Escapist News Now: Dark Souls 2 DLC The Lost Crowns Trilogy Announced

Escapist News Now

May 10, 2013
Dark Souls 2 DLC The Lost Crowns Trilogy Announced

What the hell From Software, is that those annoying poison spitting statues moving around now?

Watch Video

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
After seeing that you'll be venturing to an icy area, I was immediately on board. Maybe it's being Canadian that does it, but I just love exploring snowy and icy places in games.

garjian

Mar 25, 2009
What I want to say is, "I hope they introduce some interesting, yet balanced, new weapons. I think I saw a different dual-wield animation... swinging horizontally with two maces so here's hoping.".
I can't say that though, because the PvP is still so broken... Armour values, GMB and if possible, lag compensation all need fixing.
I started getting the same vibe from 2 that I got from 1 in PvP, everybody using the same thing and glitch abuse, only now getting orbs is also a pain.

I want to be on board with this, but I don't trust the PvE content anymore and no amount of content is going to fix PvP, unless there's an infusion/resin that bypasses a % of armour and a spell that removes buffs.
Ihhh... :/

StHubi

Jan 15, 2010
I liked DS2, but when I finished it... Hm... It was not as satisfying as Part I and now I am not even looking forward to this DLCs. Probably I will not play them.

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
"Hey" Says From Software "You know that statue that shoots poison at you and is the most annoying thing ever? I just gave it legs! Enjoy! :D"

Love you too, From Software...

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Well done, escapist. I have never watched one of these videos in all the years I've been on this site. You have finally made one, and didn't include an article at all, that made me go, "Oh! I need to watch that!" You got me...

Yay! I hope there are some trophies this time, but if not, this is the one type of game where I would not care. I love Dark Souls and Dark Souls II, and I've been waiting for them to announce something for II. I knew there had to be something in the works. I wonder if we'll finally get to meet the younger version of The Emerald Herald, via time travel like in Dark Souls. Looking forward to seeing how these all play out.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Oh great, none of those areas made me want to visit them...ok the ice one but that's it. I still don't understand what the Old Iron King is doing there, plus I already got a King's Crown. Why are there four of them? I recall Vendrick only having one head.

I want to ***** about this just because I really don't feel like paying for this DLC. I beat the game on accident and it was so anti-climactic either way. I'm really not seeing this DLC as worth it. I might not even finish NG+. Not that it isn't fun, it's just I never upgraded past the Drangleic Sword +5, I didn't need to. Also it seems like a lot of money for what I'm assuming are going to be three very short installments. Plus I feel like they should have included a pass for the collectors edition, which was expensive enough.

I guess I'll just sit back and watch Seamus tackle it on Youtube.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
garjian said:
I can't say that though, because the PvP is still so broken... Armour values, GMB and if possible, lag compensation all need fixing.
I started getting the same vibe from 2 that I got from 1 in PvP, everybody using the same thing and glitch abuse, only now getting orbs is also a pain.

I want to be on board with this, but I don't trust the PvE content anymore and no amount of content is going to fix PvP, unless there's an infusion/resin that bypasses a % of armour and a spell that removes buffs.
Ihhh... :/
Honestly, the balance can only get worse with the DLC. Just look at what happened with AotA getting released: great pve content, yet the new gizmos alone broke a lot, requiring a whopping 2 patches.
Only this time we're getting THREE new huge trucks of content. We're gonna need more than 5 patches me thinks....

And i'm with you too. Game is far too imbalanced, latency for these "dedicated servers" is still bad, and pve is hilariously null compared to Dark 1. Yet, Soul Memory still being a thing is what will make it or break it for me. Either SM goes, or I do. The Project Beast hype train looks cleaner anyways.

OT: The weird Aztec ruins look awesome. But... that icy tundra. YES the snow advertised in the first Dks2 railer that we were lied to about is there!
Praise the Snow \[T]/

Now if only Dks2 was as good as Dks1... and had a more reasonable price than $30 a whole jumble of DLC... and I can already predict the bosses won't be interesting because lol B Team.

So as much as I the ice chapter looks cool as sh*t, this'll have to be a pass for me.
I'll just wait to see what the Big M has in store for E3.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
JagermanXcell said:
Honestly, the balance can only get worse with the DLC. Just look at what happened with AotA getting released: great pve content, yet the new gizmos alone broke a lot, requiring a whopping 2 patches.
Only this time we're getting THREE new huge trucks of content. We're gonna need more than 5 patches me thinks....
If the DLC is any bit as good as AotA, I'll be happy to buy it. Some of the best boss fights were found in there. Liked my dark version of the combustion spell to break some turtlers' guards too :)

And I can't say I can complain much about DS2 PvP. I've ran into a few guys that used lag for bullshit (one was REALLY obvious, lagging for like 10 seconds, then appearing behind me for a backstab from a mile away), but it can't even compare to the amount of cheaters I came across in DS1 (76k bleeds ho!). Weird backstabs also seem to be a bit more rare, though they're still there.

