Escapist News Now: Fans Petition Microsoft For DRM

Mr_Terrific

Oct 29, 2011
I am so sick of my rights. Heading over to sign them back to MS because I love corporate bullshit. I love paying more for an inferior console + motion gimmick. I love the fact that no one at MS knows what it's like on a nuclear sub. I miss all that and want it back.

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
I don't see how the family sharing features and "never" needing a disc anymore is worth binding yourself to some online server that lets be fair.. will be off line for a few days. In what your console has turned into a paperweight!

Or a fancy DVD player at most....

Even if you have a lovely perfect internet connection at home and it never fails it always gives you <1 ms ping and has the best upload of the world. Even then you are bound to the performance of the server on the other side.. guess what they fail.

Darkspore went dark why again? I mean it is in part a singleplayer game..oh yes the DRM server is dead.

We shouldn't make Singleplayer games act as MMO's and DEFINITELY should have our consoles act like such.

That isn't the path we gamers should go.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
"A new wave of gaming where you could buy games digitally, then trade, share or sell those digital licenses.Essentially, it was Steam for Xbox."

Oh really, so games were often on sale? As in new deals every day? Games normally 50 dollars going for a meager 15?
Yes you could share games on Xbone with restrictions dictated by the publisher: 1 hour demo, no sharing at all, no trading. Also if you have an account and your brother has an account on the SAME Xbone, he CANNOT play your game unless the sharing function is enabled. Yes you have the disc but you have fuck all rights to it.

"Consumers were uninformed and railed against it" No the consumers who are fighting for it are misinformed.

Why are people ASKING for restrictions? Console games have benefits of having the disc and being able to do what you want with it. You already CAN share and rent games, you're restricted with that.

Magmarock

Sep 1, 2011
Whoever thinks that always online for a console is good is probably over privileged and makes far tot much money. Or has really good internet and doesn't think of those who don't.

Also I hope Jimm does as episode on this.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
Rastelin said:
Have a friend who plays on the XBox. He refers to people supporting this as the village idiots.
How Quaint.

OT: The sentence that she read out said some guy thought you could actually trade licenses and share games.
Then he goes on to call everyone else uninformed.
It was later revealed that "sharing" games, only allowed you to give it to a friend for one hour, and after that hour was up, the save was deleted.
Why do I even use the internet....

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Brings up a good point. "At least not before the console is released" My guess is Microsoft is going to wait 'till post Christmas, maybe...March of '14, then BOOM! System wide update that fucks everything up again. I mean why wouldn't they? They obviously thought it was a good idea the first time and only relented when they thought Sony would out sell them. So just reverse the reversal when the console hits the market. What are gamers going to do then? Go back in time and not buy it? Return it? Maybe some, but a lot will just hang their heads in defeat and fork over money.

chiefohara

Sep 4, 2009
Microsoft i would assume has a serious software rewrite on its hands taking all this Gestapo DRM always online crap out, and making the console work without it at the same time at short notice.

why would it do yet another 180 (badoom Tsch) and put it back in before release?

Xbox 360 had red ring of death, why risk another unforeseen hickup with untested firmware issues for the XboxOne?

Agent357

Jul 2, 2013
Griffolion said:
Agent357 said:
Personally, I like Yahtzee's theory about the whole thing.
I don't think I'm aware of this, what is it?
He made a blog on Extra Punctuation (last week, I believe) where he says he (jokingly, of course) suggests that the whole thing is a conspiracy to suppress the mediocrity of both systems.

Mar 30, 2010
Proof that you can lead a horse to water but you can't stop it forcefully drowning itself.

We fought so hard against this, and against all odds Microsoft finally listened, then a bunch of 12 year old brats decided they want their Xmas present no matter what.

-_-

bat32391

Oct 19, 2011
Wow, the level of stupid there is amazing. Anyone who signed that is a goddamn moron. The only thing that drm bullshit is gonna do is fuck people over.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
I honestly think the only people who would
push for this bullshit can be described as below:

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
roushutsu said:
I was under the impression that what people wanted out of all of the stuff that Microsoft cut was the digital sharing stuff, not all the DRM that came attached. Regardless, chalk this up with the hundreds of other internet petitions about video games that go absolutely nowhere.
The most ridiculous thing about all this is that the digital benefits, the sharing and so forth, could easily be done WITHOUT that DRM crap around, even if that weren't the case it still wouldn't be worth it. There really be no reason whatsoever to put these restrictions in at all, regardless of whatever system those digital benefits use. All they have to do is set up digital sharing and so on so that those who both have internet connections and opt in to doing it can use it, no DRM required. Claiming that the DRM is "necessary" for these things to work is just a pathetic attempt by Microsoft to justify putting that useless and invasive crap in, it has no benefit whatsoever to consumers.

