Escapist Podcast: 50: The 3DS XL & Gamer Angst

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
Seriously, the 3DS XL does not come with a second circle-pad AND it won't be compatible with the Circle-pad Pro. Does Nintendo really know what they're doing with this system? I had thought they wanted that second circle-pad there. Once again, the ball has been dropped.

Eleima

Keeper of the GWJ Holocron
Feb 21, 2010
Oh my goodness, when I listened to the segment on gamer angst, I could kissed every single one of you! I'm so tired of hearing this issue come up, and hearing so much hate when it comes up. This is going to sound very "hippie", but all I want to tell these people runs along the veins of "give peace a chaaaaance". What does it matter if you like your (insert system of choice here)? I like my PC. Does my gaming on a PC prevent you from enjoying gaming on a (insert system of choice here)? No! I'm so, so tired of watching the flame wars on the forums, I'm not even touching those topics, not with a ten foot pole. In fact, I avoid the forums most of the time now, and I know some people who feel the same. And that's a bit sad, really, that it's gotten so bad that some good people are driven away. (Incidentally, that's why I like the Pub Club forums, they're quieter and cozier and much less prone to drama)
It's a shame, in the end, that people don't read the forum rules, or at least, don't come away from reading them with the number one rule, "don't be a jerk". I do, however, agree that interaction on the internet is reduced to a simple thing, the text. You don't have all the other elements and cues that come with social interaction. The same sentence can have a completely different meaning whether it's told with a smile or a frown.

As for stuff I never quite "got"... I consider myself a Trekkie, I've seen each and every single episode of Next Generation, Voyager, Deep Space 9, and a good chunk of Enterprise (I tried, really I did, but I gave up). I never saw the appeal of The Original Series, and some may consider me a heretic for that. I get that it's what started it all, but it just doesn't click for me.
In other geeky stuff, I love Star Wars, Battlestar Galatica, Firefly, RPGs, etc. I haven't gotten into Doctor Who yet, but who knows, maybe one day...

I agree that it's a mistake to say "I love/hate anime": within the genre, you have very different types, styles, stories, etc. I love Neon Genesis Evangelion, Vision of Escaflowne, appreciated Ghost in the Shell, but I would never take the extra step and say "I love anime", because there's just so much I haven't seen.

Great podcast, see you guys next week! =)

ischmalud

Feb 5, 2011
you guys had me scared for a minute thought baldurs gate wouldnt come up but u pulled through in the end! would say that was one of the most fun podcasts in a while, and im not sure if u where refering to me and my banned statemnt about the new design of the webpage but i was comenting on the looks nothing else, having build those things myself u end up putting in stuff that seems real nice on paper but dont work that way in situ :D
ALSO you guys should start a kickstarter for....w/e
top contribution gets susan to back him or her up in a bar fight!!! id pay for that :D

good fun all around!

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Beautiful End said:
Susan Arendt said:
thewanderer41 said:
Now bear with me here.

*clears throat* Space Muffins! A story about a rag tag band of smuggler muffins aboard The Celiac flying through space, following a tip of a large cinnamon deposit (The Spice Must Flow!) located in a nearby system. With both military and local police forces (The Star Bucks) hot on their baking sheet, the crew hides out on a nearby desert planet only to discover the ruins of an ancient civilization. They accidentally re-awaken the creatures when one of the members spill water upon an altar; waking a giant Flying Spaghetti Monster. The Monster appears to be the hive mind of a vast army of pasta related (think macaroni) delectables. Will our heroes be able to escape this deadly city? Can they stop the spread of the ravenous horde? Find out on...Space Muffins!

P.S. Also sub plot of all this being a result of bio-engineered foods gone wrong and this is actually a future universe >.>

Opinions?
GENIUS! Man, I wish I could draw so we could make a comic.
*Ahem*

Because I'm bored and I have some drawing skills, without further ado, I give you: The adventures of that crazy trio known as Space Muffins and their never ending battle against the evil Zpaghetacotl the Ancient (Yeah, I dunno).

