Escapist Podcast: 023: Skyrim, More Skyrim and Buyer's Guide

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
023: Skyrim, More Skyrim and Buyer's Guide

This week, we discuss The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and the effect that bugs and various mods have on the game. We also talk about our Holiday Buyer's Guide, shopping for fellow gamers and answer your questions.

Watch Video

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
Ninja comment (since I obviously haven't listened to the whole podcast yet): I loved Firefly, and I loved the movie.

And I hate Joss Whedon for killing Wash, but anyone who's a fan of Joss saw that coming.

Ramith

Nov 7, 2011
Lisa, a guy who's got lots of ivory is less likely to hurt Stampy than a guy whose ivory supplies are low.

Dont think the rest of the team are as big of fan of the Simpsons as you are.

But it cracks me up when you quote it.

I agree completely when it comes to Skyrim. If they are not lethal bugs, I dont care.

Its also why I have a psychotic amount of saves.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
I think anyone who doesn't automatically believe every corporate PR statement, knew that Skyrim would have problems.
And yes, disappearing apples isn't a problem. I think the people who are seriously pissed at Skyrim are the people who are experiencing chronic crashing and freezing.

And please... let's stop overusing the term "entitlement." And let's start using it correctly.
Example of it being used correctly: Paying $60 for a game "Entitles" you to a game that works.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
GonzoGamer said:
I think anyone who doesn't automatically believe every corporate PR statement, knew that Skyrim would have problems.
And yes, disappearing apples isn't a problem. I think the people who are seriously pissed at Skyrim are the people who are experiencing chronic crashing and freezing.

And please... let's stop overusing the term "entitlement." And let's start using it correctly.
Example of it being used correctly: Paying $60 for a game "Entitles" you to a game that works.
Absolutely true, but some people also have unreasonable expectations as to what else that $60 entitles them to.

Skratt

Dec 20, 2008
My favorite moment in Skyrim will probably always be that time some random guy ran up to me in the wilderness, shoved a magic bow in my pack and said "hold this for me, I'll be back for it. Double cross me and I'll kill you!" and proceeded to run away.

It was such a WTF moment I had to follow him. A naked guy showed up several moments later looking for a thief that stole his stuff. So, I gave him the bow back and proceeded to watch him run down the beach of the frozen north of skyrim in nothing but a loin cloth, shooting arrows from a soul stealing longbow at another NPC.

So now, I'm completely ignoring my quest of whatever it is I was supposed to be doing because I was so enthralled watching this scene unfold before me. The other NPC, the "theif", is yelling "ouch, ouch" every time he gets hit with an arrow and tries to get away by jumping into the ocean. The hunter is running down the shore line, twanging arrows every few seconds at the other guy and came across a giant walrus just hanging out chillin on the beach. The walrus didn't like that and reared up and in one hit crushed the poor naked bastard who's ragdoll flew like 20 feet out into the water.

Fucking tragic I know, but I couldn't stop laughing.

I never found the thief or figured out what the hell that was all about, but I did get to keep that sweet ass bow and my good Karma. :)

Skyrim, I love you!

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
For me, the most obvious problem with Serenity was that they showed the reapers directly, breaking the 'let the imagination fill in the blanks' rule that scary things in films tend to follow.

MegaR

May 24, 2010
a podcast cat hat
that is going to be stuck in my head for a long while -.-

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
Yeah, the "anti-hero versus villain jerk" thing is just about as far as games have gone. Another example is Saints Row The Third, in which Killbane keeps whores in metal crates like they're real slaves and does other evil things (see spoiler). (Keep in mind that pedestrian deaths don't really matter in that context, especially because they can randomly run you over with trucks.)

Killbane outright kills one of the twins. The remaining twin woman joins forces with the Saints, which also include Zimos the pimp. That could mean a monopoly in the sex business because she owns the kinky clubs and such.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
My business card says I'm junior negotiator for a broker of souls.

Ah, kids that die. Let me tell you one of my favorite Deus Ex videos. It has that annoying kid in Hong Kong who says he's going to get you in trouble with a triad boss he knows because you had the audacity to ask him a question. In the video, as he says this, he's approaching a carefully-placed LAM (proximity mine).

And then he goes boom.

It makes me so very happy.

I never completed it, but I made a mod where the player's job was to lure villagers into the forest, kill them, and throw their body into a well occupied by a trapped spirit in an effort to free it.

What? After years of murdering evil cultists I wanted to be one for once.

The Batman picture Steve is talking about.... I've seen it because of a comic book fan I know Here we go (maybe not worksafe) [http://webspace.webring.com/people/ld/d-patanella/batman2.html]. The specific "forbidden" items being depicted are listed at the bottom of the image, upside down in case you want to play along.

And restrictions can be good, but some of them can be very idiotic. You can't slap someone in the face but you can kick them in the face? You can't make reference to murder in a series where the protagonist's entire motivation is that his parents were murdered?

