Escapist Podcast: 51: Stomping Robots, Roasts and Game Genres

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
bdcjacko said:
the JFK song is better than the Washington song.
I think you're just bias toward hyper-sympathetic telepathic machines. Not that I blame you.

Rakor

Mar 9, 2010
So Susan....Persona 4 the Animation. ;D

I find that whole recommendation problem alot because...I am that guy. I'll put some quotes around that just to further emphasize that, I am "that guy." I watch alot of anime, listen to alot of japanese music, and play alot of videogames, a not-insubstantial part of which being jrpgs. I find it really hard to suggest things to people or pick out some to....convince the non-believers because I simply watch so many from different fields. Action? O yeah. Comedy? But of course. High school love comedy? Oh yes.

Action comedy with giant robots that throw galaxies at each other?

Very possibly.

And I realize how weird some of the crap I watch is. I get tentative to suggest things to the non-initiated. I miss being president of an anime club, where I have free reign to throw any anime suggestions in wherever. Alas.

But seriously, if you liked Persona 4, the anime version is pretty sweet. Even if you haven't played it. If you played it you get the references on top of the great comedy. If you didn't then you get to be surprised by the mystery. My opinion.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
So I tried watching one of the animes that was recommended to me over the weekend. Wanted to kill myself about five minutes in. I'll try the next one on the list, see how that goes.

thewanderer41

Jun 20, 2012
Susan Arendt said:
So I tried watching one of the animes that was recommended to me over the weekend. Wanted to kill myself about five minutes in. I'll try the next one on the list, see how that goes.
Don't die on us Susan!!! It's not worth it! Who will produce our Space Muffins comic/cartoon/movie/video game trilogy when we finally get around to making it?! On a related note, it's unfortunately a strong part of anime culture to do this (I think!). I've often had to hold back friends enthusiastically expunging about their favorite show before I could give a more subdued recap of it. I think it's part of the culture that to accept it is not to accept a genre but to accept the whole thing. I generally enjoyed it because of the unique and short storylines that distinguished the shows from sitcom/reality show/stuff that dominates most American shows. I haven't been into anime in a while so I wouldn't be able to recommend anything even if I wanted to. Though, I've recently been catching some interesting Canadian shows.

Also, if anime killed you, I'm pretty sure I can speak for many others that we'd sorely miss your presence and cheerful contribution to the podcast and video game reviews while we cleaned up the strangely colored puddle that anime left you as >.>

bravetoaster

Oct 7, 2009
Migs said:
Susan, why don't you just mention what *do* you like then people can narrow down the choices of anime titles for you to watch?
Seconded. Unless you just dislike animation as a whole, there's almost certainly something you'd enjoy.

Susan Arendt said:
Is it impolite to ask what it was/why you disliked it? If yes, I apologize. If not, would you mind sharing what it was and what was so unenjoyable about it for you (art style, characters, voice actors, whatever)?

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
bravetoaster said:
Susan Arendt said:
Is it impolite to ask what it was/why you disliked it? If yes, I apologize. If not, would you mind sharing what it was and what was so unenjoyable about it for you (art style, characters, voice actors, whatever)?
Not impolite at all - I just didn't want to assume you guys would be interested.

It was called Gosick, and the writing was so god-awful and nonsensical that I only made it six and a half minutes into the first episode. Just didn't make any bloody sense. Though one issue I had with it I've since been told is likely just a difficulty in localizing a Japanese concept; the protagonist keeps referring to this girl as a "doll," when she clearly isn't a doll. I'm told that's more of an attempt to translate a trope than an actual literal doll. So I'll forgive that one.

thewanderer41 said:
Susan Arendt said:
Don't die on us Susan!!! It's not worth it! Who will produce our Space Muffins comic/cartoon/movie/video game trilogy when we finally get around to making it?! On a related note, it's unfortunately a strong part of anime culture to do this (I think!). I've often had to hold back friends enthusiastically expunging about their favorite show before I could give a more subdued recap of it. I think it's part of the culture that to accept it is not to accept a genre but to accept the whole thing. I generally enjoyed it because of the unique and short storylines that distinguished the shows from sitcom/reality show/stuff that dominates most American shows. I haven't been into anime in a while so I wouldn't be able to recommend anything even if I wanted to. Though, I've recently been catching some interesting Canadian shows.