No, seriously, get the best artist at The Escpaist and make this happen.
You sir, are my hero.

Also, evil cherry. Please explain.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
But think about what it would sound like if you guys had read a transcription of the last 15 or so minutes of that podcast. (Where you talked about all the stuff you didn't like)
I wouldn't sound any better than a lot of stuff that can be seen on this site and others.
Tone doesn't come across in text. (You might even interpret this comment as me being an asshole)

Some people have a way around it by pointing out all their rhetorical devices, but then you come across as condescending

Really any form of talking over text will automatically be interpreted in the worst possible way

obedai

Mar 19, 2010
You know, your comment about the cthulu mythos are the only thing I disagree with. I normally wouldn't care, but I just found this interesting. I always thought that the cthulu stories that weren't written by lovecraft were the bad ones, while lovecraft's original tales were brilliant. I just think people should just let the stories stand on their own rather than expanding on this mysterious, unexplained thing until it is no longer interesting. I can see how you might not like lovecraft's writing though, it tends to be somewhat wandering and lacking in plot. The thing I always loved about the cthulu mythos was not the world though, I actually find the mythos itself to be sort of dumb, I just think that the imagery and the atmosphere of it was wonderful. I just thought this was kinda interesting, since normally I agree with you guys.

obedai

Mar 19, 2010
I
Eleima said:
As for stuff I never quite "got"... I consider myself a Trekkie, I've seen each and every single episode of Next Generation, Voyager, Deep Space 9, and a good chunk of Enterprise (I tried, really I did, but I gave up). I never saw the appeal of The Original Series, and some may consider me a heretic for that. I get that it's what started it all, but it just doesn't click for me.
In other geeky stuff, I love Star Wars, Battlestar Galatica, Firefly, RPGs, etc. I haven't gotten into Doctor Who yet, but who knows, maybe one day...

Great podcast, see you guys next week! =)
I think I understand your problem with the original series, because it has one real problem that the others don't really have. It doesn't have enough characters. The only ones who are really characterized intensely are kirk, spock, and bones. Every time it's just them going on away missions together with a couple of redshirts who always die. At least that's my problem with it.

Also, watch doctor who. Sooooooooooo good.

Rakor

Mar 9, 2010
Wow, I found myself cringing back a bit this episode. Someone needs something to punch.

I, myself, am quite the avid anime fan. Admittedly sometimes I would slip into the "all non-japanese media sucks" mentality, although I have since realized that this was just me enjoying being weird. In younger days I would shun other popular music in favor of Weird Al. When there was some bunch of hoopla over the local this or that sports team (and this is pittsburgh, so mucho hoopla abound), I would poignantly not give a crap or root the other team. Pretty sure I like being weird. These days I appreciate American music (as long as it's not rap), like, say, classic rock and such (which I kind of grew up on from my dad blaring music through the house), but I still listen almost exclusively to japanese stuff. Just because. And when i say appreciate...I rather like freebird, or iron man, or assorted other classic rock. I just find myself directed more to japanese stuff. I find I like being "That guy." Curious.

And I am in the same boat as you guys with MLP. I watch it occasionally, and yeah its nice animation and decent writing, but it still feels very much a kid show and does not seem like something some 20+ year old dude should fanatically like. Not like, say, Animaniacs. Where it's a show that can just be seen differently by different audiences and adults can genuinely get a bit more mature humor out of it. To each his own I guess.

The big geek culture I don't like or understand? Sports. Yup.

Uriain

Apr 8, 2010
Sylveria said:
When the shooter-bro stereotype stops being so frequently reinforced, people will stop saying "Ugh all you play is shooters? You must be a douche." That generalization exists BECAUSE the people who loudly espouse that all they do is play shooters are, generally, douches.

Oh and I'll start respecting game journalists more when there's a marked decrease of when a game comes from Japan that features even a flash of panty, moe magical girls, or just mostly female characters in general the reaction by the gaming press isn't "Oh this is so wrong and everyone who gets this game is a perverted pedophile rapist and its degrading to women." Maybe someone needs to kick people like Bob's soapbox out from underneath to start that since he seems to go on a "everything is sexist against women!" rant every month.

