Escapist's Own Andy Chalk Called-Out By Game Heroes.

Sach

Nov 22, 2009
...and I'm absolutely positive that GH has NO biased articles on their site...

This was my first glimpse at their site but is this video pretty standard for them? If so, I don't think Andy has much to worry about from a low-quality, thrown together video featuring two douchebags trying to sound edgy by using a catch phrase that sounds like it came from a low budget 90s action movie...

As I said, I've never been to that site before but the whole thing came across as a ploy to belittle someone they're jealous of.

Just my 2 cents.

TheTygerfire

Jun 26, 2008
D_987 said:
TheTygerfire said:
Then again, isn't that exactly what you're doing by leaving out my part about Fox not doing any research on the issues they talk about?
No, because that would be completely missing the point - I'm talking, very clearly, about your comments regarding Fox news not being held responsible for their guests statements. This has nothing to do with their "blatant lack of any research into the topics their guests talk about", and everything to do with the fact they're still very clearly responsible for any and all statements made by guests due to their deliberate lack of objectivity in these debates.
I'm not doubting you at all, Fox News DOES do that, and worse there's tons of evidence of them shouting over other people to push their own agendas. But still, I agree with the GH guys too. Not completely, but they do have points. Andy shouldn't have never posted the article, just the title is misleading.

(sic) humor

Nov 19, 2009
Alright, honestly, these guys had a point. Andy Chalk's article made it seem like all of Fox News was convinced the game perpetuated sexual violence, when really it was more of a single source in said article.

That source, by the way, was Carole Lieberman, who was already put in her place by Wire magazine, which addressed her claims, lack of research, and other logical fallacies in an article (http://www.wired.com/gamelife/tag/carole-lieberman) that made its point without being as vicious as Andy was.

I agreed with most of the points Andy made, but the stab at Bill O'Reilly, who had nothing to do with any of this, was spiteful and misplaced.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
mjc0961 said:
k-ossuburb said:
Or do you think this is just an attack out of spite?
That. Fox News purposely posted what that woman said, and twisted the words of other people they interviewed, in order for their story to say that games cause rape as well. So Fox News and that other woman both said it.
Completely agree. FOX deliberately chose Lieberman and intentionally misquoted others to spin the story their way. FOX is at much at fault as Lieberman is.

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
k-ossuburb said:
MINOR EDIT: First off, there's a few grammatical errors in here that I'm trying to catch. Secondly, I'm trying to sound as unbiased as possible in this, I thought I better mention that now because I've been known for not being entirely clear. I think that my opinion here is meaningless but yours is not so I'm a lot more interested in hearing your feelings towards this than my gut-reaction.

But if you're interested: I think these guys are being way too mean on ol' Andy. Fox News has a bad reputation for a reason, and when the Game Heroes mentioned their position on gun laws it has lead me to believe that there is a strict bias here and maybe this is less about the article or the game and more about The Left VS The Right, but that's just me.
wow, I;m a big channel awesome guy, but this is the first time I've actually watched Handsome Tom and... the other guy, I forget his name. Are they always such beacons of (well I'll get attacked for using the word i was about to, so insert your slur/childish namecalling here)? "Smoke you"? seriously? lame.
Anyway, the Andy's article really didnt go too far. He did misrepresent some facts, but not to any reprehensible degree.

The article fox news put up is clearly about bulletstorm. It also clearly has a negative slant on bulletstorm, despite offering evidence that videogames are not, in fact, the devil. This can be seen just from the title of the article, and the "stronger" position of the negative side.
So, we've established that fox news placed and article on their website about bulletstorm. This article included an entirely bullshit claim about videogames causing rape. THE CLEAR IMPLICATION IS THAT BULLETSTORM IS ONE OF THE SEXUALLY OBJECTIONABLE GAMES MENTIONED IN SAID BULLSHIT STATISTIC. Fox News has a responsibility to not post articles (just as the escapist does) that conflict with the groups established views. So obviously, someone at Fox News green-lit this article with a clear implication that bulletstorm is a sexually violent videogame contributing to an increase in rape crime.

FOX NEWS DID EXACTLY WHAT ANDY SAID.

Now for why I quoted you: You mention that gameheroes (aforementioned lame dudes) are probably attacking andy's article (i've noticed we all call him andy, despite none of us knowing him. I think we just feel weird calling a man "Chalk") because of their own personal bias. You may be right. The only reason to attack andy's article is that he does hype up the negative in the article to make it seem more antagonistic than it actually is. At the same time, as you said, Fox News has a well-established (and at least in my opinion, well-deserved) reputation for being unfair, biased, and sensationalistic. I feel the attack is justifed
Hubilub said:
Then I guess we can directly blame ESC for all the stupid shit that's been said on the forums over the years.

After all, they gave them the platform!
No, because the forums are not officially put forth by the escapist. Everything on the forums is user-content, not endorsed or decried by The Escapist. If the escapist were to make every user rant about how master chief is gay or Marcus Fenix could fight a bear and article, your statement would be true.

