foaming at the mouth, rabid fans who will defend the franchise until their dying day, no matter how bad the games have become.

You are clearly not a fanboy, you are just a fan, because you are able to make clear distinctions between the quality of games and decide for yourself which ones you like and which ones you don't.

Personally, I am a gigantic Transformers fan, the first cartoon series (flawed as it is), has a very special place on my DVD-shelf, I have hundreds of the original toys and naturally I bought the PS2 game Transformers: Energon and both of the recent Transformers games from Highmoon Studios.
That being said, I HATE the Micheal Bay movies. No amount of unconditional love for Transformers can convince me otherwise and I am not defending the movies whatsoever. They are terrible, atrocious, horrendous and a big middle finger to all the fans of the original series. That's the diference between a fan and a fanboy.

You don't need to feel hurt, because they were not referring to you personally. Just the fanboys who were (this actually happened) cry about the longer legs and the different eye color.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
I'm not getting sleep tonight, I've got one more thing from the Expo to go through...

Anyway, I guess I agree with Paul's definition of a self-proclaimed Fanboy. I identify myself as a Freelancer Fanboy (its own my profile here) and I love the game dearly. I guess nostalgia makes it easy for me to ignore the older graphics of the characters and I do still want a sequel or another version. I do not get angry over it however so I guess I don't cross that line.

CFL and NHL teams in Canada... There are some very angry Fanboys there. Especially since the lockout.

I'm so glad these Expo events were filmed! :D

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
Nooo, I've finished all the panels, now something is missing in my life. :(

At least we can have Yahtzee back..

eBusiness

Sep 19, 2012
Programme:

1. Talk about how bad fanboyism is.
2. Put non-augmenting scribbles on whatever junk escapist fanboys happen to bring to you.

Neko Pounce

WARGARBLE
Nov 15, 2010
I personally really enjoyed that, Every expo video. It looks really enjoyable!

Seems the woman just wanted to make her point about what SHE thinks about stuff since she had a microphone. Let's insult MLP and other things you know people will disagree with. THATS JIMS JOB.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I will watch this video tomorrow and I am sure it will be hilarious.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Neko Pounce said:
I personally really enjoyed that, Every expo video. It looks really enjoyable!

Seems the woman just wanted to make her point about what SHE thinks about stuff since she had a microphone. Let's insult MLP and other things you know people will disagree with. THATS JIMS JOB.
It's called moderating the panel, giving them new ideas and concepts to discuss.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
I'd like to say that without Susan moderating I'd have been twice as nervous as I was -- and I was already pretty nervous. She's a fantastic panel mod and knowing she was there for each one let me know each one would turn out great.

So yeah, here's me sticking up for her!

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
okay, I just watched it. Was MLP banned on 4Chan or was it something else?

Varya

Elvish Ambassador
Nov 23, 2009
Right, so I have to bring up something Susan said. During the discussion on companies putting out crap because the fanboys will buy wathever they sell, Susan defended it by saying it's just good buisness. I have to bring this up because It's not the first time Susan has said things to similar effect in the podcast, and it always rubs me the wrong way, but ths time, the discussion itself gave me the tools to argue.
First of all, I'm not trying to attack Susan, she's my favorite of the "core staff" (i.e. non video-contributors) and such a great role model. All the love to you<3, I just take issue with this one thing.
Ok, so to the argument, Bob made a valid, though extreeme comparrison, but the point I think he was trying to make, but definately the one I'm trying to make is "good buissness decision doesn't mean morally OK".
Example, the panel compared fanboys to people in love, and since they often love coroporations, love to someone who don't love you back. So if we scale it back, and we have a boy in love with a girl who don't love him back. He will gladly buy her stuff, do things for her even though she has no apparent interest in him. The girl can use this love to get him to buy things. He will not be dissapointed if he does this, even if he gets no love in return for his gifts, as the good doctor said in the panel, the act of loving someone can be a reward in itself, but he is not rich and spends his pocket money on this girl.
Is not a sound economical decicion for the girl to let the boy do so? Yet at least I find the act morally reprehensive. How is this different from if a company exploits it's fan base? Because it's a company's job? Does that make expoitation OK?
Now, I of course think that a company must focus on making money, but laws can never make all immoral acts illegal, that doesn't mean they are OK. We can't ban on-disc DLC but we can call them out for it. And I don't think it's ok to say that "in the end, the bad buisness models will hurt themself in the end" because they might not, they might be making money on online passes forever but that doesn't make it ok in my mind for a company to do so, because they are screwing their costumers over, and even if it's both legal and profitable it's still a shitty thing.
Ok, I'm all ranted out. Appologies if there's a lot of errors, I'm on my iPad so it gets a bit clusterf**ky.

Oh, and great video, really wish I could have been there.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
me3 ending was such a mess and changed so easily because it was an ending by committee, that and the o.g. ending dark energy destroying the universe etc was shot to hell and back by anyone reading the codex entries in the first 2 games.

also think bioware is a great case study for fanboyism, since they use extensive data mining to make changes and usually go to such an extreme with it that it tends to piss off the more "hardcore" elements of that base.

me3 90% of a great game ruined by the last 20 minutes.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
On behalf of everyone who really wanted to go to the Expo but for whatever reason couldn't, I would just like to thank whoever had the brilliant idea to put these panels up on the site to watch. It really is fun to watch these guys discuss things off-script, and it's been very insightful.

That said, why is Jim always in the middle? He looks like a fat Jesus at the Last Supper. :p

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
Gah, these panels are really interesting.
I so wish there were viable means for me to attend these.

I could spout endless lines about the subject matter which weren't really addressed, but (to everyone's joy) I will refrain.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
At my first panel video it was "OMG 46 MINUTES???!!!!" o_O
Now I am at my 5th video and laughing my ass off...