Escapist News Network: The Newsroom: Dead Dragon Distance

Graham_LRR

Unskippable, LRR, Feed Dump
Nov 13, 2008
The Newsroom: Dead Dragon Distance

Your mom may hate Dead Space 2, but maybe she'll like this! Or not.

Watch Video

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
Hmm...
So the Newsroom is basically the Phailhaus?
Awesome.
Any chance of getting some pics of the day?

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Yes!! More ENN: Phailhaüs Edition!

And no one correct me, because that is what this will be to me.

Edit: Phun Phact: Iph you want to use the special version of the letter "u", just hold the Alt key and type 129. Enjoy =)

Edit: I can't get over how much that rhino sounds like Paul.

LadyRhian

May 13, 2010
I loved this,. I Lol'ed several times. The looks Graham threw at Jeremy were priceless!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Desperately dying of Dyssentary. XD

Also, we totally do need a ratings system with things like "This game is shit."

Eternal_Lament

Sep 23, 2010
After seeing this style of ENN being done twice so far, I can say tat this new style is certainly entertaining. I hope to see more ENN like this, but I won't mind if you guys switch back either.

Telperion

Storyteller
Apr 17, 2008
Your Mom Hates Dead Space 2 - Behind the Scenes [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtAdjrvD0bY]

Brilliant! In a way, which makes me want to shake my head with disapproval.

BeepBoopBrother

Jan 26, 2011
I totally agree.
I REALLY hate that Dead Space 2 ad campaign.
My mom never gave a damn about what I played and she still doesn't.
Now actually try to sell the game to me, EA.

Ensis235

Sep 14, 2010
The Newsroom format it interesting, and it pays off. I enjoy it for one.
I'm glad someone spoke about the Dead Space 2 ad campaign. Honestly, it feels cheap and shallow. Sure, it's an advertisement, but it's trying to sell an incredibly graphic and violent game to 13 year olds via shock value. Really? Shock value sells games nowadays? When the original Mortal Kombat came out is sold because of shock value, but that was over a decade ago! Well done ENN, keep it up.

Zagzag

Sep 11, 2009
It's great to see all of the ENN writers more involved in the actual show!

DoctorHobo

Apr 9, 2010
I love these, even more than the vanilla ENN! Might have to do with that fact that the end of Phailhaüs left a hole in my life. A very strange shaped hole which can only be fill by the ranting of Canadians.

Hope more ENN: Phailhaüs is on it's way.

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
it's pretty good, except for one thing:
not enough time for all the stuff that happened this week? then how about making one video per week, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmh?

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
@Ensis235: It came out in '92 or '93, so almost 2 decades ago.

I love this format, but I'm also hankering for the standard format. I don't care when, though, really. Still fantastically funny, and it's really nice to get to see everyone pitch their stories. Again I ask, how similar is ENN: Newroom to the actual pre-episode meeting to discuss what will be in that episode? Did you guys essentially just film one of your meetings, adding things for the audience in places, or is it that you had a pre-meeting meeting to meet meeting meet meet?

Graham_LRR

Nov 13, 2008
I think this could be the best ep of this show. I wanna see more stuff like this

Nephilium

Oct 29, 2009
BeepBoopBrother said:
I totally agree.
I REALLY hate that Dead Space 2 ad campaign.
My mom never gave a damn about what I played and she still doesn't.
Now actually try to sell the game to me, EA.
This, Im 27, why the hell would my mother care what i play after work. Idiots in marketing need to take a better look at the ACTUAL age of the target audence of there games.

bawkbawkboo1

Nov 20, 2008
Ceiling fans don't actually reduce temperature, they just blow air around. Heat energy isn't really taken out of the room.

I really lol'd at the price is right reference.

CitySquirrel

Jun 1, 2010
What is sad is that this basically proves that they* are marketing to kids. Which the industry has been trying to say isn't what is going on.

*The makers of Deadspace 2... not every video game company. But they all get linked together by people outside of the industry anyway, so it doesn't matter.

Kimarous

Sep 23, 2009
This format is... okay, but can we get some actual ENN sometime? It's bad enough that you've gone biweekly, but now you give us these "Newsroom" episodes instead of the original show? To this user, they feel more like an unfinished normal episode... the thought process behind it without any major effort put behind it. It's especially worrying when you follow up this episode with "we only have so much time." Are you saying that the ENN show barely has time for a minimalist backstage discussion now? I admit, stuff like Daily Drop can be entertaining at times, but is ENN really getting sacrificed for shows like that?

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Awesome episode.
Hands down Paul wins it, though, with his Kingdom Hearts 3D title: Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dun Dun Dun
I honestly laughed out loud. Just awesome.
Whatever the format, I love this show! Keep it up!

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
Kimarous said:
This format is... okay, but can we get some actual ENN sometime? It's bad enough that you've gone biweekly, but now you give us these "Newsroom" episodes instead of the original show? To this user, they feel more like an unfinished normal episode... the thought process behind it without any major effort put behind it. It's especially worrying when you follow up this episode with "we only have so much time." Are you saying that the ENN show barely has time for a minimalist backstage discussion now? I admit, stuff like Daily Drop can be entertaining at times, but is ENN really getting sacrificed for shows like that?
From what I heard somewhere a while ago, they did all of the filming for Daily drop over like a week or two period and have just been rolling them out once a day. They had to rent a very expensive high speed camera to shoot with, and they don't have unlimited access to it to actually film every day. So that wouldn't be consuming a huge amount of time for them ( apart from editting)

but they're busy people. they have to write shoot and edit 2-3 other videos a week, as well as make podcasts, and all the other miscellaneous work associated with LRR, as well as probably have some kind of life outside of just doing LRR.

That said, I think it'd be awesome if ENN went back to weekly, and alternated between formal ENN and newsroom every week.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
So, i'm assuming that this is just you guys brainstorming and making these jokes up on the spot, which is fine, i rather like it, but if that the case they cant take that long to make, a afternoon in good company, so maybe go back to weekly and make these in between the "real" ENN, or stay bi-weekly and post these for the subscription people, I'm not a member but they seem like they could use some extra videos, and i would definitely jump subscribe if you did.

I thought it was a all right episode, again assuming that its all made up over the course of a couple of hours, but not nearly as good as the "real" ENN (sorry for using that term, but just "ENN" is a little vague and "regular ENN" sounds like something that will help me poo).

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
As much as I'm enjoying ENN: Phailhaüs edition, it may alienate fewer fans of the 'original' ENN if you do this format, then the original. Alternate episodes.

Or not. I'll be watching either way.