Also, if anime killed you, I'm pretty sure I can speak for many others that we'd sorely miss your presence and cheerful contribution to the podcast and video game reviews while we cleaned up the strangely colored puddle that anime left you as >.>
<3

You're very sweet. :)

Jaded_Muffin

Nov 8, 2010
Eleima said:
Oh wow, you are the best. That's spot on!! You have gained a DeviantArt follower, I love your style!!
Thank you so much! I really appreciate it. This is quite literally what ran through my head when they said "Draw us Space Muffin Art":

thewanderer41

Jun 20, 2012
Susan Arendt said:
thewanderer41 said:
Susan Arendt said:
[snip]

<3

You're very sweet. :)
Yeah, I get that a lot. It's also almost always followed by "but let's just be friends" :(
Well, I'm married, so yeah. ;)
Fear not fair lady! 'Twas more a lamentation of my life than a pass. Still, a soul is right lucky to have your acquaintance *elaborate bow*....*trips*

Jaded_Muffin said:
Thank you so much! I really appreciate it. This is quite literally what ran through my head when they said "Draw us Space Muffin Art":

3-panel comic?
If Corn is corn and Oat's oat, why's Strawberry go by 'berry? (Banana to Cherry)
Have you seen Straw Muffin?! (Cherry)
Batman's Scarecrow as a muffin O.O

(Blue, Corn, Bran, Oat sit around playing poker)
Have you ever wondered what Crumble's eyes look like under his crumbles? (Oat) (fly in the background)
(Crumble runs by swinging a maul at fly, chasing it away)
No(Blue, Corn, Bran)

Can I get an autograph?

Migs

Oct 13, 2010
Susan

Gosick, Ah, I remember that well.
You need more than 6 minutes to delve into this one. Try at *least* 6 episodes, which is what it took for me, to get settled in.

But, as yet, we still don't know what you actually are interested in genre/location/time frame/concept wise to even recommend you anything - so put finger to keyboard and plonk away at it!

Perhaps we can even shorten the existing list you already have with more definitive choices that will not make you spit it out after 5 minutes.

I will give you one Stern recommendation though - Summer Wars [http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=6249]. Its a movie(roughly 2 hours long) - already dubbed into english(good dub) - its even on netflixs [http://www.google.co.za/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=summer%20wars%20on%20netflix&source=web&cd=2&sqi=2&ved=0CFIQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.netflix.com%2FSearch%3Fv1%3Dsummer%2Bwars&ei=b2HzT9i5BciKhQfR7bHPCQ&usg=AFQjCNGJOQF6H0dxoPsBYGOUmo_BLlBaAQ]

For someone who is quite heavy into Gaming\Internet Culture, I figure you will like this film.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
Susan, watch King of the Hill, greatest of all animation.

Also Washington, washington, 6 stories tall and made of radiation.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Susan Arendt said:
Okay, well, I'll follow your advice: What kind of stuff are you into? Space stuff? Brawlers? Romance? School life? Sci-fi? Short animes? Long animes?

I'm not that into anime. I'd say I only like around...5 animes. The rest I watch them and I get tired of them fast because they all just seem the same to me. Same characters, same story, etc. That would be my reason for not liking anime. However, my reasons for liking the few anime that I like are stronger (I.E: Unique plot, interesting characters, etc).

I'm not very anime-savvy but maybe I, or others, can think or something good to recommend. Honestly and respectfully, it just doesn't seem like you're the kind of person who would enjoy anime overall. But if you still wanna give it a shot, then do share your thoughts with us.

OT: I've had friends try and shove FPS down my throat. I enjoy a CoD match every now and then but that's about it. Gears, Halo, Battlefield, CoD....they all look and feel the same to me. I know they're not but that's how it feels like. I do wanna play with my friends online, but I don't wanna play just FPS. Why not Portal? Or Journey?

