Escapist Podcast - Comics and Cosplay: 009: Is DC Comics The Bad Guy? Not Really.

Team Hollywood

Feb 9, 2009
009: Is DC Comics The Bad Guy? Not Really.

Welcome to the first video Escapist Comics and Cosplay Podcast. This week, we talk about the horrible New 52 version of Lobo, the controversy (that was resolved in between our podcast recording and this afternoon) over DC's apparent refusal to allow the Superman logo on a memorial statue, the WB's fake out marketing, and the new Danger Mouse. There's a lot we cover, but fortunately you don't have to worry about spoilers this week. Too much, anyway.

Watch Video

Mave

Jan 26, 2014
Sigh I just don't get the new 52 hate, I do agree that vertigo merged in the new 52 it's weird, but imho I think most of the new 52 comics are doing fine, I'm loving Aquaman , JL Dark, JlI, Wonder woman is definitely my favorite one, most of the batfamly is doing really well... just batwing kind of eww..., Harley quinn new comic is amazing!, Super Girl, red lanterns, I could go on for a while.

Of course there are some that I just don't like, world finest ... I miss old pg and huntress.

I don't get why do people want DC to become Marvel, sigh..... I get the feeling that Marvel fans rage at DC for not being Marvel.

ACman

Apr 21, 2011
Joe Gamer said:
That music...
That music whose volume is so far in excess of the rest of the audio.

While cool does it need to be 30 seconds long? Did it need to be 10 decibels louder than, and drown out, the host introducing himself?

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Isn't the future female batman show they're describing at the end basically Birds of Prey? It's been forever since I saw that show, but it basically sounds like the same premise.

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
Please knock it off with the intro music. It's insanely loud compared to the rest of the audio and lasted for nearly 2 minutes, totally drowning out whatever was said at the beginning.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
The way you handled the music at the end. That's how you should do it at the beginning. ;p

Your intros aren't THAT awkward Ross. Stop trying to hide them. xD

As for the podcast, to butcher Bob's phrase; "Comics! Weird be they!"

I've yet to hear much of anything about the new 52 that makes me want to get into comics right now. Wasn't that their point?

As for Victor though, I don't mind him anymore than any other Batman villain. He's no more subtle than Penguin, Poison Ivy, or the Joker (especially that new one ;p). That said, he is very generic. Pretty much just a serial killer who likes to kill. Pretty boring for a comic book where the hero dresses like a bat. xD

Though, he's kind of the most "realistic" villain. No powers, gadgets, or a vast source of money. Just a guy who kills people because he wants to. Not saying that makes him interesting on it's own though. Like I said, generic and boring for a superhero comic. Like all the other villains he gets out of prison/the asylum all the time, when he'd probably just be put to death or killed by someone a long time ago.

As for the genderswap thing. I'm for a woman taking over for Batman "Batman Beyond" style too. Be neat to see how they would handle that. :)

Gorr

May 9, 2012
I am relatively new to comics, I have for some time thought about what DC comics I should give a try (apart from the two "Beyond" books). But this podcast didn't really encourage me to give any of the "main" DC books a try.

Donbett1974

Jan 28, 2009
Olas said:
Isn't the future female batman show they're describing at the end basically Birds of Prey? It's been forever since I saw that show, but it basically sounds like the same premise.
The next batman is Terry Mcginnis. I know I know he has a penis so we can wait for the 3rd official batman to make female or cut off good old Terry's bits and pieces. (this part is for the people on the podcast)It's understandable you forgot about Terry it's not like he had a popular show and comic of one the most popular character in comic book history.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Donbett1974 said:
Olas said:
The next batman is Terry Mcginnis. I know I know he has a penis so we can wait for the 3rd official batman to make female or cut off good old Terry's bits and pieces. (this part is for the people on the podcast)It's understandable you forgot about Terry it's not like he had a popular show and comic of one the most popular character in comic book history.
I'm not unaware of the show Batman Beyond, I was a big fan of it as a kid, however the character they describe in the podcast: a successor to Batman who's a female and who fights crime under an original moniker sounds almost perfectly like the Huntress, aka Helena Kyle, aka the daughter of Bruce Wayne and Selina Kyle from the show Birds of Prey.

The show didn't stay on the air very long, probably because it wasn't very good, and I doubt anyone still considers it canon (though the same could probably be said for Batman Beyond as well).

Donbett1974

Jan 28, 2009
Olas said:
I'm not unaware of the show Batman Beyond, I was a big fan of it as a kid, however the character they describe in the podcast: a successor to Batman who's a female and who fights crime under an original moniker sounds almost perfectly like the Huntress, aka Helena Kyle, aka the daughter of Bruce Wayne and Selina Kyle from the show Birds of Prey.

The show didn't stay on the air very long, probably because it wasn't very good, and I doubt anyone still considers it canon (though the same could probably be said for Batman Beyond as well).
Terry is the clone/son of Bruce order by Amanda Waller when batman stopped fighting crime thinking the world needed a batman. Plus Terry is loved by most fans of batman.