The article wasn't a forum troll ranting, it was a legitimized "news" piece set out on Fox's website in an official capacity.
Andy Chalk said:
Here's the thing, dudes - and I explained this in the original thread but I don't mind repeating here, briefly. The Fox News article was pure, unadulterated bullshit. The anti-gaming side of the argument was presented by "experts," psychologists and authors and so forth, while the pro-gaming side was presented by Hal Halpin - a guy who quite clearly has a vested interest in supporting the game industry. Is that balanced? Why does the anti-gaming side get "experts" while the pro-gaming side gets a guy who's essentially employed by the industry?

Other sites, particularly Rock Paper Shotgun, have already utterly demolished Lieberman's position and evidence, so I won't even get into that here except to mention that she's one of the more obvious and repulsive media whores I've run into in recent years.

Fox gets the blame for saying "games cause rape" because it provided a platform for this kind of nonsense. It sought out Lieberman and the rest, it got them to say idiotic things (probably not much work required there) and then it spread them all over the net, in the guise of news. That's on them. They bear the responsibility for that, and I called them out on it. Is that unfair? I don't think so, and I'm not about to give Fox credit for presenting both sides of the issue when it quite obviously did not do so.
You, sir, are almost entirely correct in your assertion, and I personally agree with your stance, but I will admit you went a little bit sensationalist yourself, and probably could have presented your own article in a more stable, less antagonistic fashion. After all, if you base your own article on pathos, you can't call out Fox for doing so.

Superhyperactiveman said:
I think there's a crapload of idiocy on all 3 sides: Chalk's, GH's, and Fox's. I'm also sure this is going to devolve into a bunch of name-calling on both sides that's going to be idiotic and annoying...
You are exactly right sir. I'm going to start by calling them ninnies. all of them! :)

(sic) humor said:
I agreed with most of the points Andy made, but the stab at Bill O'Reilly, who had nothing to do with any of this, was spiteful and misplaced.
That was clearly a silly joke that has no basis in anything approaching fact, as almost all of the articles on the escapist end.

Bill O'Reilly DOES know where the moon comes from. He built himself in ages long past out of legos paste and finely grated parmesan cheese.

Pyode

Jul 1, 2009
Honestly, I didn't have a problem at all with the article at hand. I think Andy did just fine with it. Yea, the title may have been a bit on the pandering side, but as he has explained it's not completely unfair to call Fox out on it because they solicited and printed the opinion.

That being said. There have been articles on this site that did merit this kind of outcry but didn't receive it.

Elizabeth Grunewald wrote an article back in November that I thought was just ridiculously biased and plain flat out stupid. I wish people had said something about that article instead.

Danial

Apr 7, 2010
So let me get this right, they use opinions which are basically just repeating Rock paper shotgun, miss jokes and, in the end, ignore 99% of the argument Andy put forward instead focusing on the last words and the title, the title not even being anything he probably contributed if TE has the same submission system as everyone else. Then call him out for insulting someone needlessly by, insulting him needlessly. AKA the Perfect Fox news attack patten they accuse him of.

This is 2 hypocrites calling someone a hypocrite. Its not about power to the people, always ask questions journalism about attacking people self righteously so they get more clicks.

And sadly its working.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
8-Bit_Jack said:
wow, I;m a big channel awesome guy, but this is the first time I've actually watched Handsome Tom and... the other guy, I forget his name. Are they always such beacons of (well I'll get attacked for using the word i was about to, so insert your slur/childish namecalling here)? "Smoke you"? seriously? lame.
this is only my second or third time watching this specific pair, but it seems to be.

honestly, there's little I like I find from TGWTG that doesn't show on the proper site. However, I click around sometimes to exxpand my horizons, and the sensationalist header got my attention.

This does seem to be of the same quality as their others though.

BRex21

Sep 24, 2010
I think the Game Heroes were worse than the Escapists article. Andy Chalk obviously wrote an article to inflame the people of the escapist, but i can't stand it when people say "its not fox news its an expert on fox news". Like fox news isn't responsible for airing what is said by someone they hand picked to say what was said. Fox knew how she felt on this that's why they picked her over thousands of other trained psychiatrists. Yes they said "videogames are responsible for the rise of rapes" but they JUST implied Bulletstorm was the worst ever, its a logical leap.
As for Bill O'reily they didn't imply he had anything to do with this, they were just mocking his inability to grasp the concept of the moon. I want to ask them What does Andy's manhood have to do with anything.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
The Game Heroes are wrong. They sound like Republicans trying to justify why they watch cable news. If The Escapist put up stories by Fred Phelps and had articles in the Edition that said, "God Hates F----" then that is essentially the same as The Escapist saying the same thing. Simplifying that connection in a attention-grabbing headline is not unethical, as long as you clearly explain the relationship, which Andy did (and Fox never EVER does). Adding jokes about Bill O'Reilly at the end may be a little pandering to his audience, but it's much in line with the style of writing that The Escapist is known for. Finally, is anyone really amazonbombing or critiquing fox news? From what I can tell, people are really going after the person who said it, partly because of the way this story was written. To say that that is inaccurate or disingenuous, is just plain wrong when looking at the results.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Pyode said:
Honestly, I didn't have a problem at all with the article at hand. I think Andy did just fine with it. Yea, the title may have been a bit on the pandering side, but as he has explained it's not completely unfair to call Fox out on it because they solicited and printed the opinion.

