Escapist Expo: Fanboyism

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
One thing I am surprised that wasn't really mentioned was the opposite of a fanboy, the people that hang around and do nothing but completely bash a franchise/company.

I understand why Mass Effect 3 was brought up, but at the same time I am unsure about the opinions from the panel, I get the feeling that they never played either of the endings and are basing their opinions on information they never experienced themselves. The way I have always looked at the Extended Cut of Mass Effect 3 is that it is no different then any movie that has a DVD/BluRay release (or even theatrical re-release) with new content that was never shown before.

Ushiromiya Battler

Oddly satisfied
Feb 7, 2010
Currently watching and to be honest all I could think of was that I'd love to give Jim Sterling a big cozy hug...
He looks so warming and soothing...

Damn, well apart from that I mostly look at Yathzee with lust, doesn't really help either when I think of it...

Well, anyways, love the videos and I'm incredibly happy they've put the panels up on the site, I've laughed my ass of through every video

*clap clap*

*Captcha*Edgar Degas
Who the hell is Edgar Degas?

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
Agreed, sometimes the fanboys of things you like are the worst. "It's not the band I hate, it's their fans. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj6d-CQNJ-c]

RJ 17 said:
That said, why is Jim always in the middle? He looks like a fat Jesus at the Last Supper. :p
Thank God for Jim, who removed his pants for our sins.

Magefeanor said:
*Captcha*Edgar Degas
Who the hell is Edgar Degas?
Wow, these Captcha are getting really highbrow.

Toasty Virus

Somehow I Returned?
Dec 2, 2009
The sound faults in this made my little Sound Engineer soul hurt.

OT: I really like Jim's live presence, he seems to rule all the panels he appeared in.

Neko Pounce

WARGARBLE
Nov 15, 2010
Susan Arendt said:
Neko Pounce said:
I personally really enjoyed that, Every expo video. It looks really enjoyable!

Seems the woman just wanted to make her point about what SHE thinks about stuff since she had a microphone. Let's insult MLP and other things you know people will disagree with. THATS JIMS JOB.
It's called moderating the panel, giving them new ideas and concepts to discuss.
I do enjoy how you decided to reply to that.

Also, The only reason I called you "the woman" btw is because I'm dyslexic and at the time if I had tried to type Susan i would have made myself look really stupid.

Also, that was a joke, That's why I said "Jims job!"... Jim doesn't have a job! HE YELLS AT THINGS AND MAKES PEOPLE HAPPY. JOB DONE.

I never actually aimed to "Offend" you or say you where doing anything wrong. Sept picking on MLP. That, was a little wrong :C

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Falseprophet said:
Agreed, sometimes the fanboys of things you like are the worst. "It's not the band I hate, it's their fans. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj6d-CQNJ-c]

RJ 17 said:
That said, why is Jim always in the middle? He looks like a fat Jesus at the Last Supper. :p
Thank God for Jim, who removed his pants for our sins.
Seriously...every time I see Jim all I can see is him on that exercise bike in his underwear...that image is permanently burned into my mind.

But indeed, "Thank God for Jim."

Lazy

Aug 12, 2012
Poisoned Al said:
Sound checking. LOOK IT UP!
YES PLEASE! There are kids around, so I had to keep my cursor on the volume meter the whole time.

Knusper

Sep 10, 2010
Jim's laugh when he hears of secret groups of paedophiles is the best thing ever XD

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
Didn't like this episode. Felt a bit too arrogant and condescending, like five guys discussing how much everyone else sucks, and how rational and balanced they are in comparison.

I would agree with Bob's first comment the most, that it is mostly just a subjective insult, with fans calling each other fanboys.

Also, the "MLP fandom is ironic" misconception was already outdated a year ago. You don't fly across the country to be at a fan convention ironically. You don't write a 600.000 word fanfic novel and publish it in 5 hardcover volumes ironically. You don't spend months producing whole professional quality animated fan-episodes with a team ironically.

Marik Bentusi

Aug 20, 2010
They were surprisingly clear-cut on the whole ME3 thing. Never liked the series myself, but even just from my "peripheral internet vision", the shitstorm appeared to have been caused by a lot of different reasons, all of which you could deem (un)justified to different degrees.

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
RJ 17 said:
On behalf of everyone who really wanted to go to the Expo but for whatever reason couldn't, I would just like to thank whoever had the brilliant idea to put these panels up on the site to watch. It really is fun to watch these guys discuss things off-script, and it's been very insightful.

Indeed, I've just slept too late two nights in a row because of the Expo videos. They're really fun.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
As a MLP fan I will admit (with gusto) that nearer the beginning of the series and our little ride on the clip-clop express it was a bit much, especially towards outsiders. Everything was ponies and im no better as its all I drew for a good few months.

