Escapist Expo: Fanboyism

Team Hollywood

Feb 9, 2009
Well, I was looking forward to see this, being some sort of splicing experiment of a hardcore fan and a fanboy, I was expecting lot of different arguments about it.

Personally, not that anyone asked, I consider myself a SEGA fanboy, with no pride, nor shame, that's just what I am, I loved to play SEGA games back then from the Mega Drive era, even though I had a Famicom and got later a Super Famicom, I still loved Mega Drive the most.

I moved to the Playstation later, but I still got my hands on a Japanese White SEGA Saturn in the year 2000, when the console was pretty much dead, and I got my first DreamCast in the year 2005, when it was also dead, and enjoyed the crap of it, even though I had a Playstation, I loved the Saturn niche games I had, and I loved the plug and play games on the DC, while I used the PS mostly to play longer games, and my preferences still were on SEGA, while admitting at the time that both consoles failed for a reason, and most games I had weren't precisely flawless.

When they quit the console wars and started to make games for the GBA, or was it GBC, I don't remember, I was pissed off first, but when I got my hand in Sonic Advance the first thought that crossed my mind was "this is it, you were made for this."

Nowadays, I still love SEGA above all else, I know their games are FGB (Fairly Good, But...) and I take a personal pride when one of them shines, when I see people talking about it, it's like knowing that your friend could pass an university exam; that's how I feel when I see SEGA doing good, and when they don't, I don't force myself to like it, but I admit I try to find something good enough that makes me think it wasn't in vain.

I loved Alpha Protocol, with flows and anything, it was FGB, Bayonetta was the first in some time that was FG without a B, I love the Yakuza Series, and sometimes I go back to Kamurocho just to stomp in some face then I got back to my routine, sometimes without making a quest or anything, just face stomping.

So there I'm a fanboy, however you look at it, I don't feel like hating someone who doesn't like SEGA, or someone who criticizes it. But I am all up for their games, always following them up close, the only reason I don't have my DreamCast plugged is because my TV is for lack of space.

Back on track, I also look forward to new Silent Hill approaches, I always hated to know that there was a GBA japanese novel-like title that never made it through this side of the globe, and I'm sure any fan at the time was thinking the same, I don't get the hate nowadays for anything that doesn't have big breasted nurses, or AAA emulation of previous titles.

Same happened to DMC, so much hate, and while I confess not liking the very first trailer of it, I started to like it afterwards, gameplay seems great, and when the character took some personality, it was good, I don't care if it doesn't look like grey haired Ken (from Barbie) anymore.

But I came to realize that it doesn't matter if you're Mother Teresa, you'll end up pissing someone off on the internet someday, no exceptions.

Saarai-fan

Nov 12, 2009
The Human Torch said:
They were referring to Sonic fanboys, the overzealous, foaming at the mouth, rabid fans who will defend the franchise until their dying day, no matter how bad the games have become.

You are clearly not a fanboy, you are just a fan, because you are able to make clear distinctions between the quality of games and decide for yourself which ones you like and which ones you don't.

Personally, I am a gigantic Transformers fan, the first cartoon series (flawed as it is), has a very special place on my DVD-shelf, I have hundreds of the original toys and naturally I bought the PS2 game Transformers: Energon and both of the recent Transformers games from Highmoon Studios.
That being said, I HATE the Micheal Bay movies. No amount of unconditional love for Transformers can convince me otherwise and I am not defending the movies whatsoever. They are terrible, atrocious, horrendous and a big middle finger to all the fans of the original series. That's the diference between a fan and a fanboy.

You don't need to feel hurt, because they were not referring to you personally. Just the fanboys who were (this actually happened) cry about the longer legs and the different eye color.
I pretty much consider fans and fanboys/fangirls one in the same meaning, or at least close to. The radical ones I would call fanatics. People who do treat the things they love like a religion.

Besides Sonic, I'm also a gigantic Star Wars fan. Own over 30 novels at home which have stories during various time periods of the Star Wars expanded universe, played a few of the games, watch a lot of the cartoon shows, spend many hours on Wookieepedia researching things on it, and have participated in 4 post-it fandom written Star Wars websites with various characters I've created to play as. Granted I consider myself a Sonic fan, but now a days I consider myself a bigger Star Wars fan.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
I think that the guy yelling "THAT'S SUBJECTIVE OPINION! THAT WAS SUBJECTIVE OPINION!" proved the point about MLP having the worst fandom.

Ishiro32

Mar 28, 2011
Chairman Miaow said:
I think that the guy yelling "THAT'S SUBJECTIVE OPINION! THAT WAS SUBJECTIVE OPINION!" proved the point about MLP having the worst fandom.
I think it was supposed to be a joke? But it sounded terrible, I cringed when I heard that and I like mlp. Thank Jim they were classy enough to ignore that shout.
I don't think mlp has a worst fanbase. I can agree on the worst and most autistic fanboys, but fandom? No, there is just too much good content produced by it.
This is the principle they were talking about, you have fans that are passionate and do something good with their passion, like for example fighting game or good long animation with few VA that really try to do their best. And then you have people who turn their passion into some kind of weapon and try to go on a crusade.

