Escapist Podcast: 086: PAX East 2013 Wrap-Up!

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
086: PAX East 2013 Wrap-Up!

This week, the intrepid Escapist crew catches their breath from the craziness that was PAX East 2013!

Watch Video

Jaded_Muffin

Nov 8, 2010
I actually had a pretty epic experience in about 3 hours with Botanicula. It's definitely quirky and not for everyone. But after I finished it I felt like had gone on a mini save the world adventure :)

Also! Thanks for recording and loading all of the PAX videos. It's so much fun to watch them.

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
Thank you all for another greatly amusing (And interesting) podcast.

Captcha: Nutrition

Huh...What a coincidence...

Skunktrain

Nov 19, 2009
I've started considering the discussion of cute animal pictures to be nearly as important to a complete Podcat as food talk. In fact, I half expect the video to have a montage of them in the corner or something.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
So what's with Susan mentioning Russ (or whoever he was she was talking about playing Bioshock Infinite alongside with)? Are they neighbors or something?

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
Xman490 said:
So what's with Susan mentioning Russ (or whoever he was she was talking about playing Bioshock Infinite alongside with)? Are they neighbors or something?
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escapist-podcast/4159-014-Russs-Departure-Dead-Island-Your-Questions

I'm fairly sure it's that guy.

Camaranth

Feb 4, 2011
I'm loving the Escapist on the Road videos. It's awesome to get a slice of the events I can't attend and it gives me an idea of what the heck you are talking about when you postmortem them on the podcat. It's awesome so Thank You for putting that extra effort in for us!

Paul's reaction to the "interviewer" was fantastic and Go Megan!

A good dressing if you want more than just vinegar is raspberry vinaigrette. Really good on a fresh salad and light and refreshing in the summer. (I'm not sure if that is healthy or not)

Kristian Fischer

Aug 15, 2011
Xman490 said:
It's her husband, Russ Pitts.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Xman490 said:
Russ Pitts, he's Susan's husband. Cool guy.
Use to be the "Editor-in-Chief" before Susan, and Steve Butts before her.

Steve Butts, also a real cool guy.

They both now do other things, but we still have Susan so that's cool. :)

Great PodCat today!

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Xman490 said:
Vie said:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escapist-podcast/4159-014-Russs-Departure-Dead-Island-Your-Questions

I'm fairly sure it's that guy.
*chuckle*...yeah. Jump to 51:10 to find out who Russ is.

Little Duck

Diving Space Muffin
Oct 22, 2009
Have to say, when I heard the guy said "Well they were asking for it, they were dressing sexy." That is the first ever time I have screamed at my desk listening to a pod cat.

What do I do in that situation as a person who isn't directly involved and someone is going around acting like that, cos not gonna lie, I'd want to stop it, but I wouldn't know how to.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
I like Turkey lettuce and tomato sandwiches. Low calorie, high in vitamins and minerals and fiber. Tastes good. Filling. That's my favorite healthy food.

Also a bowl of Cheerios with a banana cut up in it is good as well.

T3hSource

Mar 5, 2012
Damn you for making me jealous for not going to PAX, you guys might make this one of my goals in life, which is incredibly rare from where I am.
As for the question at 46-50 mins in, I'd freeze too if I were asked that in the described context (for the record, yes, I am male, but I can understand the situation and empathize).
As for my response to the situation it would be "Why would you ask that?"

Louis Martin

Oct 14, 2011
Guys, your RSS link in the description currently gives an error and a link to the 'Escapist Sizzle Reel'. This is because a '<br />' got left in there somehow.

Tombsite

Nov 17, 2012
Do you guys have any idea about the cost and effort it would be for me to go to a gaming convention in the US? Yet still you guys just keep tempting me with awesome and hilarious stories and videos. It really isn't fair :(

Krista Grillo

Mar 30, 2013
Hello! I attended the Take This panel at PAX East this past weekend and wanted to know if there will be a podcast of it or perhaps a transcript of the panel? Thank you in advance.

-Krista Grillo

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
I really enjoyed the game show night, and I found the Take This panel very... emotional. I teared up at times because some of it reminded me so much of myself. Sadly, I wasn't able to go to the Escapist Movie Night. I wanted to, but this was my first PAX. So I decided I'd wait in line and go to the concerts. And it was as I waited for that that my worst PAX moment happened. I got in line at 5:10, waited and waited and waited, we went up to the main area and lined up, etc. I think I was the tenth person in line roughly. Then, I decided to go use the bathroom to wash my hands and fill my water bottle. I came back... and the first 8 lines had already gone into the theater. :( I still got a good spot, but I wasn't in the very front like I'd wanted.

I'd actually wanted to say hi to Susan at some point though. But I didn't want to do that after the Take This panel... that seemed like a bad time to come and say 'hey, remember me? I'm that one guy who did that one thing months back.' And after the Game Show Night, I was exhausted and just went back to die... er, sleep in my hotel room. Oh well.

There's something odd about me and conventions. when I was at PAX, I never got hungry. Like, I ate some granola bars, and I forced myself to pick up a sandwich from 7-11 on Saturday, but I never really had to eat. The same thing happened during the Escapist Expo last year. I think I just feed on the energy of the convention to survive.

Overall I had a great time at my first PAX though.