Dead Seerius

Feb 4, 2012
You know what I miss most about the "old" Xbox One? Insane region locking that prevented half of the world from even using the console. Because fuck the rest of the planet so long as I get to keep my glorious DRM. Then I'll be happy.

Oh, my apologies. It seems I drifted off into opposite world there for a moment.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
Guys, don't worry. This DRM stands for Drugs and Rim-jobs for Mostly everybody. MS was actually being a lot more generous than we thought. Give 'em a break.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
I'd say something, but I don't think I could possibly do a better job than Angry Joe.

We didn't ask for family sharing to be taken away, we just wanted to keep the rights we've always had.

Silentpony said:
Brings up a good point. "At least not before the console is released" My guess is Microsoft is going to wait 'till post Christmas, maybe...March of '14, then BOOM! System wide update that fucks everything up again. I mean why wouldn't they? They obviously thought it was a good idea the first time and only relented when they thought Sony would out sell them. So just reverse the reversal when the console hits the market. What are gamers going to do then? Go back in time and not buy it? Return it? Maybe some, but a lot will just hang their heads in defeat and fork over money.
I'm pretty sure if they did that Xbox One owners would be morally obligated to form a mob, storm Microsoft and lynch everyone involved[footnote]Just kidding of course, violence is bad.[/footnote] That would be seriously unethical, especially to anyone no longer able to play the console.

Though in reality it'd probably result in some massive lawsuit or something. I'm no legal expert but I can't imagine doing something like that wouldn't violate some consumer rights law or something.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Wait. Is the person who started this petition from Georgia?
Look, guys, that crappy Honey Booboo (or however you spell it) is making us look bad enough. We really don't need this, too.

Yeah, I thought this was a joke at first. But, it's apparently real. And that's a thing. I seriously can't say much more than that. Doesn't affect me, though. I won't have a Xbone.

Arawn said:
I do recall a topic were people were disappointed with losing the game sharing aspect of Xbox One. The details on the library sharing system are stilled debated to some extent. Some claim it's only a demo like trial of said games that you share with friends/family. Others said it's the full game. The former is hardly worth the DRM that accompanied it, and the latter would be unprofitable to MS and game producers. Why would you make a system where you would sell fewer games? I'm at a loss. I'm very curious to have tried the original system just to see what it was truly capable of. Still I say no to the DRM. It's not innovative enough to warrant a loss of control of my games. I guess I don't have much a right to say anything since I'm not going to purchase the revise Xbox One.
You pretty much summed up my opinion on the Family Sharing plan. There was a rumor that it was a one hour demo or something. I heard Microsoft has denied it, but I am not aware if they stated what it was "actually going to be." And honestly, that makes me think it really was going to be a one hour demo. And I really don't see Publishers supporting a system that allows people to play their games for free. That sounds worse than used games. Ten times worse in this case.

Not that I think Used Games are some plague on gaming. But if you do, why would you do what would be far worse?

OlasDAlmighty said:
Silentpony said:
I'm pretty sure if they did that Xbox One owners would be morally obligated to form a mob, storm Microsoft and lynch everyone involved[footnote]Just kidding of course, violence is bad.[/footnote] That would be seriously unethical, especially to anyone no longer able to play the console.

Though in reality it'd probably result in some massive lawsuit or something. I'm no legal expert but I can't imagine doing something like that wouldn't violate some consumer rights law or something.
The sad truth is those people would have no recourse. Odds are the Xbox One terms of use would restrict them from doing any such thing. You can practically guarantee that if someone tried they wouldn't eve get into a court room. For example, Sony had a similar policy that prevented people from suing over the Linux removal. If Microsoft didn't have the same policies in place before, they do now.

How many people actually read those Service Agreements anyway?