Escapist Podcast: 114: Ellen Page and Day One: Garry's Incident

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
114: Ellen Page and Day One: Garry's Incident

This week, the podcast crew talks about Ellen Page in Beyond: Two Souls and the end of the Wii. We also talk about our favorite "so bad its good" game and YouTube star TotalBiscuit's recent problems with the developers of Day One: Garry's Incident.

Watch Video

Orange12345

Aug 11, 2011
I think there is something wrong with the rss feed upload the file is just the first few minutes repeating over and over eventually just getting to the point where it just garbles up words

crazy_coug99

Official Representative of WSU
Sep 17, 2012
I don't know if it's just me but the audio version for iTunes is corrupted and keeps skipping for me after 3 minutes. Please look into it.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Oh yes, I would definitely recommend Deadly Premonition as a "So Bad, It's Good" game!

I feel like I should embed the Unskippable videos just as a taster to the game's majesty.

[video=1713]

[video=1729]

And if that doesn't sway people, here's a couple of bits from our very own Jim Sterling, when he reviewed it initially, over at Destructoid.

Deadly Premonition is like watching two clowns eat each other. It's perverse, it's wrong, and yet it's so fucking funny
Deadly Premonition is beautiful. No, not graphically. Graphically it's atrocious. It's a beautiful trainwreck, and it's well aware of the fact. Despite this game being quite like everything ever made, there's nothing quite like the game itself. There is absolutely nothing in this industry that can compare to how weird and wonderful the whole experience is. Judged as a piece of entertainment, as a game that consistently surprises and amazes and leaves jaws hanging, I have no choice but to say that Deadly Premonition goes above and beyond. This game is so bad, it's not just become good. It's pretty close to perfect.

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
Hey
Orange12345 said:
I think there is something wrong with the rss feed upload the file is just the first few minutes repeating over and over eventually just getting to the point where it just garbles up words
crazy_coug99 said:
I don't know if it's just me but the audio version for iTunes is corrupted and keeps skipping for me after 3 minutes. Please look into it.
Hi guys,

I've emailed IT to have them look into the issue; thank you for your patience while we work to get this resolved.

allonbacuth

Oct 18, 2009
I must be in a minority, but I really enjoyed Beyond: Two Souls. Objectively as a game it falls on its face, but the story and characters engrossed me completely. I pretty much played the whole game in one sitting, and was legitimately disappointed when it was over.

Vosgy

Sep 4, 2012
Hummmm, the video is De-syncing from the sound, the sound is getting ahead of the video for me, not sure why, another thing to check out I guess.

Edith The Hutt

Flying Monkey
Oct 16, 2010
The real trick in JFK re-loaded is not to knock the First Lady's hat off, but to knock one of the traffic cops' motorcycle helmets off without killing them. Seriously, they just get really agitated and point a gun everywhere; it's kind of funny.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Andy Shandy said:
Oh yes, I would definitely recommend Deadly Premonition as a "So Bad, It's Good" game!

I feel like I should embed the Unskippable videos just as a taster to the game's majesty.
[video=1713]

[video=1729]
And if that doesn't sway people, here's a couple of bits from our very own Jim Sterling, when he reviewed it initially, over at Destructoid.

Deadly Premonition is like watching two clowns eat each other. It's perverse, it's wrong, and yet it's so fucking funny
Deadly Premonition is beautiful. No, not graphically. Graphically it's atrocious. It's a beautiful trainwreck, and it's well aware of the fact. Despite this game being quite like everything ever made, there's nothing quite like the game itself. There is absolutely nothing in this industry that can compare to how weird and wonderful the whole experience is. Judged as a piece of entertainment, as a game that consistently surprises and amazes and leaves jaws hanging, I have no choice but to say that Deadly Premonition goes above and beyond. This game is so bad, it's not just become good. It's pretty close to perfect.
Dear Andy, when you post videos, please please PLEASE make sure they're spoiler'd if they are on auto-play. (Which all Escapist videos are, for some reason or another). If I didn't wake both of my upstairs neighbors just by clicking on this thread, it'll be a damned miracle.