The problem is the people setting limits often have no idea of what's bad and what's not. They've been looking for demons so long that now they see them in innocence. For every one inappropriate thing they block, they'll make a half-dozen edicts where a girl can't kiss her brother because it suggested incest [http://reboot.wikia.com/wiki/Broadcast_Standards_and_Practices].

As for Skyrim.... The immortal-kid motivation was to keep parent groups off their backs. It had to be - if not then someone's got something very wrong with them, because I can't see any other sane motivation. Why is killing kids so much worse than killing adults?
Kids are innocent? That's like slasher-movie logic where sexuality makes a person a "deserving" target.
Kids are defenseless? So are most adults to the protagonist of a video game.
Some idea of wasted potential? So it's fine to kill senior citizens then because they probably won't do anything important in the time they have left?

If murder is wrong, then it is wrong for everyone. Any exception is incredibly situational: Anyone who claims you can pick or choose more or less appropriate targets by a physical trait has something wrong with them. (And I include a number of parent groups in that assessment.)

Ah, the creepy Skyrim video. Excellent for evoking feelings of discomfort and dread, far better a scare than the last three "screamers" idiots sent me. If that's proof that the creator was crazy, then that news item on Pedobear being used only by pedophiles was valid.

Observing gameplay as an image of the player: I have several characters for a game.

One is a ruthless cur for whom friends are something to keep until needed. Then she will calmly lead them into madness or death if that's what she wants. If she defends a friend it's because she thinks she might need them later, or because they're her property (ah, intelligent pets).

Another is altruistic and helps people out. His friends are his friends and he does them favors simply for sake of friendship.

Another is a seducer. He has some friends but he prefers to have conquests, and will convert the former into the latter if he can.

So what am I?

Did Susan say Fenric [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fennec_fox][/I] foxes?

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Anyone against a Skyrim mod that made kids killable to everything except the player character?

That way the players aren't automatically child murderers and they get the realism from a dragon attack truly wiping out a settlement.

*EDIT*

[sub]Now that I've ordered mine it's safe to spread the news...[/sub]

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010
Formica Archonis said:
The Batman picture Steve is talking about....
Ha! I went looking for it today and was surprised how much I remembered. The picture has really stuck with me over the years. I think I still have the animation magazine it appeared in.

To the attic!

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
The Escapist Staff said:
023: Skyrim, More Skyrim and Buyer's Guide

This week, we discuss The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and the effect that bugs and various mods have on the game. We also talk about our Holiday Buyer's Guide, shopping for fellow gamers and answer your questions.

Watch Video
Loved Serenity. It was my introduction to the Firefly 'verse, and I love that it "ends" our window into that whole story. It leaves us with unanswered question, and the sense that it all continues beyond us.

And Skyrim. Skyrim, skyrim, skyrim, skyrim, skyrim!!! All of it! How long has it been since a game has captivated so many people so much like this, to the point that the front page is clogged up with Skyrim? Minecraft comes to mind. Not that this game is "the next Minecraft", but there's just so much in the game that gives you the "Because I can!" feeling and keeps people talking.

On kid killing, it's about making a mod that you have the skill to create (like Susan said)... and then talking it up, so that it appears this particular mod is critically important. It's like someone changing their job title to some artificially-inflated glory-label to make themselves feel more important.

But this game... wow... for all its shortcomings and bugs and all... its sheer ability to generate buzz to a greater degree than it previously generated hype. I unabashedly love this game.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Nasrin said:
Steve always cracks me up.
I love these podcasts, because they awaken in me this burning geek rage that makes me feverishly wish I got to hang out with these people and have these conversations. You folks should raffle off a spot or something, so that I can cheat and win.

NoTroll

Apr 27, 2008
Also good on Susan for not kneejerk reaction to the guy making the creepy video in Skyrim, and for telling the guys off for their hypocrisy.

Tamrin

Nov 12, 2011
Listening to the podcast 10 minutes in were hearing about Skyrim, food, and many laughs being had... did you guys hotbox that room prior to doing this weeks podcast? j/k

Love hearing you guys talk. :p

Caffiene

Jul 21, 2010
Random thoughts:

I havent got Skyrim yet (lack of funds :( ) but myself and a whole bunch of role players I know I can easily see getting the child killing mod for all the various reasons of immersion that you talked about. I think youre underestimating people to say that most people want it just to kill the kids. If anything Id put the majority of people in the character of wanting the mod just because its there, without any real desires regarding the subject.

I loved the ivory reference... :D "I think his business cards are made of ivory."

I definitely agree with your answers to the question about playing Evil - you cant legitimately have an in-depth evil character that the player plays as because any in-depth character believes their goals are justified and not evil. You can easily have them play that character, but if you successfully put the player in the mindset of that role then they are no longer going to recognise that they are playing a villian.

An evil character is almost by definition one that the player cant fully identify with. That works for Dungeon Keeper, but you cant have a properly immersive experience based around doing things you cant identify with.

NoTroll

Apr 27, 2008
Where the hell can I find that "Things we couldn't do in Batman:TAS" picture?