Escapist Podcast: 117: PlayStation 4

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
117: PlayStation 4

This week, we discuss the Sony PlayStation 4. We also talk about open world games and whether they are the future for games or should be a genre by themselves.

Watch Video

crazy_coug99

Official Representative of WSU
Sep 17, 2012
Stryker said:
The download URL from the RSS-Feed does not work.
http://video.themis-media.com/links/766d9ea2d7d02d7e2dec3a7c47146f9d/mp3/escapist/escapist-podcast/486bb25fa909428c38950949505c594f.mp3

Typo perhaps?
Same here. This is the third time that there was been something wrong with the podcat download. First it wouldn't download until it was updated. The second, the audio kept skipping after 3 minutes (which to the best of my knowledge hasn't been fixed). So either something changed or something is terribly wrong with the upload.

ElFuzzy

Jun 28, 2013
OMG Jim is on the podcat!! The thought crossed my mind, but I didn't know if he moved or not. Yay, welcome welcome.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
You can certainly feel the sausage-fest when there isn't a Susan to stop the sex jokes. Or improve them.

Nice to see Jim on here.

Spectrum_Prez

Aug 19, 2009
Redlin5 said:
You can certainly feel the sausage-fest when there isn't a Susan to stop the sex jokes. Or improve them.

Nice to see Jim on here.
Heh, I've noticed this for a while now. It's pretty amusing how the dynamic changed.

To be honest, I thought Susan was a bit too domineering previously. She's good at moving the agenda along and keeping people on track, but this talent has its downsides as well.

awdrifter

Apr 1, 2011
I can't believe you guys don't have the HDFury2 (or something like that) to get around the HDCP protection. That's how many walkthrough/playthrough players capture their stuff.

Also on the DMCA take down stuff, I hope people who are not monetizing will just shift to other non-US based video hosts. It's a shame that Megaupload went down, but there are alternatives out there that are hosted in countries less strict with the take down laws.

Moblin88

Mar 4, 2013
Susan is awesome and would love to see a 50-50 split of male/female podcasters. Jim is a nice surprise though!

Moblin88

Mar 4, 2013
So I'm loving this podcast, just one note:

Ok so a genre argument is a bad idea, film industry threw this kind of thing out ages ago. There's a reason awards guilds have such broad definitions of genres, because it comes down to way too much semantics if you push someone to define a genre with rigid lines.

Seriously, all that matters is whether people broadly understand what you are talking about when you say something like FPS MMO, people should broadly understand and if they don't, you can go into detail about the specific game you are referencing, otherwise there's no point worrying.

Don't ever push someone to define genres with rigid lines, because they will never be able to with unified agreement.

Otherwise, great podcast.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
To be brutally honest I do like that the publishers are trying to push people onto platforms other than youtube. Mostly because I'm a big believer in competition and if Youtube isn't the single gigantic monopoly on hosting online videos anymore Google might stop using it to experiment with their UI and actually fix a lot of the bugs present so it can compete properly.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Moblin88 said:
Susan is awesome and would love to see a 50-50 split of male/female podcasters. Jim is a nice surprise though!
Agreed.
I find the podcast to be at it's best when both genders are there to chime in on topics.

Susan was easily my favorite guest/speaker/participant of the podcast though.

Spectrum_Prez

Aug 19, 2009
Stryker said:
Redlin5 said:

Nice to see Jim on here.
This is was annoys me the most in the recent podcasts after Susan's departure:
Overflow of dick-jokes AND directionless discussion.

When I started listening to the podcast, it stood out from other gaming-Culture talk-shows precisely because it did not primarily deal with Gaming but the larger, overarching (often hot-button) issues, that no one else wanted to talk about.
It made this podcast special.

I can get talk about Games everywhere else on the net.
What we need is someone addressing these other issues at hand, since Gamers do not yet have an official association or lobby like other segments of society.
Let me second the two main points above: too many immature tangents and directionless discussion.
However, my recommendations would be the opposite of Styker's. I would recommend you guys to narrow down and refocus discussion to directly gaming-related topics. There are so many untapped areas to chat about, rather than these general topics such as bullying on the internet (which are surely important, but have plenty of coverage elsewhere).

I'll keep on listening in to the podcast, but please take the above into consideration.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Stryker said:

Oddly enough... that's what I've been enjoying about them the most, lately.

OT:

When the podcast first started, I could have sworn Jim was photoshopped in or something.

Caffiene

Jul 21, 2010
Stryker said:
http://video.themis-media.com/links/766d9ea2d7d02d7e2dec3a7c47146f9d/mp3/escapist/escapist-podcast/486bb25fa909428c38950949505c594f.mp3
+1

The podcast is unable to be downloaded from the feed. (File Not Found error. Or to be precise, it says 'File not found."' with trailing quotation marks that seem to be a bug of their own)

dakkster

Aug 22, 2011
I miss Susan too, but as long as I don't have to put up with Schuyler's obnoxious laugh all the goddamn time, I'm good.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
Stryker said:

Typo perhaps?
There is a problem with the iTunes version as well, it will show the podcast being there, but when you try and download it I will get a "!" for its status instead of a Played/Unplayed.

Platapus555

Mar 19, 2009
Draconalis said:
Stryker said:

Oddly enough... that's what I've been enjoying about them the most, lately.

OT:

When the podcast first started, I could have sworn Jim was photoshopped in or something.
I'm still convinced he was, and that Josh was just doing an incredible Jim Sterling Ventriloquist Act.

Seriously though, loved having Jim on the podcast, love his videos, but when he is playing off other people, like at a panel or some such, he really shines in my opinion.