Escapist Expo: How to Create an Online Cult, Er, Following

GladiatorUA

Jun 1, 2013
The Plunk said:
Edit: Although I don't like Smosh, it was interesting to hear the point of view of someone whose videos are almost the polar opposite of TotalBiscuit's.
They kinda have different target audiences which respond differently. Smosh's primary audience are 14-17 y.o. males. TB's 25-35 y.o. males.

HanFyren

Dec 19, 2011
Just to prepare myself mentally.
Was there a sound issue with this panel, some of the panels or all the panels?

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
SO watched it now, interesting to see different perspectives coming from different backgrounds, this really put some food for thought up. What i got from it though is that sound quality is king, so i guess time to start using something better than 5 dollar microphone :p

GladiatorUA said:
The Plunk said:
Edit: Although I don't like Smosh, it was interesting to hear the point of view of someone whose videos are almost the polar opposite of TotalBiscuit's.
They kinda have different target audiences which respond differently. Smosh's primary audience are 14-17 y.o. males. TB's 25-35 y.o. males.
that is very well spotted i guess. when i was 14 i liked smosh videos, now i like TBs videos and hate smosh, yeah im a stereotype i know :p

hickwarrior

a samurai... devil summoner?
Nov 7, 2007
GladiatorUA said:
The Plunk said:
Err, males only? I don't think TB cares as long as you view his vid(s). Not sure about smosh though, never saw that. But why only say they are targeting males specifically?

OT: ust like the livestream, the audio is still very echo-y, making it hard to hear what they are saying. At least it's a learning experience.

Still, quite an interesting panel here. Looking forward to the next batch of panels next year as well.

herenowit

Feb 1, 2011
Greg Tito said:
jackdeesface said:
Greg Tito said:
Unfortunately, due to some technical problems with the audio, we only have the source from one directional mic in the balcony. We decided to upload the panel video, rather than keep the content from you guys, but we're investigating ways to improve the audio quality now.

Greg
And it's appreciated :). Though slightly ironic seeing how much of the panel was people discussing the importance of good sound quality ;)
Yeah, the irony is KILLING ME. Thanks though. I wish the audio was of a better quality but there's very little we can do after the fact.

Greg
Adobe Audition. Effects> Noise Reduction, Effects> Special > Mastering. Hard to reduce the echo, but you can make the audio present much crisper and boost the presence of the voices. Screw it, I'm going to download the stream and do it myself xD

I'll just put up the audio on Soundcloud when done. Easy enough to rejoin it to the video.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Like others I've got no love whatsoever for Smosh but it was an interesting panel and good for Jovenshire's and Total Biscuit's views. The others too, of course, but I saw stuff from them last year so I was more focused on the guests.

herenowit

Feb 1, 2011
https://soundcloud.com/herenow-productions/escapist-expo-2013-how-to

Did what I could to improve audio. Namely removed as much background as I could, applied a hard limiter to reduce loudness of applause relative to speech, and did what I could to boost vocals. Like they said, there isn't MUCH you can do after the fact (especially with so much echo, and audience closer to mic relative to talent). It is a better listen to me at least, can't speak for everyone. Time to listen to it on the way to work! xD

GladiatorUA

Jun 1, 2013
hickwarrior said:
Err, males only? I don't think TB cares as long as you view his vid(s). Not sure about smosh though, never saw that. But why only say they are targeting males specifically?
I'm not talking about them targeting males. Couple of month ago TB opened up his viewer stats and the main two were males 25-35, males 18-24 and I don't remember... either 14-17 or 36-45.
And about smosh's stats, TB specifically asked him what was his audience. He said that they had great following of 14-17 y.o.

zvate

Aug 12, 2010
I found it really interesting and I enjoyed it but when Greg talked about how he saw his role as that of a stage manager it got me thinking. This expo seemed to lack some of the vitality of last years and when I compare his role with the one done by Susan last year it just does not measure up. He's on stage and the personality, vitality and dynamism provided give the whole event context. you can't take back seat when you're being the MC and last year Susan never once faded into the background and it gave the entire event its fun and personality while truly letting the contributors shine.

I wasn't there and maybe he pulled all the stops out off camera but I wish there was more of a unique character endowed upon the proceedings. It was still good but not nearly so memorable...

Sakurazaki1023

Feb 15, 2010
herenowit said:
https://soundcloud.com/herenow-productions/escapist-expo-2013-how-to

Did what I could to improve audio. Namely removed as much background as I could, applied a hard limiter to reduce loudness of applause relative to speech, and did what I could to boost vocals. Like they said, there isn't MUCH you can do after the fact (especially with so much echo, and audience closer to mic relative to talent). It is a better listen to me at least, can't speak for everyone. Time to listen to it on the way to work! xD
Holy shit, this is a major improvement. The echo is still pretty bad, but fixing that sort of thing is a lost cause.

Maybe The Escapist should hire you to handle audio next time...

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
To tell the truth, the reason I'm here on the site at the moment is because TotalBiscuit was at the Expo, so I knew he would be in some of the panel videos.

I actually haven't been on The Escapist on a regular everyday basis in I believe two or three months. This week I came back when TB said he would be at the Expo so I checked in regularly to see those videos.

Last year, summer of 2012 I was introduced to some of the really good and professional YouTube personalities, and from that point on I more and more started using YouTube as my main source of entertainment.

So I guess that relates on how YouTube has grown enough in presence and "weight" in gaming industry and the entertainment industry in general, because before that summer, if somebody had told me that I would be going to YouTube everyday and regularly watching over a dozen different video makers for more than an hour a day and occasionally buying t-shirts that they have commissioned to sell to fans, I would have told you that you were crazy because nothing of real worth is produced on YouTube other than cute cat and animal videos and other mindless entertainment.

I might come back now and again for some forum talk, cause obviously YouTube, while good and great stuff is produced there now, the quality of conversations is lacking, and it is hard to track comments in the first place.