Escapist Overwatch Group!

Sep 24, 2008
BloatedGuppy said:
ObsidianJones said:
You both are updated, and Guppy, you were actually suggested to me by Blizzard. Super weird and stuff.
Likely because I already added people if they were already on my Escapist friends list =D

Only Phasmal hasn't gotten back to me. She hates me. :'(
That possibly might be it. You guys are literally the first people I've added on Blizzard, so I have no idea how it works.

Is it the Americas? Does Phasmal hate the Americas? Facts are pointing to that very idea!

I just realized something.

Do we even care about Battleborn? I mean, I have it. I put two hours in it and went "Hmm. Pleasant". Then played the open Beta of Overwatch and it was like having my first kiss again... Only good. And I didn't turn Overwatch into a Lesbian.

Anyone else have that?

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
ObsidianJones said:
Is it the Americas? Does Phasmal hate the Americas? Facts are pointing to that very idea!
Oh shit, is she a Euro? Well then. Filthy Euros! I guess we WON'T be friends!

I kid. I kid the Phasmal.

ObsidianJones said:
Do we even care about Battleborn? I mean, I have it. I put two hours in it and went "Hmm. Pleasant". Then played the open Beta of Overwatch and it was like having my first kiss again... Only good. And I didn't turn Overwatch into a Lesbian.

Anyone else have that?
I can only speak for me, but...no. I only have so much time, and can only care about a few games. Not on my radar.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
BloatedGuppy said:
ObsidianJones said:
Oh shit, is she a Euro? Well then. Filthy Euros! I guess we WON'T be friends!

I kid. I kid the Phasmal.
I didn't realise you can't add people from America! That's total balls, I wanted to play with you guys!

... You guys should all just move. Move here. Come to Britain... we have... Jaffa Cakes? And... Kinder Eggs. Yes.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Phasmal said:
I didn't realise you can't add people from America! That's total balls, I wanted to play with you guys!

... You guys should all just move. Move here. Come to Britain... we have... Jaffa Cakes? And... Kinder Eggs. Yes.
For real? That's crazy. It let me send off a friend request for you. It didn't bounce it back or anything. I wonder if it just lied to me, or if I'm trying to befriend some random Phasmal.

Oh well. We'll just be off here in the colonies having the time of our lives.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
BloatedGuppy said:
Phasmal said:

For real? That's crazy. It let me send off a friend request for you. It didn't bounce it back or anything. I wonder if it just lied to me, or if I'm trying to befriend some random Phasmal.

Oh well. We'll just be off here in the colonies having the time of our lives.
Could be. I just sent one back, let me know if you get it, otherwise it looks like we're forever separated by an ocean. Tragic.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Phasmal said:
Could be. I just sent one back, let me know if you get it, otherwise it looks like we're forever separated by an ocean. Tragic.
I managed to friend-up with Zhukov, and that ************ lives in Australia, so let's hope so.

Whether or not you'll get acceptable latency to the Americas servers is another question entirely of course. I tried to play DOTA2 with Dopo some time ago, and whoever was playing on their non-regional server got a lovely 200+ ping bump.

Sep 24, 2008
aegix drakan said:
-Quoted for Discord knowledge-
Phasmal said:
-Quoted for Yay! You're not ignoring us!
BloatedGuppy said:
-Quoted because I can... and yeah, this semi involves you as well.
Wow. I really didn't know this about Blizzard's Battle.net. That sucks.

I looked up this issue online, and Blizzard just mentioned about Global Play

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/6539

GLOBAL PLAY
Updated: 2 days ago Article ID: 6539
Relevant Games:
Note: Game keys, upgrades, in-game items, game progress, and friend lists are all region-specific and cannot be transferred between regions.

Battle.net Global Play allows you to connect to game servers in regions outside your own, making it easy to play with your friends in other parts of the world. Global Play is available for Diablo III, StarCraft II, Hearthstone, Heroes of the Storm, and Overwatch. By default, you will play in your home region, which is determined by the country of residence registered to your Battle.net account.

GLOBAL PLAY REGIONS

Americas for players in North America, Latin America, South America, Australia, and New Zealand.
Europe for players in the European Union, Eastern Europe, Russia, Africa, and the Middle East.
Asia for players in South Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Macau.
OVERWATCH GLOBAL PLAY

Global Play in Overwatch works differently from our other games. All of your game progress, including unlocked in-game items, remains the same across all regions.

Note: Game key, upgrades, and friend list restrictions still apply.

CHANGING REGIONS

You can switch between regions via the game options menu or Play button in the Battle.net Desktop Application. When you launch the game, you will log in to the selected region.

Note: When your client patches, you will be locked out of any other regions that have not yet received that patch. Once those regions undergo maintenance and patch as well, you will be able to play in those regions.
So, we can play together. I just don't honestly know how we can start matches together. As Aegix Drakan pointed out, there's a Discord app that we can probably use to talk to each other during the game. It also has a friends list.

https://discordapp.com/

https://support.discordapp.com/hc/en-us/articles/217674288-Friends-List-101

As he's the expert in this (as far as he knows probably a lot more about it than I), I think we should get some info from the source on how it works. With that and global play, we should still be able to attack one another.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
ObsidianJones said:
So, we can play together. I just don't honestly know how we can start matches together. As Aegix Drakan pointed out, there's a Discord app that we can probably use to talk to each other during the game. It also has a friends list.
Right...of course. Region swapping. Everyone was region swapping to Americas during the stress test because that was literally the only region available. Of course region swapping is a thing. I have no idea why I didn't think of it before.

