Escapist Podcast: 172: Why Did the Dress Make Bigger Headlines than Nimoy or Net Neutrality?

Team Hollywood

Feb 9, 2009
172: Why Did the Dress Make Bigger Headlines than Nimoy or Net Neutrality?

This week, we talk about some recent headlines that have been made in the world of geek culture, including the death of Leonard Nimoy, the passing of a new net neutrality regulation, and the science behind the dress that exploded all over Twitter.

Watch Video

darkalter2000

Sep 11, 2013
Man, the title of this weeks podcast is really callous. Making Nimoy's death part of a popularity contest.

Rhykker

Level 16 Scallywag
Feb 28, 2010
darkalter2000 said:
Man, the title of this weeks podcast is really callous. Making Nimoy's death part of a popularity contest.
I'm sorry you feel that way - it was born from my frustration at the whole "dress" debacle seemingly overshadowing the news of the death of a man that holds a special place in my heart.

Aethren

Jun 6, 2009
Definitely the dress. Don't care about the net thing and never even heard of that dude before.

JustAnotherAardvark

Feb 19, 2015
I appreciate the post, but we all know it's Nimoy...then Nimoy....then in third place, Nimoy
Except for the straights priorities.
Fuck 'em.

Mar 30, 2010
Hmm ... A man's life, a few ISP trying to have their cake and eat it or some nonsensical marketing bullcrap? Tough choice.

Pinkilicious

Sep 24, 2014
http://bad-dragon.com/sales/janinesdress
Only one of those received a sex toy. It must be the most important one!

Sofox

Jan 3, 2014
I haven't listened to the podcast, but I want to say based on the title:

Here in Ireland, Nimoy's photo was on the front page of a newspaper, mentioning his death. The Dress wasn't mentioned anywhere.

Rowan93

Aug 25, 2011
To answer the question in the title while ignoring the podcast, as others have here;

Leonard Nimoy was retired and only making occasional cameo appearances, and was older than the life expectancy of his demographic when he died. His death was certainly a tragedy for his family, and is disappointing news for anyone hoping to see him make another cameo appearance as "Old Spock" in the next Star Trek Reboot film, but feeling grief at the death of people you never even met is just one of the worse parts of the insanity that is celebrity culture, and we should actually be feeling about as we do for the average random stranger hundreds of miles away who dies at an age that, "until the blessed day when science can finally slay that dragon" [http://www.nickbostrom.com/fable/dragon.html], is normal or actually older than average.

Meanwhile the dress is actually some of the most interesting kind of news - "oh look, our human brains are weird in this way many of us weren't aware of before!" - and is the sort of thing that should take priority ahead of 90% of the sort of shit that ends up on headlines, because knowing your brain is fallible and learning one of the ways it tends to fail is extremely valuable.

Of course, that's more a response to the message of the rhetorical question (message being "hey, this useless thing was smaller news than this important thing, screw whoever was responsible"), a response more aligned with reality would be; The Dress was a flash-in-the-pan internet meme that exploded and disappeared in less than a day, as a thing that everybody mentioned but only reported on as far as an explanation of what's up with the picture and then forgot about, with slower-to-react media doing that days after it flashed through tumblr, and from certain perspectives that can look like a huge news craze. Meanwhile Nimoy's death acted as a typical news story would, with a slower but more evenly dispersed spread.

Rhykker

Level 16 Scallywag
Feb 28, 2010
Sofox said:
I haven't listened to the podcast, but I want to say based on the title:

Here in Ireland, Nimoy's photo was on the front page of a newspaper, mentioning his death. The Dress wasn't mentioned anywhere.
God bless your country.

Rowan93 said:
To answer the question in the title while ignoring the podcast, as others have here;

Leonard Nimoy was retired and only making occasional cameo appearances, and was older than the life expectancy of his demographic when he died. His death was certainly a tragedy for his family, and is disappointing news for anyone hoping to see him make another cameo appearance as "Old Spock" in the next Star Trek Reboot film, but feeling grief at the death of people you never even met is just one of the worse parts of the insanity that is celebrity culture, and we should actually be feeling about as we do for the average random stranger hundreds of miles away who dies at an age that, "until the blessed day when science can finally slay that dragon" [http://www.nickbostrom.com/fable/dragon.html], is normal or actually older than average.

Meanwhile the dress is actually some of the most interesting kind of news - "oh look, our human brains are weird in this way many of us weren't aware of before!" - and is the sort of thing that should take priority ahead of 90% of the sort of shit that ends up on headlines, because knowing your brain is fallible and learning one of the ways it tends to fail is extremely valuable.

Of course, that's more a response to the message of the rhetorical question (message being "hey, this useless thing was smaller news than this important thing, screw whoever was responsible"), a response more aligned with reality would be; The Dress was a flash-in-the-pan internet meme that exploded and disappeared in less than a day, as a thing that everybody mentioned but only reported on as far as an explanation of what's up with the picture and then forgot about, with slower-to-react media doing that days after it flashed through tumblr, and from certain perspectives that can look like a huge news craze. Meanwhile Nimoy's death acted as a typical news story would, with a slower but more evenly dispersed spread.
Thanks for the completely well-reasoned, methodical answer. It is... logical.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
Nimoy's death was just a thing that happened. Old actors tend to die. Not much to say beyond RIP.

The dress was actually a debate, with idiots going on about how everyone who sees it differently must be colorblind, or that the whole thing must be a marketing trick and there is no way we are talking about the same picture, and so on.

Even if half as many people would have followed it, they would have generated ten times as many posts, retweets, and upvotes, due to people trying to make their case.

zumbledum

Nov 13, 2011
tbh the faults on you. news has been entertainment for a long time and if you watch entertainment for the lowest common denominator expect to wade through the shit the masses consume. Myself i choose what media i consume and i am sitting here thinking how well net neutrality was covered how nice the tributes to Nimoy were and not having the slightest clue what the dress thing is referring to.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Just another actor, though more notable than most, to have been outlived by Christopher Lee, now age 93 and still acting. When he dies it will be no surprise to anyone, anywhere and I will play some of his many heavy metal albums in tribute.