Escapist, you're my only hope...

Snarky Username

Elite Member
Apr 4, 2010
So today, I decided to settle down with a nice game of Oblivion, so I clicked on the shortcut and thought "Oh boy, it's time to spend 5 hours wandering around doing absolutely nothing!" but then I read the message saying "Oblivion will now detect your video hardware and set your video options accordingly" I thought "That's weird I thought Oblivion already detected my video hardware and set my video accordingly" Well when I got to the screen, I noticed that the "Continue" button was missing, and when I went to the load game screen, I found all my save data was gone!

And this was when my shit was lost.

I had about 100 hours saved and I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I downloaded it from steam but none of my other steam games have been erased. Does anyone know what could have happened/ if I can get my data back? I'm scared...

EDI: I've never modded it, I usually save that for my second runthrough

AceAngel

May 12, 2010
Did you update it? Maybe mod it? It usually happens with those two things.

Either way, cheat if you want, or use Recuva tool incase it was deleted.

Snarky Username

Elite Member
Apr 4, 2010
AceAngel said:
Did you update it? Maybe mod it? It usually happens with those two things.

Either way, cheat if you want, or use Recuva tool incase it was deleted.
I haven't touched the game for a few days, I have updated Steam, though, if that helps.

MisterShine

Him Diamond
Mar 9, 2010
Have you checked the folder where the save files are kept? If you can name the files when save in morrowind (I can't remember), try searching your C:\ drive for the file names if you can't find them in the files. It could just be the game works with profiles, and for some reason you're in a different one. This happened to me a couple times in FO3

good luck!

Snarky Username

Elite Member
Apr 4, 2010
MisterShine said:
Have you checked the folder where the save files are kept? If you can name the files when save in morrowind (I can't remember), try searching your C:\ drive for the file names if you can't find them in the files. It could just be the game works with profiles, and for some reason you're in a different one. This happened to me a couple times in FO3

good luck!
I just did some digging around, and I still have all my save files exactly where I left them, nothing has changed and I haven't moved them anywhere. They're there, but the game isn't reading them for some reason.

Calobi

Dec 29, 2007
Try either detecting problems through Steam or just cutting the save files somewhere else and then moving them back.

Kuchinawa212

Apr 23, 2009
sorry dude, this isn't my cup o' tea, but I think starting over is the one sure way to get your stuff back. More tweaking may make it corrupted or something

MisterShine

Him Diamond
Mar 9, 2010
Calobi said:
Try either detecting problems through Steam or just cutting the save files somewhere else and then moving them back.

Try this!

Snarky Username said:
I just did some digging around, and I still have all my save files exactly where I left them, nothing has changed and I haven't moved them anywhere. They're there, but the game isn't reading them for some reason.
Couple questions/answers:

1. Have you put in any mods since you lost your save files? This sounds like the files are incompatible with a new mod if this is the case, try uninstalling them.

2. Does the game use some kind of profile system? If it does, try making sure you're in your usual profile. Or it could be that steam isn't logged in properly? Log in and out again.

edit: Also try a google search on this, see what comes up.

3. Last resort: Take your save files and put em in your documents folder, then uninstall the game and have steam delete EVERYTHING. DL it again and reinstall, start the game up, make a new game, then exit out, then move your old save files back in the saves folder. Hope it helps!

Snarky Username

Elite Member
Apr 4, 2010
I believe I found the problem! For some reason, instead of going to the established folder for Oblivion, the game instead makes a new one. Now that we've identified the problem, does anyone know how to fix this?

Snarky Username

Elite Member
Apr 4, 2010
MisterShine said:
Calobi said:

Try this!

Snarky Username said:
Couple questions/answers:

1. Have you put in any mods since you lost your save files? This sounds like the files are incompatible with a new mod if this is the case, try uninstalling them.

2. Does the game use some kind of profile system? If it does, try making sure you're in your usual profile. Or it could be that steam isn't logged in properly? Log in and out again.
1. No, I've never modded yet.

2. Not that I know of.

MisterShine

Him Diamond
Mar 9, 2010
Snarky Username said:
I believe I found the problem! For some reason, instead of going to the established folder for Oblivion, the game instead makes a new one. Now that we've identified the problem, does anyone know how to fix this?
Check out my updated post above.

Also, try moving the save files into the "new one".

Snarky Username

Elite Member
Apr 4, 2010
MisterShine said:
Snarky Username said:
Check out my updated post above.

Also, try moving the save files into the "new one".
I've tried that, but whenever I do, it completely ignores it. Also I'm waiting to try the third option for a bit. I want to try everything else first. I would hate it if I accidentally erase my save files forever just to find out I

MisterShine

Him Diamond
Mar 9, 2010
Snarky Username said:
I've tried that, but whenever I do, it completely ignores it. Also I'm waiting to try the third option for a bit. I want to try everything else first. I would hate it if I accidentally erase my save files forever just to find out I
Have you tried making new save files for this "new folder"? And then tried loading games from those? Let's make sure the game can still save/load properly at all.

Also, if you DO have to reinstall, you'd keep your save files in your documents folder and put them back after you've reinstalled. Either the game is messed up and not looking at them correctly, or the save files are so corrupted that Oblivion just can't read them anymore, either way you're kinda in a jam.

Snarky Username

Elite Member
Apr 4, 2010
MisterShine said:
Snarky Username said:
Have you tried making new save files for this "new folder"? And then tried loading games from those? Let's make sure the game can still save/load properly at all.

Also, if you DO have to reinstall, you'd keep your save files in your documents folder and put them back after you've reinstalled. Either the game is messed up and not looking at them correctly, or the save files are so corrupted that Oblivion just can't read them anymore, either way you're kinda in a jam.
I just deleted the new configuration settings in the new folder and replaced them with the contents of the old folder, but for some reason it just keeps using the old configuration. I tried saving with the new game and it worked fine and still loads. I'm not sure how, because I searched my computer and I never found the new save file...

Life_Is_A_Mess

Sep 10, 2009
Did you buy it? I can't see Steam giving expensive games.
If they did, I guess it would be only for a limited time.

Jackalb

Dec 31, 2009
Hah Pwned.

Unfortunately I've had multiple similar incidents with Morrowind :'(