HOWEVER I don't think bronies were completly to blame here, hell the first time I ever got trolled on the internet was due to the fact that I enjoyed the show, it really made me mad and fueled, what turn't out to be a good thing, the set up of pony exclusive sites such as Equestria Daily by others who just wanted out of the argument or at least a place to counter it.

I got over it and as it seems most others did to, now things have calmed down theres alot less hate on boths sides, most places such as 4-Chan (at least from what ive seen) just generally accept that some people are fans some arn't. Sure every now and then you get someone who gets to over the top and spouts hate at the other side but its no where near the level it used to be.

I don't spend all day on 4-chan and other such sites so apologies if im just missing the ***** fits between the fanboys and haters.

Anyway, im loving these Expo vids, im such a sheep that when someone I respect (like the guys and gal, in the case of Mrs.Arnt) starts speaking their oppinion that I just sit there happily doodling away. Its relaxing you know?

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Mr.Tea said:
Susan Arendt said:
Neko Pounce said:
I personally really enjoyed that, Every expo video. It looks really enjoyable!

Seems the woman just wanted to make her point about what SHE thinks about stuff since she had a microphone. Let's insult MLP and other things you know people will disagree with. THATS JIMS JOB.
It's called moderating the panel, giving them new ideas and concepts to discuss.
I sincerely don't mean this as an insult, but if I may just say something that's been nagging me throughout those panel videos: You add such weird inflexions to your speech... You're the G-Man of internet video content!
I do? Like what? Might be my accent, I'm really not sure.

Poisoned Al said:
Sound checking. LOOK IT UP!
I understand your frustration, but there's no reason to be rude.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Varya said:
Right, so I have to bring up something Susan said. During the discussion on companies putting out crap because the fanboys will buy wathever they sell, Susan defended it by saying it's just good buisness. I have to bring this up because It's not the first time Susan has said things to similar effect in the podcast, and it always rubs me the wrong way, but ths time, the discussion itself gave me the tools to argue.
First of all, I'm not trying to attack Susan, she's my favorite of the "core staff" (i.e. non video-contributors) and such a great role model. All the love to you<3, I just take issue with this one thing.
Ok, so to the argument, Bob made a valid, though extreeme comparrison, but the point I think he was trying to make, but definately the one I'm trying to make is "good buissness decision doesn't mean morally OK".
Example, the panel compared fanboys to people in love, and since they often love coroporations, love to someone who don't love you back. So if we scale it back, and we have a boy in love with a girl who don't love him back. He will gladly buy her stuff, do things for her even though she has no apparent interest in him. The girl can use this love to get him to buy things. He will not be dissapointed if he does this, even if he gets no love in return for his gifts, as the good doctor said in the panel, the act of loving someone can be a reward in itself, but he is not rich and spends his pocket money on this girl.
Is not a sound economical decicion for the girl to let the boy do so? Yet at least I find the act morally reprehensive. How is this different from if a company exploits it's fan base? Because it's a company's job? Does that make expoitation OK?
Now, I of course think that a company must focus on making money, but laws can never make all immoral acts illegal, that doesn't mean they are OK. We can't ban on-disc DLC but we can call them out for it. And I don't think it's ok to say that "in the end, the bad buisness models will hurt themself in the end" because they might not, they might be making money on online passes forever but that doesn't make it ok in my mind for a company to do so, because they are screwing their costumers over, and even if it's both legal and profitable it's still a shitty thing.
Ok, I'm all ranted out. Appologies if there's a lot of errors, I'm on my iPad so it gets a bit clusterf**ky.

Oh, and great video, really wish I could have been there.
Did I say anything about morals? I was bringing up a counterargument that was a valid point for discussion. It's very easy to only present one point of view when among like-minded folks; surely it's our responsibility to consider as many sides to a discussion as possible.

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
I'm 19 minutes in. I love these videos. Problem is the audio. Never seems properly equalized, sadly.

Varya

Elvish Ambassador
Nov 23, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Did I say anything about morals? I was bringing up a counterargument that was a valid point for discussion. It's very easy to only present one point of view when among like-minded folks; surely it's our responsibility to consider as many sides to a discussion as possible.
Ok, I guess that's fair. I'm trying to think of what else to say, but on the whole that sums it up. Thank you fotr the explanation, keep being awesome!

Mahoshonen

Jul 28, 2008
Great panel.

I think the term the Dr. was looking for when trying to describe the thought: "I've invested X amount of time in a series, therefore I need to stick with it even if it's no longer worth it" is 'Sunk Cost Fallacy'. The logical response to this reasoning is that time (or money or affection) that has been invested in the past can never be recovered, and therefore should not have any bearing on future decisions.