That being said. There have been articles on this site that did merit this kind of outcry but didn't receive it.

Elizabeth Grunewald wrote an article back in November that I thought was just ridiculously biased and plain flat out stupid. I wish people had said something about that article instead.
Or silly, fluffy, and pointless. Just saying, I'd be more offended if this struck me as any sort of hard journalism, rather than one of those "on the lighter side" articles.

DaOysterboy

Apr 4, 2010
I always figured a big chunk of the stuff on the escapist is about 25% editorial anyways. I didn't think Andy's article was purely unbiased either, but I never thought it was intended to be taken that way. Fox claims "fair and balanced" but it seems pretty clear that they have an agenda (at least some of the time). So I blame Fox for cherry-picking and Andy called them out. He didn't call them out in a "fair and balanced" manner perhaps, giving counterpoint studies and referencing his own experts to refute the tripe Fox (or Fox's guests if we must) was claiming, but he stood up and basically asked "What the hell is this even based on?" Maybe he didn't disprove their argument, but he eliminated the smoke and mirrors they were using to claim "Research has shown...." The O'Reilly quote showed which team jersey Andy's sporting, but that's not necessarily a bad thing if you just take that at face value. Besides, I had to watch the last part of their video twice to even figure out what they were accusing Andy OF. And I am NOT watching it again. That was seriously about the most annoying and self-righteous pandering I've seen on the internet in a while. And we all know how much self-righteous pandering the internet does....

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
I say these people seem like hypocrites. They're deliberately finding fault with an article that had no problems, and I say they're doing it for the reason they say Andy did it for. Screw those guys.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Yes, the title of the article was somewhat misleading.

How-fucking-ever, its content is not.

With that said, Tom and whoever-the-hell the other guy is - stretching out the words doesn't make you sound funny or insulting, but rather, it's incredibly aggravating.

Andy's article was alright, the "moon" remark is just a poke... and, really... will you defend Fox News? DID YOU READ THE ARTICLE, TOM?

Well, if you did... read it again.

I suggest you also check the name of the article, Tom. In case you can't, it's "Is Bulletstorm the Worst Video Game in the World?".

Pandering my ass.

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
8-Bit_Jack said:
this is only my second or third time watching this specific pair, but it seems to be.

honestly, there's little I like I find from TGWTG that doesn't show on the proper site. However, I click around sometimes to exxpand my horizons, and the sensationalist header got my attention.

This does seem to be of the same quality as their others though.
Hmm, I guess there's a reason their part in Kickassia was so small.

I suppose I shouldn't rag on anything Channel Awesome does since I'm trying to pitch a video set to them, but if this is indicative of their archive, I think I'll give these guys a miss.

the captcha is Saras rectim. Thats one letter away from being non-contextually hilarious

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
8-Bit_Jack said:
the captcha is Saras rectim. Thats one letter away from being non-contextually hilarious
That alone is worth a quote.

But seriously, I like a good chunk of what CA has going. It's not like the whole thing is bad, but some of the contributors are....Yeah. Awful. And this is one of those examples.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Sir John the Net Knight said:
Andy Chalk said:
Here's the thing, dudes - and I explained this in the original thread but I don't mind repeating here, briefly. The Fox News article was pure, unadulterated bullshit. The anti-gaming side of the argument was presented by "experts," psychologists and authors and so forth, while the pro-gaming side was presented by Hal Halpin - a guy who quite clearly has a vested interest in supporting the game industry. Is that balanced? Why does the anti-gaming side get "experts" while the pro-gaming side gets a guy who's essentially employed by the industry?

Other sites, particularly Rock Paper Shotgun, have already utterly demolished Lieberman's position and evidence, so I won't even get into that here except to mention that she's one of the more obvious and repulsive media whores I've run into in recent years.

Fox gets the blame for saying "games cause rape" because it provided a platform for this kind of nonsense. It sought out Lieberman and the rest, it got them to say idiotic things (probably not much work required there) and then it spread them all over the net, in the guise of news. That's on them. They bear the responsibility for that, and I called them out on it. Is that unfair? I don't think so, and I'm not about to give Fox credit for presenting both sides of the issue when it quite obviously did not do so.
No one is defending Lieberman's position. But Lieberman does not work for FOX News, she was interviewed by them. Like I said, FOX doesn't handle this issue properly. But responding to hypocritical rhetoric with more hypocritical rhetoric hardly seems fair or balanced. (ZING!)
But unlike Fox News, I don't think people go to The Escapist for hard news. Fox, MSNBC and CNN need to be held up to a higher standard then say The Escapist or 411mania.com