Escapists, what are your deep dark gaming secrets?

Icyheart

Feb 7, 2011
I have owned a copy of the first Mass Effect for almost four years, and bought the next two as close as I could to the days they came out (I realize this isn't particularly controversial, but hang on I'm getting there, dammit). While my brother loved them and has sent consistent characters through all three games via different story paths several times, I didn't finish the first one until last week (I couldn't stand the combat four years ago and couldn't even finish my first visit to the citadel. I think I got lost on my way to save Tali the first time you see her and I just couldn't take anymore agitation after that). Needless to say, I'm already more than halfway through Mass Effect 2 and I am loving it the whole way through.

Also, although I didn't play it, I did see the initial ending to Mass Effect 3 and didn't see what all the rage was about (brother hated it, though).

I find Morrowind f**** unplayable (although at this point I don't think I've met anyone else (including those who've enjoyed the game) who essentially thought otherwise), and I think Oblivion is the better Elder Scrolls game (Skyrim has a better story, but the environment just seems too gray and I hate that I can't get any faster)

Speaking of Oblivion, I found the Shivering Isles DLC disappointing (just the ending. I absolutely loved the environment, characters, lore and every moment I played through it, but the ending just didn't feel very gratifying)

I thought Portal 2 was better than the original Portal (then again, I played Portal 2 first, so that probably affected my perception)

Twilight Princess is the only Zelda game I have ever played

I bought the Metroid Prime Trilogy for the Wii (because I don't gave a GameCube) years ago and still haven't finished any of them

I still play the campaigns for the first 3 Halo games (This is getting pretty long. Maybe I should have cut out the stuff in parentheses)

Flamb3Nobunaga

Mar 4, 2013
-The only Metal Gear game I've ever liked was Rising
-Despite the universal praise, I find Spec Ops: The Line utterly boring
-The Batman games are overrated piles of garbage (my opinion)
-Black Ops 2 was my 2nd Favorite game of 2012
-I never beat Portal 1 without noclip
-I liked ME3 as a whole more than ME2
-I cannot bring myself to play The Walking Dead for more than 20 minutes at a time before becoming bored beyond belief
-I almost always play as a girl when given the choice
-Dark Souls > TES V:Skyrim
-GTA IV was a masterpiece

Iampreparedforyourrage.jpg

hooglese

Feb 14, 2011
-I thought half life 2 was a mediocre game. The environments were gray and brown, and they with held all of the fun enemies till the end. I will still say Half Life 1 is one of the best shooters ever.
-Oblivion terrifies me. Those eyes o.o
-Call of Duty: Black ops gives me motion sickness.
-I cling to literally every chest high wall in 3rd person shooters.
-I thought Fire Emblem Dawn Of Radiance had the best story in any game I've ever played.
-I repeated the RNG on Castlevainia Dawn of Sorrow (i think)for 3 hours just so i could get %100 completion.
-Halo Reach is my favorite Halo game by a mile, with the possible exception of Halo 1's unlimited demo.
-I've played over 100hs of Dark Souls, and still dont know whats going on.
-I always sink all the points into dps in rpgs.
-I suck at Far Cry 3. I love it, but i'm terrible at it.

tabristhegreat

Mar 5, 2013
I have never played Half life and have no desire to try it
I'm convinced that the bioshock series is slowly going to devolve into M Night Shyamalan levels of what a twistness, but i love them anyway
I think Tropes Vs Women wouldn't have caught half as much flack if the creator was a dude
I prefer to create female characters solely for ascetic reasons...I sometimes get annoyed when I'm forced to play a dude even though I am in fact male.

camerinian

Mar 16, 2012
I have never completed any of the original Sonic games, despite it being one of my favorite franchises. The only one I did finish was Sonic CD, but that was honestly a bit easy. Even then, I have never achieved Super Sonic on any 2D Sonic game, even Sonic 4 or CD.

I have sunk more time into The Simpsons: Hit And Run than nearly any other game on my PS2. I have no idea why, but I felt a greater compulsion to replay it over something like Shadow Of The Colossus or the PS2 Platformers (Jak and Daxter, Ratchet And Clank, Sly). Those are all great games, don't get me wrong, but Simpsons: Hit And Run man...

I have only ever played GTA 3 on my iPhone. It isn't on PSN in New Zealand for whatever reason, and I haven't been able to find a PS2 copy (cbf looking online) so that's the only way I've played it, and I'm ashamed.

You guys are seriously going to hate this next one though.....

Skyward Sword is my favorite Zelda game. Granted, I have yet to play Majora's Mask or Wind Waker, and I personally think comparing it to the top-down games is stupid, but I definitely enjoyed it more than Ocarina Of Time and Twilight Princess. Right off the bat, I found it a whole lot more interesting and mechanically sound than Twilight Princess. I never particularly liked Wolf Link for me, and the art style was honestly very off-putting for me. Then as a whole I found the quality of the Dungeons to be a lot more consistent in Skyward Sword than in Ocarina. Whilst Ocarina had some amazing dungeons, it still had some fairly shite ones. For me, at least, Skyward Sword had consistently good dungeons, with the Sandship and Ancient Cistern being some of the best in the franchise. Finally, I believe that Skyward Sword, along with Red Steel 2, was the only game that had truly immersive motion controls. No they weren't perfect, but they honestly were close. There are legit complaints to be had about the game, but I had a hell of a lot of fun with it regardless

Lopende Paddo

Aug 26, 2004
Amnesia: the dark descent" scares me to much to complete it... I'm not afraid of any horror movie book or game but that bastard game freaks me out and after 30 minutes of playing I'm a nervous wreck...

