Escapist Podcast: 107: Nintendo 2DS & Ben Affleck Batman

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
107: Nintendo 2DS & Ben Affleck Batman

This week, we discuss the new Nintendo 2DS and the announcement that Ben Affleck will be the next Batman. GTA blamed in murder.

Watch Video

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
This was the best podcast I've seen in like....... ever.

I want these same four people for the next bajillion years.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Rath's article was very good indeed. He brought up something a lot of others were missing. How the family(especially the 8 year old) must be feeling right now.

Their tragedy used to drum up views.

Anyway, good show. You all really lost it with the vagina joke.

Carrie won the whole thing with that snake beaters joke though. xD Well done!
=w= b

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
The 3D in 3DS actually works for me. Probably because I can adjust it. 3D in movies makes my head hurt and I can't see it properly.

dakkster

Aug 22, 2011
I'm trying to figure out if it's a good or bad thing, but Schuyler's laugh is digging into my brain every time I hear it. It's like a song you can't get out of your head.

Eleima

Keeper of the GWJ Holocron
Feb 21, 2010
I thought it was a bit of a shame that Carrie's "Can't or won't" question about the Justices not using email was kinda brushed aside. It's a really important distinction, and I'd be willing to bet that most of them if not all are versed in email, just don't use it to communicate with each other. did it ever occur to you that email is really easy to crack and that returning to more "archaic" modes of communication might circumvent that?

I don't know, I guess it's just a shame to assume they're ignorant, just because they're the Supreme Court or older than 50. My grandparents got a computer and started emailing me at the age of 75, for crying out loud! :D

And for the record, I really don't get what all the hullabaloo about Ben Affleck is. I definitely think he'll be able to pull it off, that he'll make a good Batman. Just as long as they don't hand him a Bat suit with nipples on it.

Eagi

Dec 10, 2008
3D printers can print assembled movable parts nowadays, so just wait for them to scale it up and you can have your car! :)

http://www.strandbeest.com/shop/beasts_3d.php

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLyx7FADO4s

ckeymel

Jun 24, 2008
Eleima said:
I thought it was a bit of a shame that Carrie's "Can't or won't" question about the Justices not using email was kinda brushed aside. It's a really important distinction, and I'd be willing to bet that most of them if not all are versed in email, just don't use it to communicate with each other. did it ever occur to you that email is really easy to crack and that returning to more "archaic" modes of communication might circumvent that?
I may have delivered it in a more joking tone, but I was indeed seriously asking if it was a situation where they don't use email for a specific reason (perhaps for the reason you mentioned), or if it was just slow adaption of technologies.

Additionally, for anyone who is interested, here is the bee venom article I was talking about
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/257437.php

Beach_Sided

Jun 25, 2010
So I am now close to never listening to a podcast again.

There are ever fewer actual gaming topics discussed, even fewer games discussed and the seemingly unstructured format means it (to me) has just become a frustrating and inane chatter from people who find their own jokes way too funny.

Please get back to having actually gaming topics and talking about games.

Sara Ivette

Mar 12, 2012
dakkster said:
I'm trying to figure out if it's a good or bad thing, but Schuyler's laugh is digging into my brain every time I hear it. It's like a song you can't get out of your head.
I'm with you. I don't know if I love it or I'm annoyed with it... I just know I can't get it out of my head!

Alpha Maeko

Uh oh, better get Maeko!
Apr 14, 2010
Beach_Sided said:

There are ever fewer actual gaming topics discussed, even fewer games discussed and the seemingly unstructured format means it (to me) has just become a frustrating and inane chatter from people who find their own jokes way too funny.

No, plz, keep talking about whatever :>

This scrub doesn't know what he's talking about D:

Eleima

Keeper of the GWJ Holocron
Feb 21, 2010
ckeymel said:
I may have delivered it in a more joking tone, but I was indeed seriously asking if it was a situation where they don't use email for a specific reason (perhaps for the reason you mentioned), or if it was just slow adaption of technologies.
That's totally fair, and for the record, I wasn't overly upset about it or anything. :D A little Google'ing revealed that "the justices are not necessarily the most technologically sophisticated people" and that "do rely upon the technological experience and knowledge of their judicial clerks who are much younger and have grown up in the digital age." Apparently, they "haven't even bothered."
So apparently, I was being a bit naïve when thinking they were protecting themselves from hackers. :D

Sources (not all of them super reliable, but here they are, FWIW):
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/kagan-justices-not-tech-savvy-send-paper-memos
http://www.mondaq.com/unitedstates/...e+Communications/The+LowTech+US+Supreme+Court
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...email-completely-mystified-social-media.shtml

ckeymel

Jun 24, 2008
Eleima said:
That's totally fair, and for the record, I wasn't overly upset about it or anything. :D A little Google'ing revealed that "the justices are not necessarily the most technologically sophisticated people" and that "do rely upon the technological experience and knowledge of their judicial clerks who are much younger and have grown up in the digital age." Apparently, they "haven't even bothered."
So apparently, I was being a bit naïve when thinking they were protecting themselves from hackers. :D

Sources (not all of them super reliable, but here they are, FWIW):
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/kagan-justices-not-tech-savvy-send-paper-memos
http://www.mondaq.com/unitedstates/...e+Communications/The+LowTech+US+Supreme+Court
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...email-completely-mystified-social-media.shtml
I suppose it has the inadvertent benefit of helping to protect against hacking. It will be interesting to see if the Supreme Court starts making a concerted effort to catch up with implementing new technologies what with all of the debates and issues coming up regarding it. It is certainly heartening to hear they are interested in at least experiencing newer technologies (ie vidja games) they are unfamiliar with before passing judgement on them.

Thanks for the links, it was an interesting read! :)

Wullie

Mar 29, 2011
Beach_Sided said:

I really agree with this.

No podcast/radio show works without a host and that's exactly what the podcast has been without since Susan left. Before her, it was Steve Butts, somebody with a really strong voice and personality who holds the whole show together, none of the current contributors can do that - that's not to say they aren't worth listening to but there's absolutely no structure now. Yes, when Steve and Susan were in charge, the show would still go off on tangents but they would eventually reign it back, there was a clear structure in place that is fundamentally lacking.

AdagioBoognish

Member?
Nov 5, 2013
Wullie said:
Beach_Sided said:

I really agree with this.

No podcast/radio show works without a host and that's exactly what the podcast has been without since Susan left. Before her, it was Steve Butts, somebody with a really strong voice and personality who holds the whole show together, none of the current contributors can do that - that's not to say they aren't worth listening to but there's absolutely no structure now. Yes, when Steve and Susan were in charge, the show would still go off on tangents but they would eventually reign it back, there was a clear structure in place that is fundamentally lacking.
Must be a preference thing. I love these pod casts because they don't feel like a news program. I really enjoy listening to them kick it in a studio and discuss things the way my friends and I do.