Escapist Podcast: 065: Universal Horror and Writing in Games

shiajun

Jun 12, 2008
bdcjacko said:
shiajun said:
The Extra Credits video this week talked about how we keep classifying games based on their mechanics (FPS, RTS, Racing, RPG, MMORPG, Puzzle, etc) instead of their aesthethic values (like drama, fantasy, horror). I guess that's why mechanics always take priority over writing, since many developers keep thinking first about the interface they want to present the gamer and not the atmosphere and experience they want to engage people with. I agree that as long as this mentality persists, writing or storytelling in general will take a backseat to gameplay concerns instead of being developed in synergy. Either that, or once the gameplay is built the "story" is made up to adapt to the gameplay in place, even if it makes no sense.
The podcat, when Steve Butts was around, covered that a few times as well.
Yes, I know, I regularly listen to the podcasts. I think the fact that so many people are aproaching the topic in the same direction is a good thing. I just thought the scholarly flair the EC guys bring to the table could add a little to the discussion, by concretely defining what mechanics and aesthitic values are, listing specific categories of the latter (with examples), and giving references to published papers on the matter.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
shiajun said:
bdcjacko said:
shiajun said:
The Extra Credits video this week talked about how we keep classifying games based on their mechanics (FPS, RTS, Racing, RPG, MMORPG, Puzzle, etc) instead of their aesthethic values (like drama, fantasy, horror). I guess that's why mechanics always take priority over writing, since many developers keep thinking first about the interface they want to present the gamer and not the atmosphere and experience they want to engage people with. I agree that as long as this mentality persists, writing or storytelling in general will take a backseat to gameplay concerns instead of being developed in synergy. Either that, or once the gameplay is built the "story" is made up to adapt to the gameplay in place, even if it makes no sense.
The podcat, when Steve Butts was around, covered that a few times as well.
Yes, I know, I regularly listen to the podcasts. I think the fact that so many people are aproaching the topic in the same direction is a good thing. I just thought the scholarly flair the EC guys bring to the table could add a little to the discussion, by concretely defining what mechanics and aesthitic values are, listing specific categories of the latter (with examples), and giving references to published papers on the matter.
If by scholarly flair you mean pompous soap boxing.

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
That naming discussion reminded me of this Better off Ted quote:

(they are talking about a test tube meat the company is developing)
Phil: Blobby, like Bobby, only with an "L"
Lem: Don't name it or you won't want to eat it. Remember Chester the carrot?
Phil: Yeah, I miss him

reciprocal

Jun 4, 2009
I am surprised no one could relate to Raistlin Majere from Dragonlance. He was my definite favourite.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
shiajun said:
Game are in a semi-unique position that there doesn't need to a chicken and egg situation though. A good aesthetics can be built around an awesome mechanic and vice versa. Polarizing to either end is equally bad for game making.

anian

Sep 10, 2008
Radio lab (google it) did a story about Centralia, I don't remember mentioning them the Silent Hill inspiration, that's really cool.

On the Universal horror thing, there are 2 main things that would bother me there:
1. I'm glad that they judge which people can hurt, because I think I maybe would be one of those people that scream, but also go into a berserk mode and punch them
2. in a house like Walking dead, there would be like the slightest part of my brain always thinking - What if there's a zombie outbreak right now and guy is bitten but I think that they're just in costume and I don't run/react!?

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
Whenever I have questions about alignment (I've never played D&D), I refer to these handy charts!

There's always one you can relate to!

rokudan

Dec 20, 2008
reciprocal said:
I am surprised no one could relate to Raistlin Majere from Dragonlance. He was my definite favourite.
I got my love of reading and gaming from the Dragonlance books. You can check out a Spanish dub of the movie on YouTube, but its so hard to watch. It's like someone did a speed run of super mario fbrothers, the someone who had never played a video game edited the footage into small chunks.

The movie edits out a good 1/3rd of the book at least.

danimal1384

Sep 18, 2007
A few points to the discussion regarding the Transformers. 1st: The '86 Movie is amazing. 2nd: regarding the various continuities... Beast Wars has characters that are from AFTER the 80's series but it takes place DURING the 4 Million Years prompt early in Episode 1 of the original series (Time Travel lol). 3rd: The planet CHAR that Susan mentioned is from Season 3 of the original series, which starts up immediately after the '86 animated movie.

Just wanted to bring some of my knowledge to the Podcat. Hope any of this helped.

I LOVE YOU GUYS!!!