As far as being accused of being on the take? When there seems to be a rather pervasive trend of game media "professionals" to act as defenders for publishers when they institute anti-consumer programs or just offer terrible quality product and totally dismiss the other side of the argument it doesn't look good and it doesn't take much for people to start making accusations. The whole "The Retake ME3 people are all whiners" mess is quite the highlight of that mindset.
I have to disagree with you on your second and third points here.

On your second point. While the "panty flash/moe magic girl/typical anime female" are a genre defining characteristic, they do allude to that "perverted" aspect in people, for instance: Highschool the Dead (Anime) is RIFE with the panty/bra/partial nudity stuff, and a lot of other anime within this genre do that. It fills a market which some may find to be "perverted pedophile rapist and its degrading to women". The out look it (by proxy) in the eye of the beholder. Just as you or I (making assumption here) have no issues with watching a show about brutal melee combat where bodies are carved up, others might find that hard to watch or not understand how the context can appeal to us. Also, and this is I think what makes the swing for many reviews/journalists is that in a medium which is saturated with Death, the objectification of women, and the over sexualization of pretty much any aspect being depicted, the "panty flash/moe magic girl" comes across in a much more focused light.

In their role as reviewer/journalist/blogger the genere's which aim to hit a certian market (15-20 male audience) with those "panty flash/moe magic girl" type games or content make it a bit dreary to continue to review and look at, so opinions get jaded and ultimately soured. Its just like the Shooter Genre. Its hard to get REALLY excited about anything because its a lot of re-treading of older models. There are Aspects, but not full idea's and I have personally found that panty flash/moe magic girl" type games/anime try and turn an aspect into their main "idea".

Your third point I partially agree with. It can seem sometimes that there is a "counter-baised" from the journalism community. We the consumer say "this is bad" and they say "well not really its got all these things" and both are (in essence) right. The key factor here is (again imo) that the internet has WAY more people willing to jump on the band wagon of "yeah this sucks" instead of putting forth a valid argument and trying to constructivly work a problem out.

To use your example of ME3, we can all agree that the endings were poor. Here is my take on it though. ME3 has its multiple endings, just as they said it would. It follows in the same steps as each other ME game by giving you some choices at the end, but the end result IS the end result. What Bioware did wrong was not differentiate the WAY each ending was shown. If the three endings were still the three endings, but were shown in completely different context, this game would be hailed as the greatest invention since the internet and Bioware would have been elevated to godhood status. They didn't... so they aren't (in many's eyes I still enjoy their work immensely). So right there, we have had a discussion on how what I think could have made the difference in the endings vs what actually happend. Now you would come back with comments or criticism's of my idea and we can discuss and alter.... This is in a perfect internet world mind you. What REALLY happens is that since my idea is not Bashing EA/Bioware/ME3 I am slandered for "defending the evil godless corps" or "Im a noob who doesnt know how to play" etc. Which A) does nothing B) makes the point of trying to be constructive almost useless.

So when reviewers/journalists/bloggers see this kinda stuff all the time on their forums, it gets old.... quickly. Hell, I stopped visiting forums for 2-3 weeks after ME3 came out because I could have a conversation about anything without it decending into flames... I am getting off topic though. Your point of "journalism defending publishers/dev's" has a bit of weight. Unlike the (to coin a phrase) "Unwashed masses" of the internet, they have (because of their job) a bit more of an objective view on WHAT is going on, WHY its going on, and HOW it might be effected/effective (or not).

So in conclusion..

1) Sorry for the GIANT ass post lol
2) I think a bit more discussion (even if its mearly to say "I have to disagree with you because of X reason") will help people become less jaded, and less likely to just follow the trend.