Fanboys happen.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
Ishiro32 said:
Chairman Miaow said:
I think it was supposed to be a joke? But it sounded terrible, I cringed when I heard that and I like mlp. Thank Jim they were classy enough to ignore that shout.
I don't think mlp has a worst fanbase. I can agree on the worst and most autistic fanboys, but fandom? No, there is just too much good content produced by it.
This is the principle they were talking about, you have fans that are passionate and do something good with their passion, like for example fighting game or good long animation with few VA that really try to do their best. And then you have people who turn their passion into some kind of weapon and try to go on a crusade.

Fanboys happen.
I didn't mean that in general they had the worst collective fandom, that probably would go to sonic, but that the worst of the worst has come from that general direction. Some great people are involved with it, but it also seems to pull the nutjobs more than any other.

P.S. Don't use the word autistic as a bad thing. It's really offensive.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
Entitled said:
Didn't like this episode. Felt a bit too arrogant and condescending, like five guys discussing how much everyone else sucks, and how rational and balanced they are in comparison.

I would agree with Bob's first comment the most, that it is mostly just a subjective insult, with fans calling each other fanboys.

Also, the "MLP fandom is ironic" misconception was already outdated a year ago. You don't fly across the country to be at a fan convention ironically. You don't write a 600.000 word fanfic novel and publish it in 5 hardcover volumes ironically. You don't spend months producing whole professional quality animated fan-episodes with a team ironically.
Some people do it for the irony. Nobody ever said that they all did.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
The7Sins said:
On the off chance Jim reads this I have to ask. Why did you choose to live in Mississippi of all states? Seems like you'd be more @ home in any other state (well except maybe Alaska).
Family reasons. In that I have one here now.

Ishiro32

Mar 28, 2011
Chairman Miaow said:
I didn't mean that in general they had the worst collective fandom, that probably would go to sonic, but that the worst of the worst has come from that general direction. Some great people are involved with it, but it also seems to pull the nutjobs more than any other.

Then I agree with you.

And about word autistic. I used it here because in that contex it doesn't convey it's actual meaning, it's just a buzz world here. You may find it offensive, but so is word idiot etc. Here we all know that what i meant was that those people delve into their fan-created world so much that their real life suffers because of it.
Also i met people with advanced autism and this disease is actually a bad thing.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
Ishiro32 said:
Chairman Miaow said:

Then I agree with you.

And about word autistic. I used it here because in that contex it doesn't convey it's actual meaning, it's just a buzz world here. You may find it offensive, but so is word idiot etc. Here we all know that what i meant was that those people delve into their fan-created world so much that their real life suffers because of it.
Also i met people with advanced autism and it's actually a bad thing.
I have been diagnosed with higher functioning autism, so it's a lot different to just calling somebody an idiot.

Ishiro32

Mar 28, 2011
Chairman Miaow said:
I have been diagnosed with higher functioning autism, so it's a lot different to just calling somebody an idiot.
Ok, a lot of people have this disorder. I understand that. It may not be polite to use that word lightly. But understand that when i use that word in this contex i don't even think about real autism. I think about mechanism that is very common in kids autism where kid delves into fantasy world and hides himself in it. There is nothing offensive about that, it's just a mechanism. And this word helps me to present it very fast.
I wasn't polite i get that, but i wasn't rude.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Scrumpmonkey said:
Susan Arendt said:
Mr.Tea said:
... You're the G-Man of internet video content!
I do? Like what? Might be my accent, I'm really not sure.
On a random tangent if it turned out you were behind the half-life universe the entire i would love that XD
I can neither confirm nor deny that I am behind the Half-Life Universe.

Nothing to see here. Move along, citizen.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Scrumpmonkey said:
Susan Arendt said:
Mr.Tea said:
... You're the G-Man of internet video content!
I do? Like what? Might be my accent, I'm really not sure.
On a random tangent if it turned out you were behind the half-life universe the entire i would love that XD
I can neither confirm nor deny that I am behind the Half-Life Universe.

Nothing to see here. Move along, citizen.
When is Half Life 3 coming out?

*cue evil laughter*

Diana Kingston-Gabai

Aug 3, 2010
WaitWHAT said:
Yeah! How dare that guy disagree with her. What a prick. What a massive prick. He deserves to die.

Do you see a little irony here?
Nope. Irony would have required that the same forceful and vitriolic tone he used (where I literally reeled back when the guy started screaming) were to be applied to him. That didn't happen.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
I love how during the presentation, the "introduce yourself and tell us what you do failed miserably. That MovieBob is truly the attention whore. (jk)