Escapist Magazine on Quantcast

Jarlaxl

Oct 14, 2010
https://www.quantcast.com/escapistmagazine.com

Popped over to check out Escapist Magazine on Quantcast (a website using a combination of web tagging and third-party data sources to model out site usage information). In the world of digital media, Quantcast and comScore act as sort of combined lingua franca when comparing traffic between sites. Thought that the community may find some of the information in here interesting.

A few metrics I'll cherry-pick (current as of 3/10/14) are below. Please bear in mind that, when I say "the internet" I mean the U.S. internet unless otherwise stated:

* ~2.9 million people are reached monthly by Escapist Magazine. They represent about 3.7 million cookies (a cookie is roughly approximate to a unique device), of which approximately 38% are mobile devices (tablets and phones).

* Those 2.9 million people generate about 8.3 million visits, or about 2.9 visits per month per person. If you're thinking, wait, I visit more than that in a day, then congratulations, you've just figured out why averages aren't always the best metric, especially on the internet. :) Also, you're a particularly engaged user - there are probably thousands, if not millions, of passer-by visitors who just came in for an article through Google and left. You're basically making up that difference to arrive at that average.

* Those 8.3 million visits generate about 25.6 million page views, or 3.1 page views per visit. See above if you generate 200 page views alone in an hour of forum-surfing.

* Roughly half of the people visiting Escapist Magazine are in the USA. The UK, Canada, Australia, and Germany occupy slots 2 through 5.

* Interestingly, in spite of this, the cities with the most cookies are, in order, Toronto, Brisbane, Sydney, Los Angeles, and Singapore.

* Here's how to read an index: 100 means that you're equivalent to the rest of the internet. The further above 100 you go, the more over-representative of that demographic group you are, and below 100 is the opposite. For instance, our index on Male users is 188 - that's because 92% of our site traffic is male, which is almost double the whole internet's share of men using the internet.

* On that note, this is a dramatically male-dominated site - 92% of site users are male, while 8% are female.

* This site's user base is also over-representative of 18-24 year olds (27% of the site), as well as 25-34 year olds (30% of the site). Younger-than-18 year olds also frequent the site more than is typical of the internet, and all older age groups are under-represented.

* 83% of users have no children in their household. This is far more than the 51%-49% no kids/yes kids split typical of the internet.

* This site's user base isn't horribly skewed in household income (HHI), but we're not a hugely affluent bunch - 65% of us have a HHI of $0-50K compared to the US average of 51%. We're under-represented in each higher HHI bracket.

* Educationally, we're fairly representative of the typical U.S. internet user base, although we do slightly over-index in the 'no college' bucket.

* For ethnicity, we're a bit under-indexed on Asian and Hispanic groups, a bit over-indexed on Caucasians, and very under-representative of African Americans.

There's a few other interesting tidbits on Quantcast, but I thought that this might be a good handful of metrics just to show some interesting facts about this site.

I must emphasize that this is not a census methodology - much of this is modeled out, especially the demographic data - but take the results as directionally accurate, since population-level data is almost impossible to compose.

So, what do you think?

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
I wonder just how many of those page views and site visits are mine... <.<

Anyway, neat! I kind of already knew it was a big sausagefest here though. =P

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Jarlaxl said:
So, what do you think?
Majority young, Caucasian, relatively affluent, semi-well educated, childless males from English speaking nations. On a video game website.

Way to fight against stereotypes, guys :p