Videogames are a lot like highschool. Everyone wants to be the cool kid, and if they can't, they want to hang out with the cool kid. What do the cool kids do?? make fun of the nerds. In this instance the "Cool kids" is the people who rages the most online and everyone wants to hang with the cool kid. So once there is a group, it doesnt even matter what the "Cool Kids" point was, its now just a throng of people all shouting so they can be heard with the Cool Kids.

Catrixa

May 21, 2011
Thank you SO DANG MUCH for the rant on why disliking/liking something should be freaking OK by now. I have a PC. I love my PC. It has a mouse and keyboard. That is why (and really, that's 90% of why) I love it (the other 10% is League of Legends and stuff that would be harder for me to brain on a console). I also have a Wii, PS3, 360, and a 3DS. Please, Internet, stop calling me entitled because I like my mouse and keyboard. I like controllers too, I'm just way more picky about them, as well as incapable of playing an FPS with them (go go team easy mode for shooters T_T). And I like things that start many hate threads, or are almost universally disliked. And don't like things that people like sometimes, even when, logically, I should be weeping at the fountain of that thing.

The only thing I really can't agree with you guys on is: The only reason I would want Internet anonymity is so I can say mean things to people. I try not to be mean to anyone anywhere anyway. But I was brought up to fear people e-stalking me (leading to irl rape and murder; the things that pop up on the news repeatedly). I've tried to overcome that somewhat, since not everyone wants to rape and murder random people on the internet, but I'd rather have the CHOICE to divulge who I am, rather than it be FORCED. Yeah, I could not invest in, say, Blizzard games if they ever decided to do that, but I remember--at the time--having an account and being afraid that all of my previous posts would just go ahead and point to me, and there would be nothing I could do about it. Maybe this fear is completely baseless, but I feel like, perhaps, I need to take it slowly. Baby steps. I mean, I have a Facebook. Maybe I'll attach it to an account some day. Just don't make me do it; I want to come to this one on my own.

Jaded_Muffin

Nov 8, 2010
I had to do it... I listened to the podcast at work today and I could not wait to get home and draw.

http://backseat-menagerie.deviantart.com/art/Escapist-s-SpaceMuffins-Blue-310709673

http://backseat-menagerie.deviantart.com/art/Escapist-s-SpaceMuffins-Strawberry-310709986

Hope you enjoy :)

Thanks for all the work you guys put into this podcast. I look forward to it every week.

Eleima

Keeper of the GWJ Holocron
Feb 21, 2010
obedai said:
I think I understand your problem with the original series, because it has one real problem that the others don't really have. It doesn't have enough characters. The only ones who are really characterized intensely are kirk, spock, and bones. Every time it's just them going on away missions together with a couple of redshirts who always die. At least that's my problem with it.
Also, watch doctor who. Sooooooooooo good.
Actually, I think my problem with TOS is that it's dated, it's from another era, so to speak, one that I don't identify with at all. Women take a backseat, to be either sedate nurses or seductive temptresses. And Kirk is the stereotypical "cowboy", charging in guns blazing with a "shoot first, ask questions later" philosophy. At least, that's the impression I keep getting, correct me if I'm wrong. I much prefer Picard's reflective, quiet dignitiy, his "I'm gonna be calm, and cool, and collected, and diplomatic, until you push me far enough that I'll have to fight back". I like Janeway's "no nonsense" strength.
And yeah, I'd like to give Doctor Who a try. Not enough hours in a day, though, *sigh*.

