Escapist Podcast: 119: XCOM Enemy Within, Nintendo and Space Sims

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Disappointed by the lack of a shout-out to Limit Theory [http://ltheory.com/] when talking about potentially amazing upcoming space sims, that's definitely one of them, possibly among the best of them depending on exactly what a person is looking for in said game and if the dev actually delivers on his vision.

In any case, if anyone wants a space sim to look forward to that isn't Star Citizen, check it out.

Rassmusseum

Oct 11, 2010
Thuggych said:
Rassmusseum said:
Yeah I actually realized that Starfox 64 and TIE fighter style games are completely unrelated. Unfortunately, I didn't realize it til after I sent the email =/

I have tried out the Galactic Starfighter a little bit now and I'm happy to report that it's fairly complex--much more so than the on-rails missions that originally came with the game. There is ship energy management, different types of ships, and different abilities depending on your crew members you bring along. I'm pretty terrible at it still, but its a ton of fun. If anyone does get it, I'd highly recommend you doing the tutorial level before jumping into pvp. Lastly, preferred players can play it on January 14, so Greg, I'd advise you to just wait until then.
If you don't mind me asking, what's the progression system looking like in the expansion? Honestly, the main thing that caused me to leave, and still keeping me away from anything swtor is their absurd monitization structure...So even if it's a great pvp game, if it has the bog-standard MMO-style grindy progression coupled with EA's highly *cough* aggressive f2p micro-transaction storefront, I'm not interested, regardless of how great of a game is under the hood =/
Well you probably aren't gonna be impressed with my answer then. You have to play matches to earn currency to upgrade each individual part of your ship (guns, shields, engines, etc) and, to put it simply, this won't happen overnight. Also, you can buy different looking ships with real money, but they've done a good job so far of making it so wallet warriors don't have a blatant advantage, since all the microtransactions are purely cosmetic.

In short, if you're not invested in the game anymore, this probably isn't gonna pull you back in. It might keep you entertained for awhile if you bring some friends to play it with. But if even the greatest mechanics hold no interest to you in the face of the fact that the game has microtransactions, I wouldn't bother.

Old Father Eternity

Aug 6, 2010
Jadak said:
Disappointed by the lack of a shout-out to Limit Theory [http://ltheory.com/] when talking about potentially amazing upcoming space sims, that's definitely one of them, possibly among the best of them depending on exactly what a person is looking for in said game and if the dev actually delivers on his vision.

In any case, if anyone wants a space sim to look forward to that isn't Star Citizen, check it out.
Also Infinity, if it finally gets properly going.

Kilt'd

Feb 19, 2013
Reputation and Karma were both implemented as systems in Fallout: New Vegas. Karma tracked whether you did inherently good or evil deeds while Reputation was specific to each faction and tracked whether your actions worked towards or against the interests of that group. Each faction also considered your reputation with allied or enemy factions. For example the follower Boone is NCR aligned and having a low reputation with the NCR or having a high reputation with the NCR's main enemy, Caesar's Legion, made it impossible to recruit him normally.

Joseph Harrison

Apr 5, 2010
Had trouble listening to this one without wanting to challenge Janelle to fisticuffs. I have to disagree with her and say the FNV is the best of the series and that it is much better than FO3. On the other hand, I quite agree with Janelle that squadsight is a better skill.

cricket chirps

Apr 15, 2009
Mcoffey said:
Janelle Bonanno said:
New Vegas is the worst of the series.

Did you play Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel?

New Vegas is the epitome of the Fallout series. It's better than the originals and it is hilariously better than Fallout 3 (Really, it's better than Bethesda's entire catalog).

It's always strange to me how polarizing this game is. People seem to love it or hate it, and yet it is clearly the best game in the series. Very strange indeed.

Hopefully since the survivor 2199 thing turned out to be a hoax it means Bethesda still haven't started working on Fallout 4 yet. The longer they put it off, the more likely they'll do the right thing and let Obsidian make it.
I'm terribly sorry for doing this, but i just had to point out the hilarity of what you just said.

"It's always strange to me how polarizing this game is...yet it is clearly the best game in the series."

Yes, polarizing indeed.

Polarizing indeed.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
[http://s2.photobucket.com/user/motw/media/4chantgdndbearSomethingifoundwhilebrowsingtg_6c84aa_3893485.jpg.html]

I'm sorry Justin, these savages clearly seek to ruin your reputation.

AdagioBoognish

Member?
Nov 5, 2013
Draconalis said:
[http://s2.photobucket.com/user/motw/media/4chantgdndbearSomethingifoundwhilebrowsingtg_6c84aa_3893485.jpg.html]

I'm sorry Justin, these savages clearly seek to ruin your reputation.
LOL, probably the funniest thing I've seen today.