Escapist Podcast: 097: Xbox One-Eighty

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
097: Xbox One-Eighty

This week, we discuss Microsoft's announcement that they are reversing many of their Xbox One online policies.

Watch Video

shadowxvii

Jan 9, 2013
The Waterworld game (Super Nintendo version) was NOT a good game. So I'll assume you were talking of the PC one, even then it was not that good apparently. As for the virtual boy version, well... virtual boy...

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
Well, this one was eclectic! I only have one thing to say about this podcast...

'SPOOOOOOOOOOON!'

that's what the one80 should be called, ok i'm done now..

also solve agrees
'goes to eleven'
correct, it does indeed.

#Edit
damn, who else would KILL for a tick mystery/adventure game.. that would be my killer app i'd buy a one80 for that.

Almack

May 1, 2012
why does schuyler seem so much more imposing than anyone else on the podcast today.

Rassmusseum

Oct 11, 2010
What is that music that plays during the break? Something off OCRemix I assume? It was really good whatever it was.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Thing is, Always online and no used games wouldn't be a big deal to me. I can see why many people would hate them, but I don't sell games and always buy new and my connection is pretty solid.

That being said I hate HATE motion controls. And to have to buy a kinect and to have it to work makes XB1 a non-buy to me. If there was a non kinect version that was 100$ less than it would be on level technicaly with PS4.

But the PS4 has one HUGE thing over XB1 for me anyway. PS4 is actively perusing indies. And MS is making it harder for indies to publish.

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
TizzytheTormentor said:
IllumInaTIma said:
Greg Tito said:
IllumInaTIma said:
Right from the beginning! Stop picking on Paul you bastards!
It's just so easy ...
You're better than this Greg! Don't forget, with great power comes great responsibility.
But abusing that power is more fun! To heck with responsibilities!
TizzytheTormentor enjoys Paul being tormented by Greg! What a twist!

KazNecro

Jun 1, 2009
As an educator, I immediately picked up on the 'substitute teacher vs. students' vibe that was going on. Kudos to Paul for using the 'I'll wait' tactic on them. Too bad it wasn't effective.

Something tells me that wasn't soda-pop you guys were drinking. ;-)

TomPreston

Feb 9, 2010
I have to say I missed Susan's ability to keep the podcast on topic. There was a moment in the middle there where one of you was trying to talk and everyone wouldn't stop laughing or cutting them off. Funny at first but irritating when it keeps going and going. Let the man speak!

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
The 3rd faction, aka "the green guys" were House Ordos.

Dune talk kinda took me by surprise at the end there...

I'd play a Dune MMO.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
I can't really help but say this, but Ma'idah looks good, especially in that dress. Also, she's fun to listen to as she laughs a lot.

It bugs me how you joke about Wii U sales, as it sounds like a great family gaming system. Then again, the Wii is a good-enough family gaming system and is the cheapest system out there. Then AGAIN, people often go for "the next big thing", and 30-something parents of single-digit-age children (as in Bob's generation, and Bob, The Game Overthinker, said he loves his Super Mario) love whatever games they might have grown up with, from Super Mario 3 to Megaman 2.
On another note, inflation rates over the past 7 years average at 2.1% - http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/inflation/current-inflation-rates/ - (2008 Recession halted inflation almost completely), so total inflation brings money 7 years ago at 1.15 of the value of money today. By that inflation, the $600 PS3 price would be at about $700 today, while $60 games would be about $70.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
You don't buy a lot of used games so you'll get an Xbox One?

I don't starve to death in Africa very often, that doesn't mean I want to bomb Unicef!

Even with the 180 I'm still not psyched about the new Xbone. I can already watch TV!
But it's still the Kinnect that's the deal breaker.
I know their line "OOOOOOHHHHH You can turn the Kinnect off. But you have to have it plugged in and pointing at you the whole time, And DON'T WORRY the off button is totally not a dummy button we added in a last ditch effort to gain your confidence. You know what'll make the Xbox One experience even better? If you show your credit cards to the Kinnect while it's off. Remember front and back. Or maybe just read the numbers out loud, we're not picky. And it doesn't even matter! because the Kinnect is turned off, and even if it was on it's not like we can see and hear every thing that happens in your living rooms. And you never have to worry about getting blackmailed by any Microsoft employes, because we're not even recording! And how could we! That's against the law, except that the NSA can do it, and we totally ton't have a history of giving away personal information to them. Gosh."

Xbox One: Totally not Orwellian in any way, honestly. I swear... Leave your Kinnect plugged in because... uh... It would be a pain to have to plug it back in every time you wanted to watch TV or...uh? [sub]Pssst, guys! What was that other thing the Xbox One was supposed to do?...[/sub] oh right! Or play video games. And that's the only reason for you to leave your Kinnect plugged in and uh ya' know pointed at you the whole time. Remember, not Orwellian.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Please make Ma'idah Lashani a regular on the podcast. I thought she was really good and had a strong vibe with the rest.

Also the banter between Paul and Greg was very entertaining. The podcast while at first was rough around the edges I think is starting to smooth out. :)

Edit: on the topic of the xbox one I would say no way in hell. 100 bucks more for a weaker system, has the kinect always watching, and xbox live does not have good benefits like the PS+.

Also worried that they are using "the cloud" to get our foots in the door to always on DRM before they cement them down.

While the used game and always on were big issues, I feel that they are overshadowing the three problems the xbox one still has compared to the Ps4.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
One aspect of the PS4 VS One debate that keeps getting overlooked on almost every gaming source I frequent is the stance on indie games. While a staunch Xbox player till now, and as someone who wasn't too terribly put off by their previous direction with the One, that aspect is a large factor in my decision to go with the PS4 this generation. Reaching out to and supporting indie developers is huge, as is allowing them to self publish on the console. Some of the most memorable games of this generation were either indies or by small development houses. Games like Journey, Papa Y Yo, The Unfinished Swan, and even The Walking Dead. A policy like MS has doesn't allow for those games to get the sort of exposure that they deserve.

jeremysaint

Jul 7, 2011
i had to stop listening when you started talking about the last of us. i cant tell if you are being serious or sarcastic about a water level, all i can tell is you're being a jerk by threatening to spoil something on your audience like that. i'm not laughing. that wasn't funny.

negativity aside, i appreciate the podcast, and with a notable exception, i enjoyed listening to it. thank-you.