Escapist Expo: Songwriting with Miracle of Sound

Team Hollywood

Feb 9, 2009
Songwriting with Miracle of Sound

Writing a hit song is a real science, especially when each piece is an homage to a favorite game or movie. Gavin has spent years writing songs under the moniker Miracle of Sound and he will pass on his extensive knowledge along in this panel. Maybe he?ll even break out his guitar and sing a few of his favorites. He takes requests!

Watch Video

Frontastic

Aug 3, 2010
I had no idea until this expo that Gav was Irish. You sir, do us proud. Don't ever change.

And of the many panel vids I've blitzed today, this was easily one of my favourites. I think both parties being hungover helped, it made the whole affair more relaxed... and gave an air of an almost bitter apathy. It was a thing of beauty.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Frontastic said:
I had no idea until this expo that Gav was Irish. You sir, do us proud. Don't ever change.

And of the many panel vids I've blitzed today, this was easily one of my favourites. I think both parties being hungover helped, it made the whole affair more relaxed... and gave an air of an almost bitter apathy. It was a thing of beauty.
For the record, I was not hungover. Exhausted, yes, but not hungover. ;)

Frontastic

Aug 3, 2010
Susan Arendt said:
Frontastic said:

For the record, I was not hungover. Exhausted, yes, but not hungover. ;)
Duly noted. I apologise. :)

And your selfless sacrifice of rest, and likely a certain degree of sanity, for the good of what was an amazing looking convention is most highly appreciated! Especially for all of us who couldn't make it but will definitely be trying extra hard to go next year.
Until then, these videos = joy.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
For those wondering about the Four Chords video that was mentioned I believe this is it.

Anyway, another very interesting panel. And I have no idea why I love the Commander Shepard song either, but I do.

And I was one of those that loved DNA, big NIN fan so it appealed to me.

Keep up the good work, Gav!

IMAGinES

Jun 1, 2009
That twelve notes topic brought a recent brouhaha in Australia to mind. You know that classic Men At Work song, "Down Under"? Well, the writers were successfully sued a couple of years ago because the flute melody in that sounds almost exactly like "Kookaburra Sits In The Old Gum Tree".

The annoying thing is, it does. Yet I agree with the band's assertion that it wasn't an intentional rip-off; that was just a tune that they came up with that fit that bit of the song.

Jakale

Feb 16, 2010
Your name story has me intrigued, now. Is the song Miracle of Sound floating around anywhere for curious people like me to find?

2clueless

Clueless since 2003
Apr 11, 2012
I thoroughly enjoy instrumental songs for travel and work. Ambient music. Something energizing and upbeat that gets me through the day. If this makes any sense, the music I hear engages one part of brain, and allows the rest of my gray matter to focus on the task at hand with even more precision and skill, whether it is simply remembering and buying groceries or being productive at work.

While karaoke is a novel idea for a track of that type, I'd have it on repeat for most of the day just going around my daily business. Because it is awesome. And it makes the world less boring.

shiajun

Jun 12, 2008
One of my favorite songs still remains Little Sister, mainly due to the ambience and the muffled, thudding, almost hypnotic rhythm and melody in the back. It feels so dreamy and ethereal,and I wish Gavin would again do something along those lines. I felt awed from the start, unlike some other songs that I adore but only grew on me after a few listenings. C'mon Gav, pretty please?

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Loved this. Especially enjoyed the story of Mr. Dunne waiting for the bathroom in a New York pub.

And just a theory (kind of) of why New Yorkers love the accent:
1.) We have a Saint Patrick's Day parade that's older than the country is, and a lot of our fire department and police department are Irish.
2.) You don't sound like the Lucky Charms leprechaun, therefore you have a cool Irish accent.

Then again, it could be because you have a pleasing, soothing voice to listen to (it embarrasses me a bit to admit that).

TheCaptain

A Guy In A Hat
Feb 7, 2012
Alright, I'm too tired to watch the whole thing now, but "piss-takey" is a term I'll have to use more often in conversation. I'll jot that down right here...

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
Warpcon is not a mini version of that you guys did there!!! It's the second biggest gaming con in Ireland! Bold Gavin, you take that back!

Great panel guys

-M

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Gavin is so awesome.
It makes me feel a bit bad for not viewing his work as much as I could.
Well, it's never too late to change.

TheWojo

Jan 28, 2009
Is it just me or the last person that got to ask a question does sound a lot like Justin Clouse?