Escapists I need your opinion on something

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
Is it weird to go to the cinema by yourself?

I ask this as just had a mate bail out on me from seeing The Green Hornet tonight, only to get a WTF when I said I dont mind going by myself.

So Escapists, opinions please!

EDIT= A good OP goes 1st, I regularly go by myself, with my reasoning being that if I waited to see films with others I would get to see half the films I wanted to

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
Why would it be weird? The cinema's hardly the most social of experiences anyway, or at least it is if you're not one of the many idiots who won't SHUT UP.

But seriously, I fail to see how it's weird in any way.

Kpt._Rob

Travelling Mushishi
Apr 22, 2009
Well, it shouldn't be, but unfortunately there is somewhat of a societal stigma against going to the theatre by yourself. That isn't to say that there aren't people who go to the theatre by themselves, in fact, I've known people who actually prefer to go by themselves because they feel that they're able to focus on the movie better, which is important if you're going to see something with some depth, but probably doesn't make that big of a difference if you're going to watch "The Green Hornet."

I would say that if you want to go then go, don't let the stigma scare you off.

Reaver3

Jan 9, 2011
BrokenBoySoldier said:

I ask this as just had a mate bail out on me from seeing The Green Hornet tonight, only to get a WTF when I said I dont mind going by myself.

EDIT= A good OP goes 1st, I regularly go by myself, with my reasoning being that if I waited to see films with others I would get to see half the films I wanted to
nope, dont let it freak you out

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
It's not weird, you want to go see a movie, go see a movie.
If anyone gives you any crap just tell them you're a reviewer.

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
Reaver3 said:
BrokenBoySoldier said:

Wasnt gonna, I was just hoping to get some insight into the opposing view, as this sint the 1st time Ive had that conversation and its always perplexed me

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Reaver3 said:
BrokenBoySoldier said:

Holy crap REAVER!
Sorry.
OT: I dont see why it would be wierd in the slightist.

ChildofGallifrey

May 26, 2008
Nah, not weird at all. I go alone quite often. The vast majority of the time I go on the weekends, and since I live in Jersey and all but one of my friends lives in New York there would be a good deal of traveling involved to go with people.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
No, it's not weird, but when I do it myself it's normally because I don't have anything else to do, so it sort of makes me feel alone and empty.

Nov 27, 2010
I don't think it's weird to go by yourself, just pointless. If I go by myself, I might as well watch the film at home. Plus, I have friends who don't talk when something's going on onscreen, apart from a comment on something in the movie here and there, but I do that too.

Wadders

Aug 16, 2008
I never do it, but I dont see it as weird at all pal.

I would probably go to the cinema by myself, but because the nearest big Cinema is 18 miles away from my house, I tend to go with friends so we can turn it into a social occasion, its too far to travel just for a film.

suubersnake

The Wizard
Nov 30, 2009
Why would it be weird? People are rarely dependable, so the only way you can assure yourself you will be able to see a movie you want to see is on your own.

Sticky Squid

Dec 30, 2010
It depends on the type of movie for me, I would go see most movies on my own but going to see some overly sappy love movie alone would seem really sad.