Escapist Podcast: 072: Achievements, Replays & Voice Acting Vs Text

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
072: Achievements, Replays & Voice Acting Vs Text

This week, we discuss achievements and when we go back to reread, replay and rewatch movies, games and books. We also talk about which is better voice acting or text.

Watch Video

klown

Jun 6, 2012
Clive Owen is Arthur in King Arthur, and the Directors Cut of Kingdom of Heaven is much better than the original. Also, it's not the alcohol content in Robotussin, it's the DXM. It's hallucinogen.

Also: Great Podcast as always.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
Josh here sounds so much like Dr. Mark that I thought, "Wait, when did they bring in Dr. Mark?"

DrRockor

Jun 24, 2008
you mentioned costume quest when you were talking about christmas games that there is a DLC for costume quest thats christmas themed

Somebloke

Aug 5, 2010
For my favourite fantasy series; Katharine Kerr's Deverry books, the author did have a pretty clear idea where she was going, right from the start and figured she could get it done pretty quickly and tersly.

She wound up with fifteen books over 23 years. :p

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
klown said:
Clive Owen is Arthur in King Arthur, and the Directors Cut of Kingdom of Heaven is much better than the original. Also, it's not the alcohol content in Robotussin, it's the DXM. It's hallucinogen.

Also: Great Podcast as always.
That's it! It's Clive Owen and Gerard Butler I'm constantly getting mixed up. In my defense, they're both tall, handsome, brunette British men.

DrRockor said:
you mentioned costume quest when you were talking about christmas games that there is a DLC for costume quest thats christmas themed
Yep, but it's still very Halloweeny - you bob for apples, switch costumes, trick or treat...it just feels awkward.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
I'm not even 15 minutes in and horrified. You guys are the best damn show on the internets.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
I feel the same way about re-playing games. Even in games like BioWare's Dragon age & Mass Effects, and Bethesda's Fallouts & Elder Scrolls I can't ever play them more than once. Even though those games are perfect for more than one playthrough.

Part of it is time, and the other part is I just don't really want to play them differently.

However, I do like playing a game again if it has different modes that really change how the game is. Like the different game modes in Metal Gear Soild 4. Also, the best mode is New Game Plus. Ya know, when they let you play the whole thing again, but you get to keep your level and all your cool stuff. That's the best.

As for the Voiced Player Charaters V.S. Text Player Charaters. While I agree that it can be annoying when your charater doesn't speak when everyone else does, I would prefer being able to say many things rather than hear a few things, but the points you all brought up are all true.

Good show! Glad the world didn't end today!

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
"The hooker is a practical effect." - Susan Arendt

Best out of context quote ever.

shiajun

Jun 12, 2008
Brazil is also a movie that's utterly different on the Director's Cut. It's actually good and makes some sense (as much as sense in a Terrry Gilliam movie can be approached).

Also, having just re-watched Contagion, Justin coughing on the mike would really freak me out. Yeah...I'm just 10 minutes in, I don't know if he actually does later on.

Loving Josh here, the chaging cast is always a good moment.

EDIT: Forget Justin's flu, this gang's TV viewing habits are quite more disturbing.

LordVikingofFire

Nov 11, 2009
Just so you know Susan, it rains a lot in Denmark. I haven't seen the Danish series, but it rains a lot in Denmark. Sorry to crush your dreams.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
I was actually able to complete all tortu "interrogations" in X-Com
9 there were, but it was on normal difficulty
Sectoid leader was biggest pain in rear end to capture (besides Etheral, but that's obvious)

Also it seems kinda strange that Susan is all voiced or non-voiced person, since she's into TES games
(and 2 previous had every character voiced except main character)

I personally have a bit different thing
If game is fully voiced then protagonist must be either faceless and mute or with face and voice
That is why I find games like Doom3 and Halo so strange (one have cutscenes with character that is simply mute but with face, while another have character that speaks, but has no face)
Half-Life gets away from that by never showing Gordon's face in game
We have his face from other media and HL1 multiplayer skin
[and I really hope his actual voice is kinda crappy, like high pitched and weird, and that is the reason, why he is never speaking)

Anyway that was great podcast, I really hope seeing top [insert number here] of your favorite game this year.

Logan Hartke

Apr 27, 2010
Wow, someone else that does a tree throughout the year! Our family has the full size green that we decorate for Christmas every year, but we also have a small tree that we decorate for Mardi Gras, Easter, 4th of July, Halloween, then back to Christmas.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
blackrave said:
I was actually able to complete all tortu "interrogations" in X-Com
9 there were, but it was on normal difficulty
Sectoid leader was biggest pain in rear end to capture (besides Etheral, but that's obvious)

Also it seems kinda strange that Susan is all voiced or non-voiced person, since she's into TES games
(and 2 previous had every character voiced except main character)

I personally have a bit different thing
If game is fully voiced then protagonist must be either faceless and mute or with face and voice
That is why I find games like Doom3 and Halo so strange (one have cutscenes with character that is simply mute but with face, while another have character that speaks, but has no face)
Half-Life gets away from that by never showing Gordon's face in game
We have his face from other media and HL1 multiplayer skin
[and I really hope his actual voice is kinda crappy, like high pitched and weird, and that is the reason, why he is never speaking)

Anyway that was great podcast, I really hope seeing top [insert number here] of your favorite game this year.
I really, really dislike most of the voice acting in the Elder Scrolls games. It would just be odd if it were missing, because the rest of the sound is so robust.

TAdamson

Jun 20, 2012
You numbskulls. Whippets are nitrous oxide, not carbon dioxide. You can't get high of carbon dioxide.

And cocaine is not for dancing but for feeling superior to all of humanity, at least until your nose falls off.

thewanderer41

Jun 20, 2012
So I wonder if the guy in the sent in question was worried that he was enabling other people a little too much. I mean, I'm on the same page on the moderation thing, but I had a whole bunch of friends as an undergrad who were super into games and d&d. The problem was that because they would talk all about games and d&d, it ended up enabling me in staying in and just doing nothing but games and stuff. So maybe the guy's doing fine, but by helping these kids, maybe he's worried he's spoiling these kids?

Anyways, now onto the IMPORTANT question! Best Christmas game? The Grinch that came out for Playstation. Soooo good.
Anyone else with me on this? :D

puff ball

Mar 14, 2011
i just had a crazy thought Susan you should try reading the dialog options that your mute characters cant say out loud it might help you feel more immersed (bonus points for doing it in character). that is if you don't mind looking like a crazy person.