Escapist News Network: Kathleen's Book Club

Graham_LRR

Unskippable, LRR, Feed Dump
Nov 13, 2008
Kathleen's Book Club

Kathleen presents the complete nutjobs of gaming, and looks at a hot new game book.

Watch Video

darth jacen

Sith Reviewer
Jul 15, 2009
Was the esoteric sarcastic British writer joke a shot at Yahtzee? It was another interesting episode, thanks guys. Oh, and the Nut Watch segment was awesome. We need more nuts!

dex-dex

Oct 20, 2009
That book will come in handy!
i have two weddings to go to!

I agree that we need more nuts!

SaunaKalja

Sep 18, 2009
Cube shaped geometry would be superior to this dull, smooth reality we live in.

Now I must return to mine coal and ore.

ahiddenfigure

Hunter of Monsters
Sep 14, 2009
At the end, oh the alliteration! The Titillating Tekken Tag-Team Tournament Two Teaser Trailer. What a mouthful! How many takes were needed to get it right?

Also, great jibe at Yahtzee!

Calatar

May 13, 2009
Truly that trailing talk time was tailored tightly.

I'd be surprised if they did that in one take.

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
Additional, if ancillary, affirmation advocating awesome applications of alliteration.

Add this to the ever-growing list of excellent ENN episodes.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Bobby moment made me laugh so hard - Balls in mouth XD Fantastic! Kathleen getting lots and lots of exposure this week! Go KAthleen!

Keith K

Oct 29, 2009
Good stuff up until the book club. That section was funny, but unfortunately too slow, long and boring. I skipped most of it.

Liked the Nut Watch though.

Graham_LRR

Nov 13, 2008

How the hell does Kotick manage to look so evil in so many of his pics? o_O

Galad

Nov 4, 2009
Sinclose said:

How the hell does Kotick manage to look so evil in so many of his pics? o_O
He looked more like a careless man with an acoustic guitar on a beach, trying to score ladies.
Actually, I get that mental image from most of his photos o.o

The Book Club segment was fantastic :D

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
Strange, I hosted a podcast earlier this year and in one of them, I awarded Kotick the title of Dick of the Week.

Mikael Sanfors

Sep 13, 2010
You mean a truly terrific titillating tekken tag tournament two teaser trailer TAUTOLOGY?

edit; >_< I meant alliteration.

Never mind.

First post and already failing the funny. :p

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Cool. I've been looking for a new book. Just finished reading fallout 3. Man, what a read. I cried half way through it.

omegatheta

AutoTuning Denton Clone
Dec 4, 2008
I noticed he mentioned Yatzee in the intro for the book club

Edit: ALLITERATION....do you guys get paid a bonus for that ?! lol

Noxshadow

u mad?
Jan 12, 2010
Now that Kathleen is an anchor, she can't be The Girl anymore. Tally and Missy have that duty now. Tally gets all the professional roles, from Laurel Holly to Sabrina Grey, to the Elf in that Global Agenda episode. And Missy gets all the eccentric characters. Sorry Kathleen, but hey; you're still The Girl in LRR videos.

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
So how many times did you have to do the ending to get it without messing up? That was quite a tongue twister..

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
unacomn said:
Strange, I hosted a podcast earlier this year and in one of them, I awarded Kotick the title of Dick of the Week.
That's right, kids! Bobby Kotick is a Dick AND Nuts. He's the total Package. You heard it here first. (wordplay is fun)

ironlordthemad

Sep 25, 2009
Well done to Graham and Kathleen for stringing together all those T's at the end, my tongue could never work around that. Kathleen's Nut watch is a great feature for the show. Its good to have a round up of all the stupid stuff that video game people say.

By the way thank you for not really covering the Halo Reach launch.

Ed.

Jan 14, 2010
Liked the mine-craft reference

and the "we are still developing that technology"

Is that a reference to what paul said in a Chustle pod-cast about MR ballsmatron?

8bitmaster

Devourer of pie
Nov 9, 2009
zombie711 said:
Kathleen's hait still has a little blue in it. or perhapse its pruple
Not trying to be a grammer nazi here, but you gotta work on your spelling.

OT: It was a great one this week. Too bad I am in a place where I can't watch it with sound.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
Kathleen's Book Club should be a regular show. I think that's my favorite segment they've done. I especially liked the facial expression seen at 3:45. Maybe next week will be "Kathleen enjoys a lemon."

Graham_LRR

Nov 13, 2008
Awesome alliteration at the end. Also when the book club started I looked at the time remaining and thought "oh goody they're going to stretch out a gag to the point of death" thanks for proving me wrong, it was funny.

Mr Companion

Jul 27, 2009
A cave of blocks in a world of blocks, with beautiful block trees and glistening block water...
Anyway!
The epsisode was great, I like the idea of an index for Halo insults.

SantoUno

Aug 13, 2009
Wow, that book club segment was just hilarious. I love it when ENN adds new segments, but my favorite is still the Headshot ;).

