Escapist Podcast: 046: 38 Studios Debacle and Gay Superheroes

Archguru

May 29, 2012
Ok, so the pro-rights part: Yay! I hope its not just publicity driven.

The comic book nerd part: Its frustrating.

Firstly, love the podcasts, but your comic book knowledge is over 10 years out of date.

Secondly, I have real worries that they cannot do this well. Case in point is the portrayal of Starfire in the DCNu. Is the company that engages in this type of character assasination going to be able to create a fully realized gay character without falling back on stereotypes.

Thirdly, the deconstruction of continutity and characters that I have read for years bothers me. Not even talking about the events that are now out of continuity (Crisis :p), this will be a major change to a character that has a history. While I find it laudable that gay kids will have a role model to look up to, it will change the hero relationship for other readers. Not that you cannot idolize a character that is gay, but it essentially makes 2 characters. And since 99% of the iconic male characters have had major relationships over the course of continuity, this means that the older character no longer really exist (not b/c the character didn't go through a journey of choice to come to this realization, but b/c DC has eliminated the old character from continuity.)

Taking on this point, here are the major and minor iconics and what their chances of being this character are, IMHO:

Supes - Lois Lane, they aren't going to change this.
Batman - Considering that the first catwoman issue showed Bats and her in flagrante on the rooftops, not likely
Hal Jordan - unlikely, hes been portrayed as a horndog too long, plus Star Sapphire
John Stewart - possible, but he has a major romantic arc with Katma Tui
Guy Gardner - possible, again minor romantic arc with Ice
Kyle Rayner - more possible, last romantic arc was Alex DeWitt (See women in refrigerators), may not be in continuity anymore
Green Arrow - unlikely, hes been portrayed as a horndog too long, plus Black Canary
Aquaman - unlikely unless they ignore his history. He's king of Atlantis and Mera is his queen.
Martian Manhunter - possible, but really a cop-out as hes very alien
Cyborg - possible, they have been pushing him to be a major character, but he's still really a minor.
Dick Grayson (Robin) - unlikely, hes been portrayed as a horndog too long
Jason Todd (Robin) - dead
Tim Drake (Robin) - possible, some romantic arcs, but nothing iconic.
Damien (Robin) - possible, no major romantic arcs as hes relatively young. Youth plays against this.

Anyone else would be considered too minor to be listed as an "iconic" for marketing purposes.

Purplecoyote

Feb 10, 2010
Great podcast as usual!

Also, my vote goes to Daniel from Amnesia The Dark Descent to be the character I hate the most. He was written to be despised of course, but the fact that he fainted whenever he stood in the dark for two seconds didn't really help his cause.

And how could you forget about the character that inspired hate in a whole generation.

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
ravenshrike said:
HobbesMkii said:
Susan Arendt said:
HobbesMkii said:
I think you misunderstood what I was saying, but I appreciate the insight from someone who actually lives there.
You said the lesson was not to take money from a state who could "yoink" (you'll have to correct me on how to spell that word) it away. But as I said above, RI didn't "yoink" any money. So that would be an unrelated (though possibly still valid) lesson to learn. If that's a misunderstanding I apologize.
Calling in all the chips on a loan effectively is yoinking money away, especially when the loanee is looking to secure a bridge loan. This is especially true when it's being used to score political points in a news conference.
No one "called in all the chips on the loan." 38 Studios couldn't make the FIRST payment of the loan. For a payment schedule they agreed upon. If you skip your mortgage payments, the bank takes your house. If you skip your car loan payments, they repossess your car. If you skip your economic development loan payments, they take your assets.

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
ravenshrike said:
HobbesMkii said:
ravenshrike said:
HobbesMkii said:
Susan Arendt said:
HobbesMkii said:
I think you misunderstood what I was saying, but I appreciate the insight from someone who actually lives there.
You said the lesson was not to take money from a state who could "yoink" (you'll have to correct me on how to spell that word) it away. But as I said above, RI didn't "yoink" any money. So that would be an unrelated (though possibly still valid) lesson to learn. If that's a misunderstanding I apologize.
Calling in all the chips on a loan effectively is yoinking money away, especially when the loanee is looking to secure a bridge loan. This is especially true when it's being used to score political points in a news conference.
No one "called in all the chips on the loan." 38 Studios couldn't make the FIRST payment of the loan. For a payment schedule they agreed upon. If you skip your mortgage payments, the bank takes your house. If you skip your car loan payments, they repossess your car. If you skip your economic development loan payments, they take your assets.
Actually, in most cases the loaner will be willing to go over everything and either wait or renegotiate terms. This is especially true of the first missed payment. Given that the missed payment looks like a cash flow issue from what little info we know, if the governor hadn't been looking to score political points he would have handled this much differently.
I think they had more than a cash flow issue. Schilling says they weren't ever going to get money from EA for Kingdoms of Amalur. He also hadn't paid his employees for weeks before the loan was due. That seems to me to indicate a severe problem with ever having money to pay back the RI Economic Development Council.

You're also wrong that the governor was out looking to score points from the getgo, or that he could have handled it better. As I've pointed out elsewhere, Schilling openly says in his interview with the Providence Journal that Chafee tried to get Schilling's film tax credit approved, (and this comes despite the fact Schilling had told FOX News pundits that tax credits were tantamount to government handouts and he would never take them). But, the original Democratic guy, Keith Stokes, who made the deal in the first place (and is Executive Director of the RI Economic Development Council) dragged his feet and as a result, they couldn't make the filing deadline, meaning 38 Studios no longer qualified for it.

After that, after there was nothing else the state could do, bar throwing more money at a deal that we Rhode Islanders disliked, that Chafee himself disliked as a candidate, then Chafee calls a press conference to tell everyone that 38 Studios is unable to pay back its RIEDC loan, which means that the state will be on the hook. I don't know how that makes Chafee the bad guy, here. I think most of the blame lies with Schilling for mismanaging his company and Keith Stokes for making a terrible deal for the state.