Escapist Under New Management (Again)

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Hey friends. It's Russ. If you haven't yet heard, changes are afoot.

https://medium.com/@russpitts/the-last-of-escapist-magazine-5dd4f852703a

The Escapist was recently purchased by Enthusiast Gaming (http://enthusiastgaming.com/), and their first act was asking me to come back and help re-launch the site.

You will undoubtedly have questions. I have very few answers right now. Almost everything is still being decided, and I will try very hard to keep you al updated as we go.

I respect and appreciate your contributions as Escapist community immensely. While we will be making changes, I want you all to feel like your commitment to this site and community have not been discarded. To that end, I'm going to be reaching out to the moderators soon to start the conversation about how to move forward here. Feel free to post thoughts. I'll do my best to keep up.

As for how the rest of the site will be operated, what content will be produced, direction, schedules ... TBD and stay tuned.

Thanks.

-R

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
Cheers Russ, I'm looking forward to seeing where this is all going .

I believe one of my fellow moderators has sent you a link to our Discord group, but if you want me to PM you a new one, or have another preferred means of communication, feel free to shoot me a message.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
JoJo said:
Cheers Russ, I'm looking forward to seeing where this is all going .

I believe one of my fellow moderators has sent you a link to our Discord group, but if you want me to PM you a new one, or have another preferred means of communication, feel free to shoot me a message.
I don't think I received that.

darrinwright

Oct 1, 2008
Excited to see what happens. I just logged back into my account for the first time in a LONG time after hearing the news.

Dosbilliam

Feb 18, 2011
Country
US
HazardousCube said:
Let's hope the SS Escapist II boat doesn't end up shipwrecked like SS Escapist I
We'll start calling it the SR-2. That'll make certain it doesn't crash that badly. :D

MtnGamer

Jun 21, 2012
A bunch of us old-timers read the news a few days back, excited to see what is coming down the pipeline.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Welcome back. Now we can stop the bleeding.
If you're back, does that mean Susan's back too?

Azazcyh

Chocobo Wrangler
Jul 3, 2008
First time logging on in ages, and I gotta say, I'm feeling pretty optimistic! Looking forward to seeing what you've got in store, Russ

Dosbilliam

Feb 18, 2011
Country
US
Souplex said:
Not officially, but she'll still probably be giving advice/smacking him in the head on occasion. :D

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Souplex said:
Not really. I mean, we're still married, but she's not working with me on this.

Absimilliard

Only you can read this.
Nov 4, 2009
Welcome back! And good luck with the renovation! I was really happy when I saw the news.
You're probably going to drown in comments and tips, but I'll add mine anyway: this site has a lot of content on it, but you really wouldn't know that when you look at the front page. Present and make use of the assets you've already got.
And again: really happy.

Jeteye

Escapist +
Feb 7, 2011
Country
United States of America
Welcome back Russ. It's nice to have you back.

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
Hope you figure figure out the revenue stream thing. Editorial staff that aren't paid very much;

1) Aren't very good at what they do
2) Become radicalized

Gaming press as a whole seems to be struggling, even the likes of PCGamer have turned into complete this year.

I'm really only here for the weekly Yahtzee, but the Escapist is the only gaming site I still visit.

aceman67

Jan 14, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OeZb-yenr0 - The Escapist, Politics, and How Games Journalists Ruined Games Journalism by CLS Side Quest

At the risk of being banned, because lets face it, this website has a reputation for banning people for trivial reasons, I'm going to leave this here, and hope that the new editorial and writing staff take some, if not all (one can hope right?) of what is said to heart.

I have been a long-standing reader of this website for years, and I want to see it succeed, but not if it's just going to be more of the same.

Dosbilliam

Feb 18, 2011
Country
US
Considering that getting Bob back was one of the first things Russ did, that states an intent, at the very least, to bring things to a more centralized point. Considering it's been 7 years since he was involved in anything here outside of being on the ending credits of ZP, I'd imagine some of the more recent missteps are going to be reversed in as short a time as possible. :p

crazygameguy4ever

Jul 2, 2012
hopefully the flagship captain of the site Yahtzee will continue to stay here with Zero Punctuation.. it's weathered that storms and still strong..

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
crazygameguy4ever said:
hopefully the flagship captain of the site Yahtzee will continue to stay here with Zero Punctuation.. it's weathered that storms and still strong..
Under US law they're technically responsible to keep him employed since he emigrated to the United States, Yahtzee isn't going anywhere except voluntarily and if he does he'll have to leave the US where he's moved, sooo...

Yahtzee is probably one of the reasons why there's still a site at all.

Also I strongly recommend reading Russ' full writeup on this on Medium, it's fascinating stuff and got me excited.
https://medium.com/@russpitts/the-last-of-escapist-magazine-5dd4f852703a

happy_turtle

Apr 11, 2010
Wow, just randomly came back out of morbid curiosity to see what state the forums were in. Only to be greeted with this news. Good luck to all on the revamp, this used to be my favourite gaming site back in the day.