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
darth jacen said:
Was the esoteric sarcastic British writer joke a shot at Yahtzee? It was another interesting episode, thanks guys. Oh, and the Nut Watch segment was awesome. We need more nuts!
Not sure "shot" is the right phrase.

Loved the book club. And Nut Watch.

Mysnomer

Nov 11, 2009
Brief and subtle Yahtzee joke? Awesome
Book segment? Hit and Miss, will probably get better
Nut thing? Like I said before, don't break the part of being a disinterested, deadpan news anchor. When using "goofy" voices, you really break the set-up that allows fake news segments to be funny.
Titillating Tekken Tag Tournament Two teaser trailer? Truly tremendous.

Graham_LRR

Nov 13, 2008
hehe loved the Yahtzee reference.
What the fuck is a "combat multiplier"?
And I predict a sudden increase in the use of blade fornicating, primate scat play enthusiast based epithets in MW2 online game-play.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Planeswalker Bobby Kotick is too unbalanced and overpowered to be allowed in legal MtG tournaments. How bad is it, you ask? It makes Gleemax look underpowered.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
So did anyone else think of Gabe Newell when Graham was describing the new nuts segment? I fully expect to see him on there someday... He'll open his big mouth and say something as equally dumb as his previous comments about the PS3 being a disaster soon enough. No matter how much you love Valve and Steam, you know this to be true.

I also loved when Paul compared the strategy guide to an internet guide. Indeed, the search function is very lacking.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
I loved the Book Club session. That was absolutely fantastic.

"Back to you Kathleen!" "Thank you, Kathleen."

JonnoStrife

Sep 5, 2009
Lol that tongue twister at the end was great.

Also;
Kathleen Nut watch = Thumbs up
Katheleen Book club = Thumbs down.

Amarsir

Jul 7, 2009
ENN, now with 70% more Kathleen! Giving the fans what they want.

Though I must say after watching Tally and Kathleen in that segment, I have to ask: "Ladies, what's the deal with sleeves that extend three feet past where your arms end?"

Also: Bobby Kotick, Planeswalker was a great visual gag, but the resolution made it a little tough to read.

Draconalis

Sep 11, 2008
How can you people not enjoy the book club? Did you watch it while muted? Was that the problem?

It was hilarious! I honestly think this is my favorite ENN to date.

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
A lot to like in this episode. I enjoyed the Reading Rainbow reference, the reference to Yahtzee, the unintentionally amusing Canadian "sorry", Kathleen having to yell over the fighting at the end of the book segment and that Tekken bit at the end was really good.
Also Kathleen was really really busy this week.

AvsJoe

May 28, 2009
Nut Watch - funny, I'd love to see more segments
Book Club - It was great but don't do it too often

And I loved the tongue twister at the end. Great stuff!

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
Quite good ENN this week, although i would say both of the statements this week are nuts! Or even... crunchy.

Tally LRR

Oct 21, 2009
Amarsir said:
Though I must say after watching Tally and Kathleen in that segment, I have to ask: "Ladies, what's the deal with sleeves that extend three feet past where your arms end?"
Oh, they're totally trendy and tasteful. Actually, I hadn't even noticed that about my sleeves. I bought that too-large shirt for $2 at Value Village in an attempt to be appropriately costumed as a frumpy, washed up romance novelist. :)

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
Blue-State said:
hehe loved the Yahtzee reference.
What the fuck is a "combat multiplier"?
And I predict a sudden increase in the use of blade fornicating, primate scat play enthusiast based epithets in MW2 online game-play.
Perhaps it is referring to the strength of a team? Bare with me here, but it could be saying that he's such a bad ass or something that by having him on your team, your team can achieve objectives that beforehand would be fool hardy to attempt.

Just me spit balling guesses however.

Graham_LRR

Nov 13, 2008
Hmmmm.... "English ex pats" eh? High five if you got it!

Also i enjoyed Kathrine's bobby. k. voice. Kind of L.Ron.Hubbard ish. He did indeed just insult every independent developer apart from bungie. I guess we'll just have to stick to our 'low quality' Valve games : (

Also the wrath and RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE!! of PC gamers was almost palpable when that kinect man opened his mouth and firmly placed his, and many other peoples, foot in it.

wonkify

Oct 2, 2009
Nice try, but I'm sure we all recognize that the "Nut Watch" is simply going to be whatever Kotick said most recently. Calls for renaming the segment I'm afraid.

And this may be the color blindness talking, but did the "guest author" in Kathleen's book segment have purple hair? Sort of?

Really enjoyed the bit though, I thought it was right on target.

Mikester1290

Jun 29, 2010
I love that we get all this awesome entertainment every week for free, YAY!

Escapist News Network = More factual and entertaining news than Fox for sure.

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
That whole thing about using it for proping up stuff etc reminded me of the (joking) 5-star reviews for The Atlas of Creation on Amazon.

Joshic Shin

Level 8 DM
Apr 4, 2009
Wait...AbstinenceWarrior 69?