The only complaint imo is Brotherhood of Blood. For one, leveling in the covenant being done solely through the Arena makes zero sense. Being able to lose points makes a bit more sense, but is still mostly bullshit. But not having an item to readily invade with is insane. Even the Cracked Eye Orbs are only available in NG+ and cost 10k souls. Don't get me wrong, souls are mostly easy to get, but 10k per Orb? That's just silly.

It results in there not being any invasions in NG. I've ran through the whole game and saw maybe 1-3 invaders in total, outside the bell towers of course. Now, while I sometimes found those invasions a bit annoying (you know, those "man, I'm 10 feet from the next bonfire, fuck off!"), it's very much a lesser experience not having any invasions until NG+ (or until you start invading like crazy yourself - I'm having a lot of fun chopping up Sentinels now).

Xdeser2

Aug 11, 2012
Nice! Loved Dark Souls 2, looks like my next NG+ will have some new content. Hope its as good as Artorias of the Abyss was.

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
So... I thought From Software had been bought out recently? Did the Dark Souls IP go with them then?

Anyway, looks good... but I don't even have DS2 yet, so I'll probably be waiting for the GOTY version (because you know there's going to be one).

slysean

Jul 16, 2012
I like the idea of more Dark Souls, but the idea of shelling out $30 bucks for 3 new areas after they promised that Dark Souls 2 was a completed experience. If these were coming out later I could understand, but the fact that these are coming out so early either mean that they were rushed out upon the success of Dark Souls 2 or they cut assets out of the original game. Either way, I can't help but feel wary.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
slysean said:
I like the idea of more Dark Souls, but the idea of shelling out $30 bucks for 3 new areas after they promised that Dark Souls 2 was a completed experience. If these were coming out later I could understand, but the fact that these are coming out so early either mean that they were rushed out upon the success of Dark Souls 2 or they cut assets out of the original game. Either way, I can't help but feel wary.
As i recall they said they weren't planning for any DLC, but admitted they'd make it if the fans wanted it. I'd there's demand for more content.

Also the vid stated the bundle for all packs is 25 bucks. Small comfort i know, but the Artorias of the Abyss DLC was pretty damn excellent from a PvE standpoint (What it did to the PvP is a whole different story) so i'll hazard a guess and say it's probably worth it.

But yes... if they cut assets from the original game (which seems likely considering there was stuff present on the disc that we never saw in the game) that's kind of a dick move. Sorta sours the whole, but i'll probably still buy it if only 'cause it's more Dark Souls.
EHKOS said:
Oh great, none of those areas made me want to visit them...ok the ice one but that's it. I still don't understand what the Old Iron King is doing there, plus I already got a King's Crown. Why are there four of them? I recall Vendrick only having one head.
Well it sounded from the names of the DLC's that they'd be different kings. I mean the Old Iron King was the dude waist-deep in lava, right? If not and they all did belong to Vendrick perhaps he was one of those douchebag kings with one crown for each season or something.

Burchy22

Oct 1, 2012
Well if all three have the quality of AotA then I consider it worth it.
Problem is that AotA set a high standard with large area, interesting enemies, awesome bosses and deepening the lore, which I just have trouble believing this B team can handle.

One of best things about AotA? How much it improved the lore of the overall game. One of the worst things about Dark souls 2? The half ass lore. So take this chance to fix your shitty lore Dark souls 2!

joest01

Apr 15, 2009
AotA was by far the best thing about DkS1. By that of course I mean the bosses. They were leaps and bounds better than those in the main game. DkS2 does not have that problem. It has decent bosses. And it's lore, while interesting is already convoluted as hell. But, hey, I'll bite. Thing is I'm not really one for mutliple toons and playing through Artorias in NG++ was a great but taxing experience :) And ya, I'm in NG++ here too ...

btw, to the pvp haters, the latest patch is a big step in the right direction!

grey_space

Magnetic Mutant
Apr 16, 2012
Like the new newscaster He's funny. Haven't seen him before.

OT, Those spitting statues...ugh to the max. You don't know how long I was figuring out that it was them that was constantly poisoning me.

I'll probably wait till the game of the year edition but the extra level still look pretty cool.

Dec 16, 2009
i wonder if we'll be able to buy the individual episodes? all i can see on steam is the 3 episode season pass. not really a season pass if its the only way to get DLC, is it?

Alarien

Feb 9, 2010
I think the season pass is in anticipation of the DLC. The actual individual DLC's should be available when they are released, which will likely be some time off.

If they are half the expansion AotA was, then they'll be worth it.