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
I lol'd like scream Lol'd at "Kingdom Hearts: ...Dum Dum DUM!"
I love you Paul. Also, my mother is now worried. XD

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Thank you, Graham, for encapsulating my disgust for the Dead Space 2 ad campaign, where everyone told me I was being an oversensitive jerk for thinking it was an awful idea.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
CitySquirrel said:
What is sad is that this basically proves that they* are marketing to kids. Which the industry has been trying to say isn't what is going on.

*The makers of Deadspace 2... not every video game company. But they all get linked together by people outside of the industry anyway, so it doesn't matter.
For the most part, you're right. I would say that Mass Effect was not marketed to kids though.

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
I liked this episode better than the last one. The zoo on the blackboard was a nice touch.

TwistedEllipses

Nov 18, 2008
I thought the comments last time were largely in favour of the old format, but yet we're got newsroom again...is there at least going to be some alternating?

punipunipyo

Jan 20, 2011
Actually.... I like both "ENN news beta" and "ENN news Complete, packaged". Both have unique styles in them... but I'd hate to see one of them being dropped out, I never get why you guys(yes... and girls) would turn such popular vid-project in to a biweekly show, I was hoping that you guys would do the 2 variations side by side; ENN briainstorm, ENN complete, ENN brainstorm, then ENN complete again, EVERY WEEK!(please?) I don't mind if it is the same thing/subject, just one is complete, the other one is at planting phase.... but I'd like to see ENN every week (and I know there is MANY others who would like that too)... sounds like a crunch time request... don't HAVE TO, just personal wish, and I DO KNOW doing 2 shows per week is hard... result/answer from you, I'd take a "no" ok too... if that's the case.

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
Jbird said:
Yes!! More ENN: Phailhaüs Edition!

And no one correct me, because that is what this will be to me.
I know that is why I started watching ENN again. Rather It is why I started watching ENNN.

carnkhan4 said:
I thought the comments last time were largely in favour of the old format, but yet we're got newsroom again...is there at least going to be some alternating?
You heard them. They listened to some of the feedback.

sgwee

Dec 13, 2009
dead space 2 ad campaign- suck
dead space 2 demo on 360- freakin awesome

TheEnglishman

Jun 13, 2009
So essentially it's: Dead Space 2, you're Mom doesn't like it, not that she'll actually play it, so essentially this message is rather redundant, as the only people who would buy a game just to spite their Mother isn't old enough to buy this game, my gosh we're stupid, every word we say right now is wasted money.

itf cho

Custom title? Bah! oh wait...
Jul 8, 2010
I wasn't completely sold on the new format last week, but I really enjoyed this episode. And they certainly did get one thing right... Justin Bieber does blow.

sooperman

Partially Awesome at Things
Feb 11, 2009
It'd be nice to see the original format again, but that Venn at the beginning of the episode makes it worth it. :)
carnkhan4 said:
We can only hope.

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
Graham_LRR said:
Doing a spot on Reading Rainbow Reffernce
I remember the episode where Levar took the kids backstage on Star Trek: TNG (I think it included a "Supper Bunny" book). It was a geeks dream come true. But you don't have to take my word for it ...

alrekr

Mar 11, 2010
punipunipyo said:
Actually.... I like both "ENN news beta" and "ENN news Complete, packaged". Both have unique styles in them... but I'd hate to see one of them being dropped out, I never get why you guys(yes... and girls) would turn such popular vid-project in to a biweekly show, I was hoping that you guys would do the 2 variations side by side; ENN briainstorm, ENN complete, ENN brainstorm, then ENN complete again, EVERY WEEK!(please?) I don't mind if it is the same thing/subject, just one is complete, the other one is at planting phase.... but I'd like to see ENN every week (and I know there is MANY others who would like that too)... sounds like a crunch time request... don't HAVE TO, just personal wish, and I DO KNOW doing 2 shows per week is hard... result/answer from you, I'd take a "no" ok too... if that's the case.
I second this arguement!

NewYork_Comedian

Nov 28, 2009
vxicepickxv said:
CitySquirrel said:

For the most part, you're right. I would say that Mass Effect was not marketed to kids though.
Sadly Dragon Age was. Hell just watch the trailers with explosions everywhere and Heavy Metal in the background >_< And this is even worse than that! I do wonder if there's a circle of hell for evil marketers, RUN by the EA marketers.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Kaz Hirai on The Price is Right was just hilarious! Nice joke.

LimeJester

Mar 16, 2009
punipunipyo said:
I was hoping that you guys would do the 2 variations side by side; ENN briainstorm, ENN complete, ENN brainstorm, then ENN complete again, EVERY WEEK!(please?) ... and I DO KNOW doing 2 shows per week is hard... result/answer from you, I'd take a "no" ok too... if that's the case.
Technically right now they do 2 weekly shows (LRR + Unskippable), plus biweekly ENN. Add on top of that all the bonus content they put up on their website, organizing DB4H months ahead of time, and jobs, family, friends, etc. I think the LRR crew has their hands full. I'd rather see one well done biweekly ENN video than two weekly rushed ENN's. If they are rushing one project, all their projects are going to suffer, plus their personal lives. That's how people get burnt out and quit what they are doing.

Long Live The LRR!

Ashoten

Aug 29, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
Seriously? People are preordering for a thousand bucks?
The worst part about that is if enough people preorder it then the company will probably raise the price over $1000.

Also: "Desperately dying of Dyssentary" lol

BrunDeign

Feb 14, 2008
While I agree with the thing about good games being somewhat scarce on the Wii, when they are actually good games they ARE GREAT GAMES. Donkey Kong, No More Heroes, Super Mario Bros, Mad World, to name a few.

Also the TRULY TERRIBLE games are only ever really found on the 360 and maybe the PS3.

Sonic Free Riders anyone? Or maybe Mindjack?

Lady Kathleen

Space Cowboy
Oct 8, 2009
Kimarous said:
Actually, this format takes more time to film and edit than 'classic' ENN - we only edit together the good stuff - we film a LOT more and then re-do, edit, and cut, cut, cut. It only appears totally 'off the cuff'.

We're not sacrificing ENN for other shows - we're trying to find a format that Escapist viewers want to see.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
This is fun but I hope that this isn't all the show is going to be ever again, it would be nice if more episodes like this were mixed in with episodes with the old format.

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
Baby Tea said:
Awesome episode.
Hands down Paul wins it, though, with his Kingdom Hearts 3D title: Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dun Dun Dun
I honestly laughed out loud. Just awesome.
Whatever the format, I love this show! Keep it up!
I agree one hundred percent. I had the same reaction.

