Escapist News Now: Darth Maul Star Wars Game Leaked

Escapist News Now

May 10, 2013
Darth Maul Star Wars Game Leaked

A Star Wars game starring the villain from Phantom Menace was in production once upon a time according to a report from Game Informer.

Watch Video

InsanityRequiem

Nov 9, 2009
Not only a Darth Maul, but a Mandalorian genocide game? Daaaamn, George Lucas was more crazy than I thought. :| I would have played that, definitely.

grey_space

Magnetic Mutant
Apr 16, 2012
Only goes to prove to me once again that George Lucas about 50% of the time, is barely a functioning retard.

His ideas remind me of the Targaryens;

As in very time he has one the Gods flip a coin; and either it's absolutely brilliant or absolutely batshit insane.

Darth Maul buddy cop indeed.

Edit: Spelling

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Wait, isn't Darth Talon a character from the Legacy era of the Expanded Universe? As in, the period of time 100+ years after Return of the Jedi? Unless Zabraks are capable of living for hundreds of years like Wookiees and Yoda's species (and I haven't run across any info that confirms this) wouldn't Maul be dead by then?

Oh George, you so silly.

exobook

Sep 28, 2011
Neverhoodian said:
Wait, isn't Darth Talon a character from the Legacy era of the Expanded Universe? As in, the period of time 100+ years after Return of the Jedi? Unless Zabraks are capable of living for hundreds of years like Wookiees and Yoda's species (and I haven't run across any info that confirms this) wouldn't Maul be dead by then?

Oh George, you so silly.
to be fair Darth Maul have been cloned about 3 times I think in the expanded continuity so it could work from that point. I admit I don't know much about Darth Talon's personality but it could have been a story with a lot of humour in the form of a fish out of water super serious straight man Darth Maul with the less serious Darth Talon (If this is not her character please forgive me). Though I admit that it would still likely look ridicules.

But it more likely shows how little specific knowledge Lucas has of the expanded universe. Then again given how big it is that is unsurprising.

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
Micah Weil said:
...I can hear Darth Maul uttering "I'm getting too old for this shit"...
You mean: "I'm getting too old for this Sith."

Lucas is a moron.

Dinosorcerer

Sep 5, 2013
there was a Boba Fett game in the works( already a lazy stab for nostalgia) and they scrapped that only to make something with even less promise. i will never understand these people

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
Dinosorcerer said:
there was a Boba Fett game in the works( already a lazy stab for nostalgia) and they scrapped that only to make something with even less promise. i will never understand these people
Give credit where credit is due; George Lucas said to these people "I want to make it a buddy cop game," and they said "We'd rather not make it at all."

Dinosorcerer

Sep 5, 2013
tdylan said:
Dinosorcerer said:
Give credit where credit is due; George Lucas said to these people "I want to make it a buddy cop game," and they said "We'd rather not make it at all."
the issue isn't whether they want to make it or not. all that proves is that they don't have a strong enough will to act on their own convictions. they're either spineless or stupid (maybe both). and i'm not sure which quality i like less.

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
Dinosorcerer said:
tdylan said:
Dinosorcerer said:
the issue isn't whether they want to make it or not. all that proves is that they don't have a strong enough will to act on their own convictions. they're either spineless or stupid (maybe both). and i'm not sure which quality i like less.
I think all the proves (or perhaps "proved." Lucas sold Star Wars to Disney. I don't know if that includes the games as well) is that they couldn't make a Star Wars game without George signing off on it, and the game George wanted to sign off on sounded ridiculous. There was a developer diary type video when the force unleashed was being released about how they had to go to Lucas in order to have the story approved because it was to be canon, and they couldn't write anything into canon without his "say so."

InvisibleMan

Mar 26, 2009
I, for one, really hope someone does something with that idea for the Wii U? The footage looks way cool, and the Wii U needs a cool Star Wars franchise game!

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
I would've loved to play as Maul. The fact he was going up against Death Watch was cool. Before George butted in on the development and said it had to include Darth Talon, what time period was this game supposed to take place in? Since he was fighting the Death Watch, I immediatly thought the Clone Wars. After all, in Season 5, Sidious didn't kill Maul and said he had other plans for him. I figured that could've given, what's his name...Dave Filoni, and his team a chance to answer a couple of unanswered questions in the series. Maybe even hinting a bit at what happens to Ahsoka after she leaves the order.

Other Star Wars characters I'd like to see get their own games would be General Grievous and Ahsoka.

keroko

Nov 9, 2010
Dunno, this sounds like an hoax to me. The Mandalorians in the armor wielding those black lightsabers? Those are modelled after Pre Vizla, a Clone Wars character that didn't exist until 2010. Add to this that Lucas doesn't know jack squat about the Star Wars EU, which makes him asking specifically for an EU character to be bundled in this buddy-cop experience rather strange.

Looks more like a TFU mod that people figured they could use to troll the internet with.