On the other hand, I'm guilty of trying to get my family and friends into my gaming/geek culture. Most of my friends and my entire family are not into stuff I like. I tried to get them to like some of the things I like for the longest time, mostly because I just wanted to have someone to play with. I even bought my big brother a couple of racing games I know he would like. But to no avail. So after a while, I just gave up. :[

mykalwane

Oct 18, 2008
Ok first off, I completely understand. The Back to the Future thing is something that I keep hoping to be real. Though I know why, just not as many people out there that enjoy it. I loved that I got to ride the ride before it got taken down. Though it is a bit of a sad day that they took it down. Been tempted to buy the 25th aniversity just because they do a feature on it. Love the movie, and it is my equivalent of Star Wars.

The thing is with anime, go with the rule of three. Watch the show for 3 episodes. If there is nothing in it that makes you want to watch more stop watching and go on to something else. Its what I do for cheeking out shows others want me to. Even though I didn't really care for Dallas on TNT, but I gave it 3. It allows me to cheek out shows that I might never cheek out before. Red Dwarf being the best example of this. I without watching the show came up with one of the jokes. Blame it on the collective consciousness. The thing is watching the 3 of the show I fell in love. So many joyous movement come from the show. Take for another example is the anime Princess Princess which is a comedy involving pretty men dressing up as women to appease the men so they score well on tests. Sounds completely horrible, but the same gal that hailed Clamp as god suggesting it. Meant that it couldn't be all bad. Enjoyed the show, and still cracks me up. Watch it many of times over and over because it is so good. Would of never of tried it if I didn't give it the three. It working so well that I keep going that way on every show. Gave it a try, and see what happens.

Reptiloid

Nov 10, 2010
Regarding the Back to the Future thing at the start of the podcast... could someone please elaborate on that?

What I'd like to know, is... why is this a big deal at all? Is everyone seriously waiting for the week in which one of the movies took place? Is there going to be some sort of celebration? Is something special gonna happen, OTHER than just the fact that it's the same date?

And you're seriously saying your feelings get hurt if someone is trolling about the date? Really? WHY DO YOU CARE? What are you gonna do when the time comes, sit there with a grin on your face thinking about the good times when you watched a movie? Blow a party horn?

I actually have a better understanding of the people trolling BttF fans in this case, it is quite funny. Personally I find it fucking hilarious how ridiculous it is to get this excited over something so insignificant.

mykalwane

Oct 18, 2008
Ok the thing is more of disappointment of the realization of something that is never really going to happen. The thing is there is the date shown, and having it be real in some sense. It is about the same as having the hope of seeing the Tardis outside your house, you go out to see it with the hopes that it might be real. It looks so real that it might be that you that touch it hoping that it isn't a dream. That is when you find out it was made out of cardboard. You now inspect it seeing how lame it is, even pissed that you ever thought of the possibility. Then latter drinking a beer you feel so pathetic for even thinking it could be real.

That is what it is a big deal. Is capsulizes all those bad presents and bad moments into a single moment of what the world isn't. That no matter how much you pretend that sweater shape present might be a disguise for a cool present. That it is nothing more then a sweater.

Calcium

Dec 30, 2010
Thinking about different genres of game, I wonder if there's been a co-op horror. Not the Resident Evil 4 kind, I'm thinking more along the lines of co-op Amnesia. Perhaps it could draw on the idea of watching each other's backs in many situations, meaning that neither player would be getting the full picture of what's going on, having to trust their partner to keep an eye on things that they arn't. Also could be interesting to have puzzles which require being split up to some degree.

Can almost imagine scenarios like "Okay, one of us needs to crawl through that pipe, probably me, whilst you keep that faulty pump going, or else I'll end up drowning in whatever that rather putrid looking stuff is. Oh, and when standing at the pump you'll be very visible to that creature that might have been following us earlier..." Something like that, playing on the balance between protecting yourself whilst being forced to let your partner suffer kinda intrigues me. If the player at the pump hid for too long to make sure they avoided the creature, their lack of nerves could end up getting their friend killed. That panic of "Oh God I need to go back to the pump or I'll have drowned him" could perhaps add to the experience and fear.

I can understand though, if you're playing with a friend then chances are the atmosphere is lessened as you don't have the same sense of vulnerability, but the idea still interests me.

floogles

Mar 10, 2012
Does anyone know what the music is that plays at 1:02:00 in the podcast? It used to be listed but I can't see it anywhere in the podcast notes...

...I have to recommend it to my friend and make him listen to it!