Escapist Under New Management (Again)

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Quick note on a new forums Code of Conduct: It's in progress. Once the rest of the editorial team is fully in place, we'll be meeting with the mods to get their feedback/blessing on the proposed new rules. This should happen in the next few weeks.

One thing I have already (re)implemented in the interim is heavy enforcement of the rule against harassment and/or shitposting against staff members and contributors. I have asked the mods to interpret this liberally. Our forums are not provided as a place to promote hate or publicize grudges against Escapist or its staff.

More when there is more.

Vorlayn

Jun 3, 2010
I wish you luck. The place is in a rather sorry state right now but with a lick of paint here and a generous dollop of hopefully apolitical new content there it can be an awesome place again.

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
I just wanted to pop in to say, as someone who used to think of The Escapist as the best gaming site on the internet, I super excited to hear all this.

This site was amazing under you, Steve Butts, and Susan.
I remember something started feeling off about things after Susan left, and then it took a giant nose dive right when Greg Tito got canned - I canceled my Publisher's Club membership as soon as I found out he had been as far as I could tell unceremoniously fired. I don't know what was going on behind the scenes beyond bits and pieces I've managed to pick up here and there.

But! I am definitely glad that you're back and the site is coming back - I've been kind of lurking about occasionally poking my head in to see what's going on and then being sad. So being able to poke my head be able to look forward to what's coming is quite a nice change of pace!

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
This was posted in the wrong forum. It took me two weeks to see it, and I check the site almost every day. Nothing should be posted in Site Information and Announcements. Ever.

It was a bad idea that only serves to ensure people don't see the important announcements. I'm not going to check a forum only for announcements, just in case of the rare occasion that there happens to a new announcement. They should stickied in Off-topic if you want people to see them. They can be moved here after they stop being relevant, I guess.

Dosbilliam

Feb 18, 2011
Country
US
Drathnoxis said:
This was posted in the wrong forum. It took me two weeks to see it, and I check the site almost every day. Nothing should be posted in Site Information and Announcements. Ever.
Isn't that why the little *New!* icon appears near the forum name, so you can say "Oh hey look, there's something new in a barely-used section of the forum! :O" instead of being "When the heck was this thread made? Why was I not informed about this new thread?"

Nomad

Dire Penguin
Aug 3, 2008
This sounds like great news to me - welcome back. The Escapist has been a part of my standard browsing rotation for a decade at this point, but during the last few years I've kept it there mostly out of tradition since there hasn't been much going on here - and I had started to worry that one day I'd just be greeted by a permanent 404. I'm glad to know that won't happen any time soon, and that this place might be getting a little more lively again.

Drathnoxis said:

It was a bad idea that only serves to ensure people don't see the important announcements. I'm not going to check a forum only for announcements, just in case of the rare occasion that there happens to a new announcement. They should stickied in Off-topic if you want people to see them. They can be moved here after they stop being relevant, I guess.
For my part, I probably would've missed it if it had been anywhere but here - I expect to find site information and announcements under site information and announcements, and don't always visit off topic when I stop by.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Dosbilliam said:
Drathnoxis said:
Isn't that why the little *New!* icon appears near the forum name, so you can say "Oh hey look, there's something new in a barely-used section of the forum! :O" instead of being "When the heck was this thread made? Why was I not informed about this new thread?"
Is there one for new threads too? I thought it was just for new posts in threads you've looked at or something. I've never noticed because I don't waste my time going to the main forum directory, I just use the dropdown menu.

Nomad said:
For my part, I probably would've missed it if it had been anywhere but here - I expect to find site information and announcements under site information and announcements, and don't always visit off topic when I stop by.
And yet you always go to Site Information and Announcements even though it hasn't had a post in years? Weird.
[hr]
Anyway, the proof is that this thread only has 28 comments, despite being the official thread while Redlin's was made after and is barely coherent as to the topic but still has 3 pages.

Dosbilliam

Feb 18, 2011
Country
US
Drathnoxis said:
Dosbilliam said:
Drathnoxis said:
Is there one for new threads too? I thought it was just for new posts in threads you've looked at or something. I've never noticed because I don't waste my time going to the main forum directory, I just use the dropdown menu.
I believe so. I was running through multiple forums groups earlier trying to see if there was anything about ZP not being posted, so I've seen most of the still-used areas recently. :p

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I only popped over after seeing Bob had been rehired, wondering if anything had changed arond here. Looks like it's all still TBD, though, so...uhhh...I'll just be over there.

Dosbilliam

Feb 18, 2011
Country
US
I'm mostly waiting for Russ to say they're taking submissions again, since there's a few things that need...correcting when it comes to my own work. >:D

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Dosbilliam said:
I'm mostly waiting for Russ to say they're taking submissions again, since there's a few things that need...correcting when it comes to my own work. >:D
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/editorials/17915-Editor-s-note-supplemental

James Nettum

May 19, 2011
Azazcyh said:
First time logging on in ages, and I gotta say, I'm feeling pretty optimistic! Looking forward to seeing what you've got in store, Russ
This is my first post since... *checks history* ... February of 2015. I stopped follow the Escapist around that time. I'm really excited to see what comes next!

EDIT: Nope, last one was in April in support of LRR before they left.

Dosbilliam

Feb 18, 2011
Country
US
tippy2k2 said:
Dosbilliam said:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/editorials/17915-Editor-s-note-supplemental
Yep, saw it on Twitter not long after being announced. Got a rather large bone to pick with my Rising Tide review. :p

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
James Nettum said:
This is my first post since... *checks history* ... February of 2015. I stopped follow the Escapist around that time. I'm really excited to see what comes next!
Huh, same here. Almost like something happened in February of 2015. <.<;

Welcome back, Russ, and best of luck getting the big e back on its feet. Looking forward to seeing what you've got up your sleeves.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
I hope this means a revival for the site. Also, has anyone else had their profile avatar and just profile stuff just gone? Mine won't let me add an avatar back to my profile and all the stuff I had on my page is gone :(

EDIT: Okay, so it shows my avatar on the forums at least.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
chozo_hybrid said:
I hope this means a revival for the site. Also, has anyone else had their profile avatar and just profile stuff just gone? Mine won't let me add an avatar back to my profile and all the stuff I had on my page is gone :(

EDIT: Okay, so it shows my avatar on the forums at least.
I think mine is acting similar as your is, but my guess its part of the problems that were described with the prior editorials with the software being out of date and neglected. The way I took the comments is there might be an overhaul in the next few months and if that is the case I doubt there would be many fixes to current problems until the new software/updated software is rolled out.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Well huh. It seems whenever I return to mourn I get some form of surprise. Don't wanna get too hopeful, but damn would it be nice to have the site back!