Cosplay Horatio

May 19, 2009
Best ENN Newsroom episode so far because I'm sure there will be more awesome episodes for the next ENN be it news report or newsroom. I would like to see weekly episodes but I can wait till the 16th for another episode especially if its gonna be as good or greater than this episode.

Vohn_exel

Residential Idiot
Oct 24, 2008
I like this, but I think that it'd be cooler as a "every other time" type of format. It's not really Phailhaus because it's all game related and you lose some of the idiotic things people do, not to mention there's no "pic of the day, day of the day, word of the day," etc.

These are fun and enjoyable, but I also enjoyed the old ENN. Now, if we could get the actual Phaiulhaus here like once a month or so, and then also ENN, that would be AWESOME, but I don't want LRR to die of exhaustion, lol. I particularly enjoyed the Mario fan. My friend has a plate with Mario on it.

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
This newsroom format is still lame. Also, I spotted jump cuts. Shame on you. Go back to the previous format.

eva243

Jan 29, 2009
I so agree with their commentary on the dead space 2 ads. They're such shit :/

Which is why they are rated S :D

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Eh, I liked the ad campaign. It's better than just showing some gameplay with MELO-DRAMATIC NARRATION! like most games do.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Aptspire said:
not enough time for all the stuff that happened this week? then how about making one video per week, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmh?
Considering this week's ENN Rejected was a good four minutes long...

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I don't think I've laughed so much at a video in some time. That was great. I loved the Dead Space 2 ad counter campaign.
Although I guess that ad campaign is a step up from the Dante's Inferno ad campaign, I hadn't thought of that.

JoeCool385

May 10, 2010
And now that I watched it, I have to wait another two weeks for the next one. Saddest thing about ENN :(

The Big Eye

Truth-seeking Tail-chaser
Aug 19, 2009
I always liked the first half of the ENN shows (and the after-credits sequence, of course). The editorial bits were usually pretty obnoxious. The newsroom is basically the first half of ENN made into an entire show, which I think is kind of great.

Also, big props for your thoughts on the Dead Space advertising campaign. Said exactly what I was thinking.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
I've really enjoyed these two episodes although I hope it doesn't become the standard format - I think it works better as an occasional special.

markt1964

Sep 2, 2010
Please bring back more real ENN. While this sort of format can be interesting, I really think it only maintains that as an occasional break from the regular show. I don't think I enjoy it much as I do the regular newscast format.

Besides, I also really miss the adjective of the week... or fortnight, I guess would be more correct now.

Er... I just had a thought. Are you guys starting to get burned out? I mean, first you switch ENN over to biweekly... and now you're giving us what are basically ENN brainstorming sessions instead of actual ENN. I dunno... it's just a fleeting thought, but I hope it's not the case.

I also hope that I don't sound like I'm coming from a sense of entitlement. I just miss the old format is all.

Anyways, that's my 2c.

Graham_LRR

Nov 13, 2008
Sorry, I'm not yelling, but I'm putting this in bold so people see it:

WE DON'T GET TO CONTROL HOW OFTEN WE DO THE SHOW.
PLEASE STOP TELLING US TO "GO BACK TO WEEKLY" OR SAYING THAT WE'RE LAZY/BURNED OUT FOR "DECIDING" TO GO BI-WEEKLY.
We produce the show, we do not decide the schedule.

Thank you.

cornmancer

Dec 7, 2009
I like the Newsroom thing, but I like regular ENN too. Maybe you could come back to doing it once a week and just alternate. One week newsroom, one week ENN. Unless of course you're doing this because ENN is too much work. In which case all I ask is this once a week.

edit: Hadn't seen that. ^^ All apologies.

KoolKomedian

Jul 5, 2009
Please, no more newsroom, I know it must be hard to run about 5 different shows on here, but this newsroom format seems like a cheap way to safe time, and its not working. Yes its still a funny show, but this format really doesn't visuals anymore if its just you guys sitting around a table with iPads. Either go back to looking like an actual news show or just got the next step and make it an audio podcast cause the "newsroom" is not that visually interesting.

cornmancer

Dec 7, 2009
^Personally, I like the newsroom one a bit better. I just think I'll miss stuff like Headshots and Quick's Picks. My 2 cents.

Graham_LRR

Nov 13, 2008
markt1964 said:
Are you guys starting to get burned out? I mean, first you switch ENN over to biweekly... and now you're giving us what are basically ENN brainstorming sessions instead of actual ENN.
Moving to bi-weekly was not our own choice.
carnkhan4 said:
Actually, the comments were mostly in favour of the new format, or "I could go either way". There were some dislikes, but the majority was definitely in favor of this.
Kimarous said:
It's especially worrying when you follow up this episode with "we only have so much time."
That was a joke. These take just as much, if not more, effort than before.
Aptspire said:
Sounds like fun. Sadly, see above.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
lacktheknack said:
Thank you, Graham, for encapsulating my disgust for the Dead Space 2 ad campaign, where everyone told me I was being an oversensitive jerk for thinking it was an awful idea.
Really? What sad people are you surrounded by?

whaleswiththumbs

Feb 13, 2009
Jbird said:
Edit: Phun Phact: Iph you want to use the special version of the letter "u", just hold the Alt key and type 129. Enjoy =)
Or like us cool kids you turn on the international keyboard and type " then the u, for a "ü" !

OT:
I want Oregon Trail 3D, good suggestion Graham. Now we wait for some odd indie coder to attempt while we watch they fight laughter and disappointment when they mysteriously disappear.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
whaleswiththumbs said:
Jbird said:
Or like us cool kids you turn on the international keyboard and type " then the u, for a "ü" !

killa_kid

Mar 17, 2009
Wow, Graham's reaction to Bieber was exactly mine. Bravo Graham, you are now my personal saviour.

Unesh52

May 27, 2010
I was wary of the new format, but I'm coming around. I like it, in fact.

ironlordthemad

Sep 25, 2009
I don't mind that Newroom is basically ENN x Phailhaus, but I still think this would be better as a fly on the wall type show, even if it is scripted.

Slappybob

Jun 18, 2008
I have to say i do not like the new format. If you want to continue doing it this way then kill off the ENN tag and just call it 4 people in a room. Because that is what it is. Y'all sound more like you are pitching ideas to a sketch comedy show then doing any type of "News"

Just not as funny as ENN used to be.

AwesomeExpress

Packages Delivered: 84 / 1900
Feb 4, 2010
I too would like to see Oregon Trail 3-D!

Good video you guys! Way to rock 'em like it's hot!

Keslen

I don't care about titles.
Jan 23, 2010
I hope ENN comes back soon, I really enjoyed that series (I was bummed when it got cut back to every other week). This placeholder is definitely not very entertaining.