So what's Discord? Is it like 2016's version of Ventrilo?

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
BloatedGuppy said:
ObsidianJones said:
Right...of course. Region swapping. Everyone was region swapping to Americas during the stress test because that was literally the only region available. Of course region swapping is a thing. I have no idea why I didn't think of it before.

Yeah, I'm down with the Global Play thing and voice server, if I can figure out how to do it. I assume I can't set it up until the game is out (the region thing).

Jan 27, 2011
BloatedGuppy said:
[
ObsidianJones said:

https://discordapp.com/

https://support.discordapp.com/hc/en-us/articles/217674288-Friends-List-101

As he's the expert in this (as far as he knows probably a lot more about it than I), I think we should get some info from the source on how it works. With that and global play, we should still be able to attack one another.
Honestly, it's not that hard. I've only been using it for about 3 weeks-ish.

If you've ever used Slack before, it's basically like Slack got friend lists and voice chat with voice channels (So if there was an "Escapist" group, it can also have a sub-group/channel just for overwatch)

If you've never used Slack before (and I pity you, it's great for group organization), then Discord is basically a chat app that allows for groups and text and voice chat. It's really awesome.

Also, it can be run from a browser if you don't want to handle it via the app (although the App allows it to push notifications to your desktop and doesn't go down if firefox crashes on you).

I can send group invites, but they only stay up for 24 hours at a time. Also, if you don't have an actual account set up, then you need another invite to get back into the group, if I remember right.
https://discord.gg/011LnVkgfZI6DOZF0

Sep 24, 2008
aegix drakan said:
Honestly, it's not that hard. I've only been using it for about 3 weeks-ish.

If you've ever used Slack before, it's basically like Slack got friend lists and voice chat with voice channels (So if there was an "Escapist" group, it can also have a sub-group/channel just for overwatch)

If you've never used Slack before (and I pity you, it's great for group organization), then Discord is basically a chat app that allows for groups and text and voice chat. It's really awesome.

Also, it can be run from a browser if you don't want to handle it via the app (although the App allows it to push notifications to your desktop and doesn't go down if firefox crashes on you).

I can send group invites, but they only stay up for 24 hours at a time. Also, if you don't have an actual account set up, then you need another invite to get back into the group, if I remember right.
https://discord.gg/011LnVkgfZI6DOZF0
Ok, I just joined up. I'm going to PM you my name.

It does actually look pretty slick.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I can't wait to be disappointed in how horribly average Guppy's voice probably sounds.

Also, Phasmal you're not welsh, right? I know someone on the Escapist who's welsh and I can only understand every other word she says.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Fappy said:
I can't wait to be disappointed in how horribly average Guppy's voice probably sounds.

Also, Phasmal you're not welsh, right? I know someone on the Escapist who's welsh and I can only understand every other word she says.
Nope. English. I've got a pretty BBC-English accent so I'm not hard to understand for Americans (I think), occasionally slipping into somethin' a bit more London every now and then.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Phasmal said:
Fappy said:

Nope. English. I've got a pretty BBC-English accent so I'm not hard to understand for Americans (I think), occasionally slipping into somethin' a bit more London every now and then.
Nah, I don't typically have any issues understanding most English accents. The really thick cockney accent they like to use in movies/TV can be a bit difficult sometimes, but only really when spamming English slang. The again, I've spent enough time online with your countrymen at this point that very few Britishisms go over my head.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Fappy said:
Phasmal said:
Fappy said:

Nah, I don't typically have any issues understanding most English accents. The really thick cockney accent they like to use in movies/TV can be a bit difficult sometimes, but only really when spamming English slang. The again, I've spent enough time online with your countrymen at this point that very few Britishisms go over my head.
Hah, my grandma was a cockney. I find TV cockney to be practically unbearable (also Tracer's cockney oh god). Honestly though when it comes to cockney (especially rhyming slang) a lot of British people don't have a Scooby either. I called some girl at my work a tea leaf and she looked at me like I was nuts.

I'm in the thing if you're gonna come 'ave a butchers. ;)

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Phasmal said:
Well, I lick the pine cone when the moores reach Madrid.

Am I doing it right?

Zaeseled

May 17, 2011
I'll mostly main Reinhardt, but I can play Lucio and Mercy decently if needed. I'm also not against changing classes if the situation calls for it, so I'm a flex player. Zachorias#2527 reporting for duty from Finland.

ManutheBloodedge

Feb 7, 2016
ObsidianJones said:
If you guys still accept recruts, I would like to join. Battle.net: Bloodedge#21469; Server: EU (Germany); flexible player, worst at offense.

I want to get Overwatch, but I don't want to play it on my own.

Sep 24, 2008
Zaeseled said:
-Quoted For Alert-
Welcome aboard, Zaeseled. We have Pie and we have Chat. Pie will take 4 to 6 weeks to arrive, so I recommend getting some chat now with the Discord App [https://discordapp.com/] in our newly minted (Thanks Aegix!) Chat room [https://discord.gg/011LnVkgfZI6DOZF0]

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Fappy said:
Phasmal said:
Well, I lick the pine cone when the moores reach Madrid.

Am I doing it right?

Probably. The important thing is that you say it with confidence and never explain anything.

Discord seems to be a good program to use, I'm all set up on it now. :D