Thanks.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
The Gamasutra article is, quite frankly, silly. Sure the success of your game is your livelihood as an independent game developer. but comparing that to what a Youtube content producer does is apples and oranges. When you create a game experience, you have to accept that some people aren't going to like it, and maybe those people are going to be well known and influential.

Had Wildgames taken down every single monetized video, it would have been their right to do so as there was no complete stated agreement that monetization was not allowed. Even TB can only argue that monetization was heavily implied. The thing is, they didn't do that. They targeted the one monetized video that was first on search results and happened to be very negative. That just isn't acceptable.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Well, I just so happen to have just what you all want.
Nylah is scared. <.<

Very good Podcast today. Youtube's policy on copyright does seem to be a bit unfair for the content creators.

I know they can't just let copy righted things like that go on their site, but there's got to be a way they can make sure no one is gaming the system like that.
:/ Unless they just really don't have enough employees to do it.... Though, you'd think they could have a message sent to the person running the channel warning them about the copy right issues first, and then if they don't respond in a day or two they could go ahead and do what they have to do.

At any rate, hope you all have a great Halloween!

<.> I want one. But they're not real....

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
Andy Shandy said:

[video=1713]

[video=1729]

Dear Andy, when you post videos, please please PLEASE make sure they're spoiler'd if they are on auto-play. (Which all Escapist videos are, for some reason or another). If I didn't wake both of my upstairs neighbors just by clicking on this thread, it'll be a damned miracle.

Thanks.
Apologies. I had no idea the Escapist videos autoplayed. D:

How long has that been happening for?

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Andy Shandy said:
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
Andy Shandy said:

[video=1713]

[video=1729]

Thanks.
Apologies. I had no idea the Escapist videos autoplayed. D:

How long has that been happening for?
About a month or so, I believe. One day, I went to click on the video to play it like I always had and I found that I paused the video instead. Every video after that, I never clicked on again.

Sep 9, 2013
The audio version, at least the one I'm downloading on iTunes, does not work. It just loops over and over the same 2 minutes through the whole thing.

dakkster

Aug 22, 2011
Schuyler is in a VERY small minority for thinking that Cameron somehow fucked up the Alien franchise. Most people agree that Aliens was better than Alien, a bunch prefer the first one and then there's apparently an extremely small minority who think that Aliens is horrible.

Honestly, I had my jaw on the floor when I heard him insist that Cameron fucked up the franchise. It's like saying that the Godfather 2 is a horrible sequel.

Master_Fubar23

Jun 25, 2009
Around the 45min mark, Heather makes a good point with a good idea but TB is too much of a pompous prick to do something so right. Otherwise, great podcast :)

Sofus

Apr 15, 2011
If wild games studio didn't want to pentially get bad reviews, then perhaps they shouldn't have given review copies to anyone.

But yeah, I didn't know about Garry's Incident untill this whole mess with totalbiscuit. Now if the devs hoped that it would make me want to play the game then they need to take their pills, because not all publicity is good and that little stunt is how you make gamers dislike companies.

Heck I might even have bought the game after hearing that it had some problems, but then they went and flagged TB's video.... now I just hope they go out of business.

Hazzard

Jan 25, 2012
I would like to say that I loved JFK: reloaded.
Here's a link for it:
http://www.fileplanet.com/192027/190000/fileinfo/JFK-Reloaded-v1.1-(Free-Game)

Eleima

Keeper of the GWJ Holocron
Feb 21, 2010
WMDogma said:
Hey
Orange12345 said:
crazy_coug99 said:
Hi guys,

I've emailed IT to have them look into the issue; thank you for your patience while we work to get this resolved.
Add me to the list, I have the same issue (and to be honest, I stopped listening after hearing about the whole "smirky smurf" thing for the fourth time XD ). Glad to know you're looking into it, guess it'll be up on Monday, right? *crosses fingers*

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
So has this been fixed yet? I don't want to download it yet another time after already wasting two downloads of it in my rather slim data plan already :(