Chaos999

Jun 7, 2010
I don?t know if this is new, because I only see this show on The escapist. But did the poster besides the rhino looked like the escapist crew in animated form. It looked nice. You guys could do an animated episode of ENN.

Netface

Oct 10, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
Seriously? People are preordering for a thousand bucks?
No, the $999.99 amount is a placeholder until Sony announces what the actual price will be. This is exactly what they did with the 3DS, and the pre-order amount was $50.

MisterGobbles

Nov 30, 2009
I highly enjoy the new format, it's basically a relaxed discussion between you guys, like you would find on a podcast or something like that.

It doesn't have the feeling of a news network, but it's funny. I like funny things. Keep it up guys.

As for being biweekly, I actually don't mind as LRR puts out enough content anyway, and the less frequent they are the more time they can be worked on, resulting in a better overall video.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
I'm really liking these. They're quite nice. I wouldn't mind seeing this every other week.

Kimarous

Sep 23, 2009
Lady Kathleen said:
Kimarous said:
Actually, this format takes more time to film and edit than 'classic' ENN - we only edit together the good stuff - we film a LOT more and then re-do, edit, and cut, cut, cut. It only appears totally 'off the cuff'.

We're not sacrificing ENN for other shows - we're trying to find a format that Escapist viewers want to see.
Graham_LRR said:
Kimarous said:
It's especially worrying when you follow up this episode with "we only have so much time."
That was a joke. These take just as much, if not more, effort than before.
Thank you for the replies. It can be difficult for the average viewer to realize the technicals that go behind the show, so I apologize if I sounded ungrateful or anything. I really do like this show and want to see it thrive; know that even though I prefer the "classic" format, I appreciate all the effort that you guys put into it.

anaphysik

Nov 5, 2008
Gotta say, I've enjoyed these newsroom episodes a lot more than the standard ENN episodes. Hope you keep going with them!

Corven

Forever Gonzo
Sep 10, 2008
It's probably been mentioned already, but this feels like a spiritual successor to phailhaus, which is a good thing.

i64ever

Aug 26, 2008
You know what other game my mom hated? Kane and Lynch 2! AND SHE WAS RIGHT! Thanks Mom :)

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Formica Archonis said:
lacktheknack said:
Really? What sad people are you surrounded by?
Stupid people, people desperately trying to prove that Dead Space is the best thing evar (yes, I know some people who do that), and about half of <link=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.257571-Visceral-Proves-Your-Mom-Hates-Dead-Space-2>this.

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
Honestly, I preferred the old-style ENN episodes. I'm definitely not saying that the new sketch ideas are unfunny, but I think they work better when the team actually commits to them. Right now we seem to have more of a bunch of half-baked 'what if we made a video about this...' scenes.

There are exceptions, of course: the LeVar Burton sketch was just the right size for this kind of video. Extra points for Graham's teeth.

For the DS externals joke we also would have accepted: bluetooth surround sound-equipped living room with 80-inch LCD screen and bluetooth cheetos, non-bluetooth 1980s desktop computer, bluetooth orthopedic shoes for Walking Simulator 7: the Walkening, bluetooth bong, or bluetooth pelvis-attached cage filled with rabid, hungry wolverines for Nintendo's much-anticipated Genital Mutilation 3.

mikev7.0

Jan 25, 2011
Lady Kathleen said:
Kimarous said:

Great! Then may I suggest a more professional format? With all due respect it's funny to me that you complain about the Dead Space 2 ad campaign (the same as I do) but even though you know your audience (and the fact that many are not 18) you do not temper your content to help parents out a bit. I mean at least a warning for those who like to game with (and watch shows about games that believe it or not have not always had this much mature content) the kids would be nice.

I'm not saying that you are responsible for everyone who clicks on your show. Since you asked about format I for one would like to see something more journalistic and professional. Especially if it is going to package itself that way. Then again maybe the whole "newsroom" image is completely sarcastic and done for a joke.

So, no offense but we won't be tuning in again, and seriously how many shows on the escapist would be considered for general audiences? Not very many that I've encountered so far.

IS there even such a thing as a family friendly or even nuetral website for video game enthusiasts? It's not a "holier than thou cristian thing" either it's just a belief that swearing and sending the script to Porky's school of writing does not equal funny, neither does insulting people.

So I guess what we'd like to see is a relevant, socially acceptable format that when it was humorous it did so with creativity and imagination rather than swearing and humor that is in poor taste.

I know, I know, good luck with THAT one...... You do know they told me the same thing about home schooling right?

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
Yeah... that Dead Space 2 advertising campaign is appaling, it does not help the credibility of this medium, nor appeal in the least to gamers themselves.

Apr 25, 2009
HAHAHA! I loved the Dead Space 2 ad campaign parody! Though I personally liked it, they raised some good points... And again, the parody was hilarious :)

Also, loved the full-size zoo peripheral. At last, I've always been looking for something like this!

Pariah164

May 9, 2008
ENN: Phailhaüs Edition.

I approve of this. If this is how ENN is going to be from now on, I am all for it.

Epic reaction to Justin Bieber, Graham. I made the same face.

cdennett

Universal Constant
Jan 14, 2010
Enjoying the additional content and banter over the "formal" news episodes. Keep it up.

OniYouji

Jan 4, 2011
I'd like a full-sized DS monitor. It'd make recording the footage much easier.

That Dead Space 2 ad campaign got on my nerves, too.

I don't mind the title for Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance. They've made pretty stupid subtitles before, and they all make a bit of sense by the end of the game, so don't judge yet.

CK76

Sep 25, 2009
Graham_LRR said:
Thank you.
No sir, thank you. This is clever, witty, and not predictable. Genuinely funny people entertaining me for free? You should be upset with me, I owe you a drink!

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
I still don't like this new style, it seems lazy compared to the others.

Also, you guys REALLY seem to be running on fumes.

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
Wow Kathleen has amazing hair. That sounds creapy doesn't it?
Well it is. The hair being amazing that is.

It's like a very good painting.

theComposer

Mar 29, 2009
I withheld judgement on the new format last time, but this episode was even better than the last! The newsroom is great, and I find myself actually laughing out loud, which is something I couldn't say before. Keep it up!

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
I am loving this new informal way at presenting the news of gaming to us with it looking like a 'real' news show

Also, when you where talking about the DS 3D and Graham said the word diabetes I keep envisioning him in the bear hat that he wore during the Phailhaus ep

-M

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
lacktheknack said:
<a href=http://twitter.com/#!/RvLeshrac/status/30181029541060610>I demand royalties!

But srsly, yes, that campaign was just horrific.

