Escapist is ranked 6th best Video Game Website

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Top 15 Best Video Game Websites | October 2021

Escapist is ranked 6th best Video game website!

Like the song goes, it doesn't change a thing but even so, ... it's nice to know!

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Top 15 Best Video Game Websites | October 2021

Escapist is ranked 6th best Video game website!

Like the song goes, it doesn't change a thing but even so, ... it's nice to know!
The fact that a bunch of cash-in websites are ranked ahead of it and that this is still just a shallow popularity contest makes the list seem trivial at best, but I suppose it’s nice to know the site is gaining recognition.

Also, Gametrailers is still a thing?

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Not as it's own website, which kinda tells you a few things. Joystiq and Gamefront are up there too. While the latter does have video and article updates, I'm pretty sure none of the videos are original and it's literally one guy writing the articles, and those might be bits grabbed from somewhere else. Their forum also seems to list Discord users in it's online section.

But hey, we beat some corpses. Even if we have a spy from GameFront in our midst. You know who you are.

Reactions: gorfias

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
awkward-confused.gif

Truthfully I dont even have a list of gaming websites I like. This is literally the only site I visit other than the accidental clickbait from kotaku. My relationship with gaming is such that any gaming news I hear is largely word of mouth because so many games come out anymore it's just an information overload to seek out news. I like the escapist show because it's unpaid casual ramblings about gaming as apposed to be pummeled with gaming news by people paid to let developers sit on a couch and pitch their games.

I listen to escapist reviews, escapist show, and Modern vintage gamer. Thats it as far as my gaming news goes.

Last edited:

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
By some site I've never heard of, great. If the Escapist is so highly rated how come the forums are still a borderline ghost town and our only new members are bots?

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
By some site I've never heard of, great. If the Escapist is so highly rated how come the forums are still a borderline ghost town and our only new members are bots?

According to the preroll ahead of some videos the escapist is apparently on track to have it's best year ever. I assume that's an all-time record as opposed to a v2 record but I don't know for sure. Either way it's impressive given the competition from not only other news sites but also YouTube/twitch exclusive groups.

As far as the forums... I have a lot of long running sites in the bookmarks and most of them either removed the forums and went discord exclusive or just left the forums to rot with even less activity than this forum. I think forums just aren't part of how people use sites like this anymore.

Reactions: gorfias

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
According to the preroll ahead of some videos the escapist is apparently on track to have it's best year ever. I assume that's an all-time record as opposed to a v2 record but I don't know for sure. Either way it's impressive given the competition from not only other news sites but also YouTube/twitch exclusive groups.

As far as the forums... I have a lot of long running sites in the bookmarks and most of them either removed the forums and went discord exclusive or just left the forums to rot with even less activity than this forum. I think forums just aren't part of how people use sites like this anymore.
It might be that most people can only handle bite sized information now and their AD/HD attention spans demand instant gratification that places like Discord seem to cater to.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The fact that a bunch of cash-in websites are ranked ahead of it and that this is still just a shallow popularity contest makes the list seem trivial at best, but I suppose it’s nice to know the site is gaining recognition.

That does not make any sense, because GameTrailers is Easy Allies now.

I don't care about some dumb populated list. As far as I'm concerned with this forum and website, you're my number one.

Last edited:

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I mean, I think the main issue is that most other gaming "websites" are archives for articles on social media and YouTube.

Like, on the off chance I visit a gaming website, it's either because I'm looking up a specific video game walkthrough thing (and ign has terrible SEO for that), or I'm clicking a link of Twitter

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
It might be that most people can only handle bite sized information now and their AD/HD attention spans demand instant gratification that places like Discord seem to cater to.
Eh I dunno. From where I'm sitting Discord is just mIRC with a new coat of paint and some much needed functionality. I attribute the decline of forums more to the fact that they're very disconnected from content now. Used to be forums were the only good place to talk about something just posted. Now you can comment on Discus, you can go to Discord, you can write a comment on Youtube and so on and so forth. You don't need to log into a forum, find a topic, write a post, and have nobody read it or get instantly banned anymore. You can just yell into the void and move on with life.

Nick Calandra

Editor-in-Chief of The Escapist
Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
Haha as excited as I was to see that list when I first came upon it, it's either old or just something random.

And yes, we are on track for our best year yet as V2. We've had substantial growth since we started streaming a lot more and the whole membership model.

That being said...I'm biased, but I think we have the best content, best team and best community out of all the current gaming outlets. May not be the biggest, but we have the most fun and the friendliest community.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Congrats, Escapist. It's certainly better now than during the interregnum.

It's not a very competitive field, though.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
I think we're really more in competition with outlets like Kinda Funny, Minnmax, NoClip, Last Stand Media, etc these days over stuff like IGN, Gamespot, Polygon.
Baby steps. Turtle in the back until we can sneak up on Gamespot first. But you have my thanks for not letting the forums become ResetEra.

Nick Calandra

Editor-in-Chief of The Escapist
Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
Baby steps. Turtle in the back until we can sneak up on Gamespot first. But you have my thanks for not letting the forums become ResetEra.
Still can’t believe some poor saps got suckered into buying that hellhole.

Reactions: Leg End