Catrixa said:
The only thing I really can't agree with you guys on is: The only reason I would want Internet anonymity is so I can say mean things to people. I try not to be mean to anyone anywhere anyway. But I was brought up to fear people e-stalking me (leading to irl rape and murder; the things that pop up on the news repeatedly). I've tried to overcome that somewhat, since not everyone wants to rape and murder random people on the internet, but I'd rather have the CHOICE to divulge who I am, rather than it be FORCED. Yeah, I could not invest in, say, Blizzard games if they ever decided to do that, but I remember--at the time--having an account and being afraid that all of my previous posts would just go ahead and point to me, and there would be nothing I could do about it. Maybe this fear is completely baseless, but I feel like, perhaps, I need to take it slowly. Baby steps. I mean, I have a Facebook. Maybe I'll attach it to an account some day. Just don't make me do it; I want to come to this one on my own.
Oh my gosh, I could not agree more!! I also was brought up with the all powerful "beware of internet predators" rule. That's why I always and still hide behind a username. I attached my Battle.net account to my Facebook account, because Blizzard forced my hand when I got StarCraft 2, but I've never posted, and it had no other impact. But I certainly didn't like it. I'm certain that if you took every post, every info I dropped on the Internet in different places, you could probably pinpoint who and where I am, I've no illusions on that point. But that's a lot different than simply announcing "my name is XYZ, I live at 4, Wisteria Lane, with my two adorable children". It's not so much privacy, it's about taking simple precautions to safeguard your life and your nearest and dearest. Not that I'm paranoid or some such, but it's like looking both ways before you cross the street in my opinion.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
"Are you so insecure in your own beliefs, that you cannot feel good about yourself unless you're shoving(?) someone else down?"

Oh, I see we have newcomer to mankind here.
Hi, Susan, have a nice stay!

Few tips to comfortably survive here
a)Humans are jerks
b)Humans are Jerks!
c)Humans are JERKS!!!
Humans fuck up environment, humans fuck up relationships, humans fuck up noble goals and fuck up excellent ideas.

P.S. Damn, I am cynical, maybe I should seek some help :/

UNHchabo

Dec 24, 2008
I don't like to associate my forum accounts together for the same reason I stopped using Facebook in general; I like to compartmentalize my social interactions. If people I meet were able to know everything about me right away, they might might not want to be friends due to one aspect of my tastes that puts them off. On the other hand, if someone gets to know me first, then they might be more willing to tolerate things they find out about me.

For instance, if someone knows I'm a gamer before they get to know me, they might just label me as a "gamer" and assume I'm anti-social and mean. But if they get to know me first and find out that I'm a more nuanced person before they find out all of my hobbies, maybe that will change their perception of gaming as a pastime.

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
When you're talking about visceral, quiet actions in FPS's, cutting your finger off in Heavy Rain or 127 Hours cutting the arm off, and how they could do a "behind enemy lines" survival type thing, I was literally yelling "Tomb Raider" at my computer. Because that really looks like what Tomb Raider's going to be.

ThePS1Fan said:
I would have to say my geek/nerd thing I can't get into is steampunk. Never understood the appeal of it.
I really want to like steampunk. Like, I love the aesthetic, I get how it's coming out of a combination of maker culture and a combination with the "pure" Victorian England sensibilities, but I find that I can't.

The problem, for me, comes down to how it tries to act. Most steampunk pretends to be hard scifi, then ignores the inherent scientific limitations of steam power, and freezes energy technology during the industrial revolution while increasing the technology levels in most other areas (transportation, warfare, communications, etc.). During the development of these fictional societies, most (if not all) would have abandoned steam in favor of electricity just like we did in the real world.

And when they start doing things like steam-powered mechanical birds with reasonably high levels of artificial intelligence, things we can't even do with modern technology, I give up.

Completely breaks any suspension of disbelief I could have.

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
obedai said:
You know, your comment about the cthulu mythos are the only thing I disagree with. I normally wouldn't care, but I just found this interesting. I always thought that the cthulu stories that weren't written by lovecraft were the bad ones, while lovecraft's original tales were brilliant. I just think people should just let the stories stand on their own rather than expanding on this mysterious, unexplained thing until it is no longer interesting. I can see how you might not like lovecraft's writing though, it tends to be somewhat wandering and lacking in plot. The thing I always loved about the cthulu mythos was not the world though, I actually find the mythos itself to be sort of dumb, I just think that the imagery and the atmosphere of it was wonderful. I just thought this was kinda interesting, since normally I agree with you guys.
I'm the same way. Especially when that guy in the 40s turned it into a "good vs evil" thing, which was completely contrary to Lovecraft's intent and purpose (so alien you couldn't understand their morality--if they even had any).