Aug 1, 2010
Why does everyone hate that add campaign? I thought it was hilarious. Granted, it sucked as an [i/]add[/i], but it's pretty damn funny.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
I'm not a Kingdom Hearts fan, but I would buy seven copies of Kingdom Hearts: Derpy Doggy Dance.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Incidentally, I think politicians need to come with warning labels that read
"Warning: Excessive exposure could lead to permanent stupidity"

Matt_LRR

Unequivocal Fan Favorite
Nov 30, 2009
mikev7.0 said:
Great! Then may I suggest a more professional format? With all due respect it's funny to me that you complain about the Dead Space 2 ad campaign (the same as I do) but even though you know your audience (and the fact that many are not 18) you do not temper your content to help parents out a bit. I mean at least a warning for those who like to game with (and watch shows about games that believe it or not have not always had this much mature content) the kids would be nice.

I'm not saying that you are responsible for everyone who clicks on your show. Since you asked about format I for one would like to see something more journalistic and professional. Especially if it is going to package itself that way. Then again maybe the whole "newsroom" image is completely sarcastic and done for a joke.

So, no offense but we won't be tuning in again, and seriously how many shows on the escapist would be considered for general audiences? Not very many that I've encountered so far.

IS there even such a thing as a family friendly or even nuetral website for video game enthusiasts? It's not a "holier than thou cristian thing" either it's just a belief that swearing and sending the script to Porky's school of writing does not equal funny, neither does insulting people.

So I guess what we'd like to see is a relevant, socially acceptable format that when it was humorous it did so with creativity and imagination rather than swearing and humor that is in poor taste.

I know, I know, good luck with THAT one...... You do know they told me the same thing about home schooling right?
Can I ask if this happened to be the first episode of ENN you clicked on? As it happens, this show has gone through three format iterations - One of very dry, mock-professional, joke news reporting, one of a more sarcastic take on the same format, and more recently, the newsroom format that you see here.

The crew has been doing some experimentation with format, and trying some new things - but this episode is not exactly representative of the series as a whole - at least by way of presentation.

Regarding offensive content, I don't know what to say - there was nothing in this episode that any average kid wouldn't have heard on a playground by the time he hit double digits in age. The overwhelming bulk of the content that our group produces situates itself squarely in the PG-13 ratings category (and this particular episode would have easily been a flat PG). Clearly we can't hope to adhere to everyone's sensibilities, but we aren't exactly Zero Punctuation, either.

At any rate, we do appreciate the feedback, and if you'd like to see some more "professional" takes on the same kind of show I'd advise you to look back into the video archive for this series.

-m

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
RATED S ...yeah that made me laugh xD

amongst other things...Levar Burton needs to come back and appear somewhere again!

Joepow

Jan 10, 2011
Dream Drop Distance? Are you f*cking kidding me? That is a new low.

LaBarnes

Oct 23, 2009
Have I heard "derpy doggy dance" in ENN before? I am not going through their archive to find out, anyone remember?

Lady Kathleen

Space Cowboy
Oct 8, 2009
mikev7.0 said:
Then may I suggest a more professional format? With all due respect it's funny to me that you complain about the Dead Space 2 ad campaign (the same as I do) but even though you know your audience (and the fact that many are not 18) you do not temper your content to help parents out a bit.
The Escapist and our series aren't aimed at children. From the other content and the level of complexity in the content writing, it's clear to see the Escapist is not producing content for children or young families.

mikev7.0 said:

We actually have produced a lot of content that would fit your definition of 'humorous with creativity rather than swearing and poor taste'. However, if you were to look through our archives to find it, I would first filter out all the videos I've written/co-written.
Here's a list. Don't watch anything on it.
http://wiki.loadingreadyrun.com/index.php/Kathleen_De_Vere_Filmography#Writing

Megido

Aug 24, 2008
While watching this episode (which I loved mostly due to the Kingdom Hearts 3D jokes) I realized that Graham looks EERILY like my brother. I mean... the resemblance is uncanny. Now if only my brother resembled Graham in coolness...

Edit: Oh, and just earlier today I was thinking about how moronic the Dead Space 2 ad campaign is. Anybody old enough to buy it probably has a number of habits, hobbies, or vices that their mother doesn't approve of, so... tough shit for mom. Any child's mom who hates the game WON'T BUY IT FOR THEM! Way to tell parents point blank that it's not a good game to buy for their kids. At least if you'd kept your mouths shut you could count on a few oblivious parents buying it without noticing the "M for Mature" label. Now you don't even have that going for you.

9Darksoul6

Jul 12, 2010
@ ENN
If you're sticking with sketchy-humor instead of improv-humor (like I thought you were trying to do) what's the point of doing News Room?
Saving money?
(what was the other show's budget, anyway? 50 bucks?)

mikev7.0

Jan 25, 2011
Matt_LRR said:
mikev7.0 said:

Can I ask if this happened to be the first episode of ENN you clicked on? As it happens, this show has gone through three format iterations - One of very dry, mock-professional, joke news reporting, one of a more sarcastic take on the same format, and more recently, the newsroom format that you see here.

The crew has been doing some experimentation with format, and trying some new things - but this episode is not exactly representative of the series as a whole - at least by way of presentation.

Regarding offensive content, I don't know what to say - there was nothing in this episode that any average kid wouldn't have heard on a playground by the time he hit double digits in age. The overwhelming bulk of the content that our group produces situates itself squarely in the PG-13 ratings category (and this particular episode would have easily been a flat PG). Clearly we can't hope to adhere to everyone's sensibilities, but we aren't exactly Zero Punctuation, either.

At any rate, we do appreciate the feedback, and if you'd like to see some more "professional" takes on the same kind of show I'd advise you to look back into the video archive for this series.

-m
Yes you can ask and yes it was. Which is what I usually do to gauge new content at a site that I'm unfamiliar with. I believe that is what many consumers do when they are trying to decide on what to buy as part of their hobby. I am off of work injured right now and specifically came here looking for the lost gems that I've only found through other gamers before. Examples: Nights, Of Light and Darkness, beyond Good and Evil, My World My way, you know, the games that don't get a lot of press or that the jaded press thinks were terrible but actually gave me a lot of fun.

So for your information as well as that of your advertisers in spite of anything that I have said about the escapist (where I come from, as well as you apparently, it's okay to disagree about stuff sometimes.) This site is still directly responsible for the sale of four new games. No they were not bought used. Yes that's due to one of the shows I've seen here. I guess Movie Bob gets the credit for that (and yes they were bought from an independent store)
even though speaking of content I don't agree with his either. That doesn't mean that I don't think you and he have a LOT of things right.

