Escapist Expo: How To Review Games

Glen Morangie

Sep 3, 2008
One of the questions that plagues me generally and I found it came up both with regard to score and in the case of Spec Ops; how do you handle games that actually make you feel bad to be performing the actions dictated by the game? I found that about half way through Shadow of the Colossus I just put down the controller and walked away. Not because the game was bad, but rather because I couldn't justify continuing. I felt that as the protagonist, I could no longer deny that I was becoming a bad guy. The game itself is still beautiful, and I loved much of the design and scope.

Artistically, Shadow is in fact a doubly powerful success success. It connected with me emotionally, it caused reactions, and it presented a stunningly impressive world scope. On the other hand, how does one convey the active aversion that it also creates, and does that change any score you would give the game?

The other side of the coin is do you think you could put a number on how well the AI behaves? It seems like this might actually be possible to come up with a metric "Number of times the AI hugged an enemy (or failed to break a stunlock)" or something.