I like the hidden joke. Good episode everyone, thanks for another humorous moment for my day. :D

Jackel86

May 3, 2008
"Planeswalker Bobby Kotick." I had to do a double take there. I thought, "Did they just make a Magic reference?"

And I love how much effort went in to the card for him. Perfect abilities, and he's mono-black. Quite funny.

DoomBlackDragon

Sep 13, 2008
Kinda sad this episode was only for Xbox fan boys. Was glad the nutshot defend the PC gaming for like 15 seconds.

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
Your hair DID look awesome, Kathleen ;)

That was one of the best ENN's you guys have done, and I don't say that lightly!
I like how you used Tally's novelist character from way back when and had her fight with Paul via Xbox live trash talk :p

"Washed up romance novelist" had me in stitches. As did Paul's puzzlement with the lacking Search feature of .... a book :p

I loved that you guys stuck it to the man in this one- specifically the stupid man from Activision :p

I can't even begin to start analysing this... I'm still laughing!! :D

EDIT

Yahtzee reference was hilarious "sarcastic ex-pat" is a brilliant line- who came up with the Book Club segment, actually?
I loved it!

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Kathleen's hair did look awesome. I feel proud that I was actually paying attention to it. Mostly because of color, but hey, I'm a color fan.

Stevo_s

Working on Avatar
Jan 24, 2010
vanthebaron said:
how many takes did it take for the tounge twister at the end
I was about to ask that!! damn!!!
so umm..
anybody else feel like they are gonna miss out on so many great games cause they hate spending so much money??

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
I am so going to use the phrase "knife humping monkey poo flinger" at some point in the future.

And I love the new segments!

CoreKrogoth

Mar 8, 2010
I'm glad to see Plailhaus is somewhat back.

Kotick has also declared that his goal is to stop making video games fun and that he is on the Deathstar.

More evidence that he is, the Evil Emperor Palpatine. I can't wait until somebody throws him down his own shaft. I'd like to ask everybody to boycott him (currently Activision Blizzard).

Moon_Called

Mar 21, 2009
Truly terrific topics, though try to trounce true tomfools, those two technically tended towards twits.

CK76

Sep 25, 2009
Moon_Called said:
Truly terrific topics, though try to trounce true tomfools, those two technically tended towards twits.
Tricky trusting teacher's typing treasure teeming time-worn tall tales through tip-top tried trash talking.

Graham_LRR

Nov 13, 2008
I love the Katleen book club part. The argument between Paul,Ryan and that women was hilarious.

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
Tekken Tag Tournament Two? we should call it the T4 or Tek4... that should also boost the sales to hardcore Eve players who rely solely on hearsay :p

Waddles

Mar 16, 2010
did i see a reference to the unskippable of eternal sonata there?
in the subscript as graham is announcing the book club?

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Wait... "combat multiplyer"? Isn't the term "force multiplyer"?

Just sayin'.

Please don't hurt me.

EDIT: Also, the Nut Watch section was hilarious. Have you considered making it a regular... section... thing?

z3rostr1fe

Aug 14, 2009
Zhukov said:
EDIT: Also, the Nut Watch section was hilarious. Have you considered making it a regular... section... thing?
With Bobby Kotick saying too much shit everyday, they should rename it to "Kotick Watch". And make it a regular thing...

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
Sabrina Gray is pretty hot!

edit: not as hot as Kathleen but still.

Also, extremely funny epsiode. I love the part about the sausage roll!

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
What was the deal with the "Good ol' games" bit? Why was Graham showing a picture of himself? Did ENN pull the same trick and I missed it? Yeah, I'm kind of confused by that. Otherwise, great episode!

(Tekken Tag Tournament Two Teaser Trailer sounds Tittilating and will Trump the Tedious Taste of Terrible Top-selling Titles from Today to Tomorrow.)
(Seriously, the alliteration at the end was hilarious.)

Versago

May 28, 2009
Even better, was that the Tekken Tag Tournament Teaser Trailer revealed at Tougeki 2010.

LadyRhian

May 13, 2010
unacomn said:
Now he has the whole set- Dick to Nuts.

theshadowcult

Dec 1, 2009
Love the Minecraft and Yahtzee references there, and the new segment was ok, may need to work on it to keep it a littlemore fluid though, but great episode :D

Vohn_exel

Residential Idiot
Oct 24, 2008
A Minecraft( I assume) and Reading Rainbow reference? You guys are awesome :D

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
I can see "Kotick gets the Nut of the Week Award" turn into a running joke very, very quickly.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
I still can't believe they're reviewing a game guide book...hahahaaa

did they make a dig at Yahtzee and the journal from Reach special editions?? xD (I have yet to read the former, need to get it)

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Oh god the video froze when Kathleens face went wierd after hearing He is a combat multiplier,
cant sleep Kathleen will eat me

wammnebu

Sep 25, 2010
so is there going to be a Kathleen's book club for the Fallout New Vegas strategy club...the one that is longer than war and peace

mr_rubino

Sep 19, 2010
Wouldn't he actually be putting his balls in Blizzard's mouth with the statement?
Perhaps I am mixing my metaphors...