Those games were: BlazBlue Continuum Shift, Enslaved Journey to the West, Castlevania Lord of Shadows, and Darksiders. So far all are WELL worth the purchase price. So in the interest of full disclosure I may not have liked the tone of the billboard but that sure didn't make it any less effective.

As far as for offensive content I don't know maybe you're right. No one else seems to mind maybe I just need to admit that as per usual I expect too much. I think that what scares me is how much some of this stuff grosses me out and then I wonder about the twelve year old that's watching it too. The format I would like to see would be the hosts getting as much information about as many games as possible and then just let the humor organically come from a group of friends researching and talking about a hobby they love. I think a lot of why I don't like most of these shows is the negativity. Here are people who truly love this hobby, now watch them rip on it for a half hour. Sometimes that's really what it feels like, and if you happen to be someone who is loving your hobby as per ususal, that can be a little off putting.

Yes I know you're not Zero Punctuation, not even close, I hope I wasn't implying that. Sweet god I couldn't even make it through the second review and he HATED one of the games that I'm now playing and think is great. (Enslaved Journey to the West) Really great. Like "I would have been ticked had I put this decision in the hands of a critic." great.

Also, by professional I didn't mean that as a dig I meant it literally. Usually in advertising there isn't a lot of over the top language or innuendo. It's just seen as professional. That's what I meant.

Your profession is to help sell games, you did that, I wasn't trying to imply that you don't do a good job.

I appologize if this was too long but finally I did want to say Thank You sincerely for taking my post seriously and since I am laid up I will check the earlier episodes and if you want, give my opinion. If not I can just shut up too. It's obvious you've gotten my point and now know that some of us would like more "general" content. It would be helpful if you could maybe provide links to ones you feel are relevant? There's quite a backlog and yes I have time now but like I said um, you guys just helped me pick four GREAT games?

Oh. An' no one at Disney or Square could come up with Digital Dream Dance? Heck that even SOUNDS like something that was voted on by the Mickey Mouse Club!

Matt_LRR

Unequivocal Fan Favorite
Nov 30, 2009
mikev7.0 said:
Yes you can ask and yes it was. Which is what I usually do to gauge new content at a site that I'm unfamiliar with. I believe that is what many consumers do when they are trying to decide on what to buy as part of their hobby. I am off of work injured right now and specifically came here looking for the lost gems that I've only found through other gamers before. Examples: Nights, Of Light and Darkness, beyond Good and Evil, My World My way, you know, the games that don't get a lot of press or that the jaded press thinks were terrible but actually gave me a lot of fun.

So for your information as well as that of your advertisers in spite of anything that I have said about the escapist (where I come from, as well as you apparently, it's okay to disagree about stuff sometimes.) This site is still directly responsible for the sale of four new games. No they were not bought used. Yes that's due to one of the shows I've seen here. I guess Movie Bob gets the credit for that (and yes they were bought from an independent store)
even though speaking of content I don't agree with his either. That doesn't mean that I don't think you and he have a LOT of things right.

Those games were: BlazBlue Continuum Shift, Enslaved Journey to the West, Castlevania Lord of Shadows, and Darksiders. So far all are WELL worth the purchase price. So in the interest of full disclosure I may not have liked the tone of the billboard but that sure didn't make it any less effective.
Just for the record - we (being loadingredyrun) don't make any of our content
with an eye to selling games. I can't speak for the other content creators on the site, but certainly our videos are made strictly for the purpposes of entertainment. We don't see a dollar from games we feature or make fun of in our videos. So while we do mention games by name, it's not with any intent to sell you a copy of it. These videos we produce are intended to be entertainment, not (per se) informational, and certainly not advertisements.

mikev7.0 said:
As far as for offensive content I don't know maybe you're right. No one else seems to mind maybe I just need to admit that as per usual I expect too much. I think that what scares me is how much some of this stuff grosses me out and then I wonder about the twelve year old that's watching it too.
I'm curious as to what you would have found objectionable or capable of 'grossing you out' in this particular episode. There were four instances of mild language, but otherwise this was a pretty straightforward, informal, and mostly good natured send up of current industry news. I can't think of any example of innuendo or other even borderline offensive content, and I rewatched it to be sure.

mikev7.0 said:
The format I would like to see would be the hosts getting as much information about as many games as possible and then just let the humor organically come from a group of friends researching and talking about a hobby they love. I think a lot of why I don't like most of these shows is the negativity. Here are people who truly love this hobby, now watch them rip on it for a half hour. Sometimes that's really what it feels like, and if you happen to be someone who is loving your hobby as per ususal, that can be a little off putting.
We make fun of the industry - but we do it because it's something we enjoy. It's not a 6 minute long hate-on for how terrible the industry is. As I noted this isn't a series intended to sell you a game - it's intended to highlight and poke fun at the absurdities of videogame marketing and development. Ours is a great industry, but it gets very up itself sometimes, and can use some deflation of it's own ego. We're taking about an industry of playthings - big budget, multi-billion dollar playthings, but playthings none the less. The emperor sometimes needs to be told that he's not wearing any clothes.

mikev7.0 said:
Yes I know you're not Zero Punctuation, not even close, I hope I wasn't implying that. Sweet god I couldn't even make it through the second review and he HATED one of the games that I'm now playing and think is great. (Enslaved Journey to the West) Really great. Like "I would have been ticked had I put this decision in the hands of a critic." great.
Yahtzee does his thing for much the same reason we do - he harshly criticizes games with an eye to making games better. No matter how brilliant and excellent a game it - it's never perfect. ZP as a show is about identifying the failings, the clichees and the tropes that turn up in even the best games so that the industry is made aware of where they can improve. As customers, of a developing industry, we owe it to the developers, and to ourselves to be discerning and critical if we want to see the industry continue to innovate.

mikev7.0 said:
Also, by professional I didn't mean that as a dig I meant it literally. Usually in advertising there isn't a lot of over the top language or innuendo. It's just seen as professional. That's what I meant.

Your profession is to help sell games, you did that, I wasn't trying to imply that you don't do a good job.
We're entertainers, not advertisers.

mikev7.0 said:
I appologize if this was too long but finally I did want to say Thank You sincerely for taking my post seriously and since I am laid up I will check the earlier episodes and if you want, give my opinion. If not I can just shut up too. It's obvious you've gotten my point and now know that some of us would like more "general" content. It would be helpful if you could maybe provide links to ones you feel are relevant? There's quite a backlog and yes I have time now but like I said um, you guys just helped me pick four GREAT games?
I don't really have abny specific suggestions, especially insofar as content is concerned. As I said before, our writing is PG, PG-13 targeted, and if you're having difficulty with the suitability of content written about the absurdities of video-game news, I'm probably not going to be able to point you at something you'll find more suitable.

