Escapists! Help Me Choose a New Laptop!

bart12300

Feb 4, 2009
twistedshadows said:
Asus G50Vt-X1: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9050279&type=product&id=1218012519873
You might want to take a look at this one, it's almost the same as the other Best Buy Asus (the X5) and it doesn't seem to have problems with crashing like many of the people who bought the X5 seem to have. Best Buy misprinted one the specs for the X1, the hard drive actually has 7200RMP (as opposed to the incorrect 5400), as any other site featuring it will say. It also has a better graphics card than the others you're looking at (aside from the X5 anyway).
That was originally one of my first choices by far, but it's not carried anywhere near where I live. I saw it an instantly wanted it, but they don't do shipping either. Don't suppose there is a work around for it other than driving a few hundred miles or so?

twistedshadows

Apr 26, 2009
bart12300 said:
That was originally one of my first choices by far, but it's not carried anywhere near where I live. I saw it an instantly wanted it, but they don't do shipping either. Don't suppose there is a work around for it other than driving a few hundred miles or so?
Oh man, I didn't realize that. I've been shopping for a laptop, too, and that one is definitely my forerunner. Hmm, I wonder if driving to Arkansas from Colorado is worth it.

Well, that being the case, from your listed choices I'd either go for the MSI or the Asus X5. The X5 scares me a little because 1 in 10 people seem like they have major issues with it. But it does have a slightly better graphics card, so it depends on what you're really looking for and whether you're willing to risk the negative reviews.

Shapsters

Dec 16, 2008
I don't know much about laptops gaming wise, but this Asus I have is good, and the costumer service is great! The plug is broke, and within a week it was back in my house and fixed, free of charge!

bart12300

Feb 4, 2009
twistedshadows said:
bart12300 said:
Oh man, I didn't realize that. I've been shopping for a laptop, too, and that one is definitely my forerunner. Hmm, I wonder if driving to Arkansas from Colorado is worth it.

Well, that being the case, from your listed choices I'd either go for the MSI or the Asus X5. The X5 scares me a little because 1 in 10 people seem like they have major issues with it. But it does have a slightly better graphics card, so it depends on what you're really looking for and whether you're willing to risk the negative reviews.
I'm trying to remember that the reviews on websites are normally biased a bit. The majority of people who buy a product and don't have problems or love it won't review it, while the majority of people who have problems or hate it will. But 1 out of 10 is pretty high regardless. I'm pretty much cutting out the newegg.com Asus.

Does anyone know how much better the X5's video card is compared to the MSI's card? The X5 has a GeForce 9800 GS (256-bit) while the MSI has a GeForce 9600M GT (128-bit).

twistedshadows

Apr 26, 2009
bart12300 said:
I'm trying to remember that the reviews on websites are normally biased a bit. The majority of people who buy a product and don't have problems or love it won't review it, while the majority of people who have problems or hate it will. But 1 out of 10 is pretty high regardless. I'm pretty much cutting out the newegg.com Asus.

Does anyone know how much better the X5's video card is compared to the MSI's card? The X5 has a GeForce 9800 GS (256-bit) while the MSI has a GeForce 9600M GT (128-bit).
That is true about reviewers. It's hard not to worry about what they say sometimes, though.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-Games-on-Laptop-Graphic-Cards.13849.0.html

The 9600 isn't bad, it's just not quite as good as the 9800.

Dommyboy

Jul 20, 2008
TeaBaggin said:
bart12300 said:
The only thing turning me off about the F50SV-X1 is the processor speed (2.0 rather than 2.26) and the 32 bit Vista. Honestly I don't know whether I should go for a 32 bit or 64 bit Vista computer. All I know is that 64-bit would allow all 4GB of the RAM to be used rather than just 3 of it.

And I'm wondering whether or not the 1GB video card would be worthwhile. It seems like at the maximum resolution the laptop offers, a 512MB would run just as fast as a 1GB. Any thoughts or insights? Haha.
Vista 32 has a limit of 16GB of RAM so no problems there, i'd stay awway from 64 if you want a stable game playing machine.
64 bit is fine for game playing. I have been using a 64bit OS for ages now and I'm able to run every game I attempt to. Every 32bit game can be run in 32bit on a 64bit OS and it's still perfectly stable.

Though maybe I just got the luck of the draw.