As far as more formal presentation is concerned, the earliest ENN videos are where you want to look.

Thanks for the feedback.

-m

Lady Kathleen

Space Cowboy
Oct 8, 2009
9Darksoul6 said:
@ ENN
If you're sticking with sketchy-humor instead of improv-humor (like I thought you were trying to do) what's the point of doing News Room?
Saving money?
(what was the other show's budget, anyway? 50 bucks?)
The point is to find a format where we discuss the news, give it the lambasting it generally deserves and in a manner that the majority of escapist users find enjoyable and want to view.

The Newsrooms ostensibly costs more than Classic ENN due to the amount of time we need to put into it.

mikev7.0

Jan 25, 2011
Lady Kathleen said:
mikev7.0 said:
Then may I suggest a more professional format? With all due respect it's funny to me that you complain about the Dead Space 2 ad campaign (the same as I do) but even though you know your audience (and the fact that many are not 18) you do not temper your content to help parents out a bit.
The Escapist and our series aren't aimed at children. From the other content and the level of complexity in the content writing, it's clear to see the Escapist is not producing content for children or young families.

mikev7.0 said:

We actually have produced a lot of content that would fit your definition of 'humorous with creativity rather than swearing and poor taste'. However, if you were to look through our archives to find it, I would first filter out all the videos I've written/co-written.
Here's a list. Don't watch anything on it.
http://wiki.loadingreadyrun.com/index.php/Kathleen_De_Vere_Filmography#Writing
Yes I know that your goal is not currently to produce content for children and young families. I was just saying that as a consumer I think there is a place for that content and that it might be a niche you could look at exploiting since no one else (that I can find) is.

Your post confused me at first. Sorry, but I'm retarded. Literally. This post and the one I made before? Yeah that only took like five times. Maybe that explains another reason the swearing and inuendo don't appeal to me. I actually don't get like 7/10th of the sarcastic, angsty, dark humor that is so popular these days. I think it's just too deep for me. I just have differnt tastes I suppose? (Than most of the known civilized world)

Also to overcome my stutter I joined Toastmasters and they have a very strict "no swearing or sexual content" policy so maybe I'm just indoctrinated. Like I said in my other reply, maybe I'm the one who's wrong. Maybe I just want too much. I just don't think civility is asking for too much. Also I hope that you would admit for an "otherwise abled" person like me, it keeps it basic enough so that I can take part too without having to dive for my thesaurus whenever someone feels like going Dennis Miller on the more subtle artistic points of Sonic the Hedgehog.

For what it's worth? I couldn't imagine doing what you guys do. Trying to help people pick the good stuff and give honest critique withOUT tickin' someone off? Have fun with that Gunga Din.... The reason I can't do it is because everything I like most other people think is terrible. Especially the critics. Ever heard of Road to El Dorado? Yup. I think that's the best movie ever made. So you see my point.

So I'm really not trying to imply disrespect or that you don't do your jobs. I showed in my above post that you literally DO. Apparently about four times better than any of the bean counters would have guessed I'll bet.

Anyway your post confused me, I thought it was a list of films TO watch so I did and it was exactly what I had been asking if you had! Not only that but in terms of being creative and constructive it was excellent, particularly the "this just in from the 18th century" bit. That was great! So now I'm even more confused. Why do you not want me to watch the shows that are exactly the type of content that I was looking for but didn't think the escapist had?

Lady Kathleen

Space Cowboy
Oct 8, 2009
mikev7.0 said:
Anyway your post confused me, I thought it was a list of films TO watch so I did and it was exactly what I had been asking if you had! Not only that but in terms of being creative and constructive it was excellent, particularly the "this just in from the 18th century" bit. That was great! So now I'm even more confused. Why do you not want me to watch the shows that are exactly the type of content that I was looking for but didn't think the escapist had?
I'm glad you liked our content!

Since you are looking for more 'gentle' humour, I felt it was fair to warn you that videos I've written/co-written is particularly known among our fans for being consistently more 'edgy' and 'adult' in tone than some of our other videos. The common comment is "ah, I knew this was a Kathleen video!"

I was hoping to point you in the direction of some videos you would enjoy, without steering you towards videos you would find offensive.

mikev7.0

Jan 25, 2011
Lady Kathleen said:
mikev7.0 said:
I'm glad you liked our content!

Since you are looking for more 'gentle' humour, I felt it was fair to warn you that videos I've written/co-written is particularly known among our fans for being consistently more 'edgy' and 'adult' in tone than some of our other videos. The common comment is "ah, I knew this was a Kathleen video!"

I was hoping to point you in the direction of some videos you would enjoy, without steering you towards videos you would find offensive.
Yep. I finally figured it out. Now that I've seen both, it's just one guy's opinion, but I really like the general stuff better. So since you can do both equally well may I ask why you prefer the 'edgy' and 'adult' stuff more? Actually I've wondered for quite a while why artists seem to prefer it more in general.

kozmo

Mar 1, 2009
really nice episode.

i missed my chace to comment on this new forum of the show last week, so i would like to now,
this is a very interesting new method and it works really well. not to say that the older way didn't work well, just that this seems better,but although i think that even though this seems to work better in many ways, I simply miss the older way. maybe i just got used to it.

anyway, great episode again

and I like the new way you came up with

archabaddon

Jan 8, 2007
Still liking the ENNN :)

That news re: the next Kingdom Hearts game, while unsurprising given the ridiculous names of other titles in the serious, was certainly news to me. The name was deserving of the ridicule which it received.

o_O

Jul 19, 2009
Oh crap. I thought this was gonna be a special type of thing that happens every now and again. The "behind the scenes" look just has that kinda feel to me. Not a regular show, but a special. Like DVD commentaries or something.

You all are still doing a good job with each individual sketch if not the "feel" of the series at least. :p

Vezi

May 31, 2009
Rated S for Shit.

ROFL My innards hurt after having my appendix out and I can't stop laughing. Damn you Enn!

funkzillabot

Dec 10, 2009
I like this new way of doing the ENN videos. Why were people complaining about it? I can see all of you very clearly, and it's funny as hell. You guys are just... funny. That's why I watch you.

Drejer43

Nov 18, 2009
wait what 1000 dollars?
but games and consoles already cost the double were I live, of what they sell it for in U.S
does this mean that the new psp will cost 2000 USD?
(I am not kidding when the ps3 first came out if would cost 914,23 USD were I live)

SamElliot'sMustache

Oct 5, 2009
Telperion said:
Your Mom Hates Dead Space 2 - Behind the Scenes [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtAdjrvD0bY]

Brilliant! In a way, which makes me want to shake my head with disapproval.
Watching that crushed my soul.

"The theory [that if moms hate it, it must e cool] was proven correct." Really? I'd like to challenge EA's experiment. Did they show the moms anything that was verifiably cool, like say, Enter the Dragon, and get the same reaction? How about Big Trouble in Little China? Prince of Persia: Sands of Time (game, not the movie)? Did you, EA?

"It's everything you love in a game, and your mom's gonna hate it." [has to puke]BLAAAAAAAAAARGHHHHHHHHHHHH![/puke] *Ahem*, excuse me. Ah, EA, once again, you make unverifiable claims. How do you know what I love in a game? Hell, just based on the marketing alone, Dead Space 2 has nothing that I love in a game, and most of the stuff that I'm more or less indifferent to, coupled with a shitty ad campaign that I hate. As for my mom, well, I can't say she would absolutely love it, but I'd say she'd be indifferent to it. Then again, I'm not 12, and actually have taste.

tbksurfshop

Mar 24, 2010
Just in case anybody here does not go to LRR's official website (loadingreadyrun.com) I figured I'd post this here:

http://loadingreadyrun.com/blog/?p=2178

In short, ENN is dead. :(

For full details, read the full post.

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
I just noticed something.. The riffing about "Dream Drop Distance".. Kathleen, not sure if you're aware, but you guys have a series called Daily Drop. COINCIDENCE!? :O

Warachia said:
I still don't like this new style, it seems lazy compared to the others.

Also, you guys REALLY seem to be running on fumes.
Then you obviously don't like Phailhaus. I love this round-table riffing format of comedy. That's what it is. It's comedy. About games and pop culture stuff. It's not supposed to be completely serious and/or actual news reporting. That's what the writing journalists like John Funk and such are there for.

Gsteve

Nov 4, 2010
Man, Jeremy has the best word jokes. First the aged man in a queue drinking tea, and now Dissonant and Demented Diction.

markt1964

Sep 2, 2010
Aw, damn...

There were three series that I really liked and religiously viewed when I first heard of the Escapist - I Hit it with my Axe, Doraleus and Associates, and ENN.

Now, all three are gone.

I don't mean to come across as being someone who feels entitled... I'm just really, really sad about this. I feel like my last friend who lives close to me just died.

MBE

Jul 1, 2009
Vault Citizen said:
Is there any chance we can sacrifice Daily Drop to the pagan Gods to ressurect ENN?
I concur. Daily Drop is crap. It's based on a Letterman bit two decades ago (or more). Once you drop a crock of napalm off a four-story tower, followed by a couple bushels of watermelon, and now you're dropping spare change, you're pretty much done with the meme.

Bring back ENN!

Graham_LRR

Nov 13, 2008
Well I'm genuinely annoyed that ENN is toast (and that I'm only finding out now). It was the best thing happening at The Escapist. Boo. Boo, I say!

Price0331

Mar 8, 2009
MBE said:
Vault Citizen said:
Is there any chance we can sacrifice Daily Drop to the pagan Gods to ressurect ENN?
I concur. Daily Drop is crap. It's based on a Letterman bit two decades ago (or more). Once you drop a crock of napalm off a four-story tower, followed by a couple bushels of watermelon, and now you're dropping spare change, you're pretty much done with the meme.

Bring back ENN!

/agree

punipunipyo

Jan 20, 2011
Don't cancel ENN, I LOVE ENN over Punctuation! Really!~ infect, sometimes over even LRR! because the nature of this website, being a game review/interview/previews mag, ENN is more game related than other LRR team does, not that I don't enjoy other programs, but I just simply enjoy ENN more!

Really, it's ok to show the same episode/topic/title twice, just do it in a ENNN, then follow by an episode of ENN the next week, that way we get ENN(N) every week! (by that I mean week one, ENNN; beta, planing, maybe even NGs! Week two, actual ENN complete, with the same topic as last week's beta) there, 2 weeks project, but 2 vids, and EVERYONE IS HAPPY!~....assumed that you guys are still "fire"(passionate) about making ENNs, because we can't wait to see then next episode! (next to "extra credit")

Da_Vane

Dec 31, 2007
This blows - ENN was, without a doubt, my favourite series on the Escapist. Although I love Yahtzee's Zero Punctuation, Extra Credits, and the crew's own Loading Ready Run, ENN really hit the spot for me. Now it's gone!?

Screw entitlement - I'm really beginning to think that the Escapist has no idea what is actually worth keeping on and what isn't, and this shows it. As it is, it seems the Escapist is really losing it's edge...

I wasn't a fan of the new format of ENN, but I'd be perfectly fine with them going bi-weekly, since this would give them twice the amount of news to joke about, so they can actually choose the best bits. They could even have the Newsdesk as "behind the scenes" footage - it always seemed unfinished to me.

Please come back, ENN. Otherwise, I'm seriously going to have to think about whether it's worth hanging around the Escapist any more. What's next to get the axe - I used to visit here daily with something new worth viewing. Now...

Lillowh

Oct 22, 2007
Wow. This is sad. I was wondering why the Escapist was beginning to feel shitty. Then I realized there hasn't been ENN for a while. I like how that piece of crap Game Dogs stayed for two seasons (thank god you put it out of it's misery), now this is gone? What absolute crap.

Vohn_exel

Residential Idiot
Oct 24, 2008
I just saw this. I know I'm late to the train but I really hate to see ENN go. I didn't find the new style to be anything like Phailhaus, and I enjoyed the previous style better, but I did enjoy watching ENN regardless. It's good that the crew have more time for their other probjects now, but I will miss ENN. So long as LRR and Unskippable keep airing, I'll be ok for my LRRfix with bonuses, Phailhauses and Crapshots. (Firefox has mentioned to me just now that none of those titles are actual words.) I'll miss ENN, ya'll made me laugh with the ones you had, but I know the LRR team isn't done here. I can't wait to see what you cook up next :D

MatthewGeer

Just some guy, you know?
Nov 21, 2010
Looks like ENN has been resurrected over on Penny Arcade as "Checkpoint." Congrats, LRR.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/checkpoint/101/

Da_Vane

Dec 31, 2007
MatthewGeer said:
Looks like ENN has been resurrected over on Penny Arcade as "Checkpoint." Congrats, LRR.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/checkpoint/101/
Dammit, and I was just about to post the link myself to highlight the good news...

I second the Congrats to the LRR team!

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
I spent the day rewatching all of the ENN eps // I has the sad again // There are a few key differences between this and Checkpoint and I feel that this show was better // The back and forth banter between Graham and Kat after the lights go off it one of them but saying that I can never get enough LRR stuff so I''m glad Checkpoint is around

-M