Randomperson9999999

Sep 16, 2010
-I don't like Mass effect
-I didn't like the first bioshock
-fallout new vegas is better than fallout 3 no matter how many times people tell me 3 was better
-The last of us is not a masterpiece, its not a 10/10, its highly overrated. I still really liked it though.
-Majora's mask is way better than OOT, in my opinion

Zeles

Oct 3, 2009
Jmumbler said:
I preferred the characters of dragon age 2 over the characters of DAO

I have beaten vampire the masquerade bloodlines at least 10 times, with another 2 more at the years end
Whooo!

I have played Pokemon Silver, Ruby/Sapphire, Diamond, and White. I've only ever beaten the Elite Four for Diamond.

I often look up how quests will end on the Wiki so I get the desired results.

I can not do an 'Evil' play through of any game because I always feel really guilty about what I'm doing. I know that they characters aren't real, but I just can't help it!

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
I have played FF7 through X-2, and I have never finished any of them. The only one that I did reach the end with, FFX, I cheated my stats to maximum after the Yunalesca fight; I didn't have the patience to grind for another 40 hours on side content when the story was practically demanding I go do the last fight.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
Before I came of age, I always used to play games for the first time with walkthroughs provided by Playstation Max Magazine.

I wish I could experience FFVIII and Metal Gear Solid as a neophyte again for this reason. I ain't proud of it...

WaitWHAT said:
ITT: people endleslly bad-mouthing anything they don't like and declaring their opinions as fact.

Way to go, everyone. This is really contributing to an atmosphere of sensible debate and discussion. It's doing wonders for making the escapist a better place.
This guy has it right, can't help but feel that most of you are missing the point of the thread.

ALSO: seeing all the unique ways in which poor little Isaac becomes horribly deformed/injured in the Binding of Isaac is one of my favourite things about the game.

Not terribly proud of that either.

WhyWasThat

Jul 2, 2010
I have never played a Mario, Zelda, or Metroid game.
Ever.
And I don't particularly care, either.

Well BAM! There it is.

CRRPGMykael

Mar 6, 2011
-Played a bit of Duke Nukem Forever, thought it was alright.
-Oblivion was the only Elder Scrolls I really liked.
-I still like games from my childhood that are now labeled as 'childish'. No, it's not the nostalgia, it's just that they're really well designed games (Talking about the PS2 Trio: Sly, Ratchet & Clank and Jak).
-I really liked Splinter Cell: Conviction, because the series up to that point was always trying good methodical slow-paced stealth but never quite getting there as other games like Thief and Hitman did it, then it reinvented the genre. It was quick predatorial fast-pased slick stealth like I've never seen before.
-I thought Hitman: Absolution was a fucking terrible piece of garbage, especially since Hitman: Blood Money was so good.
-MAIN CONFESSION: I don't like Mass Effect. Got Mass Effect 2 once, played for like an hour, hated it. Then I was forced by someone to play the first game to completion. It was terrible. Tried Mass Effect 2 again, got like 2 hours further that time around, then got stuck in a wall and had no other saves.

Snowbell

Apr 13, 2012
I feel the need to be good at shooting games so I can present myself as a 'good' female gamer rather than an attention whore. Despite this, I still suck at shooting games and play them on easy.

I'm enjoying ME3. Come at me!

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Ix Rebound said:
- I don't won't to say that i will probably get Xbox One in fear of being lynched
If anyone gives you shit for buying a Xbox One then they are idiots, even I am planning on getting a PS4 but its none of my business what you are going to buy. You buy what you like.

Now let me read the rest of your post...

Ix Rebound said:
- I never liked Timesplitters 2

Well... now here are some of mine:

-I think Mario games are way overated, I mean, they are fun and all but not the 10/10 material they seem to be remembered for.
-I think the Forza series is the best racing series out there for consoles.
-I think Project Gotham Racing 3/4 are some of the best looking games ever made.
-I really dont like MGS2 (not because of the main character, he is not as bad as people say) but I really like what they did with MGS3.
-I thinks Borderlands 2 tries too hard to be funny and random
-Crackdown is an awesome game (not 2)
-I respect the direction that Saints Row took after the second one even if I dont like it as much.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Journey: a game where wonderful art direction must drag itself across a lake with a millstone in the form of dull themes, dull design and dull interaction around its next.

I think it sucks, basically.

Hammer Jackson

Mar 10, 2013
Viva Pinata was genuinely one of the best games I've ever played.
Zelda, or at least Twilight Princess, is overrated and not god's gift to RPGs.
Skyrim wasn't nearly as good as at should have been.
I cheated in my nuzlocke challenge because I wanted my geodude to live.
I have never played and never will play a final fantasy game.
Fallout 3 is worse than FNV.
I have spent at least £100 on TF2 items and keys.
Natural Selection is really meh and not the tactical fun game I expected.
World of Warcraft is one of the best games ever made, even with all of its flaws, it's just got worse over time.
Planetside 2 is pay-to-win bullshit.
World of Tanks is one of the dullest games I have EVER played.
League of Legends is much worse than Dota 2 due to the spamability of abilities.
I really enjoyed Honest Hearts for New Vegas.
I consider myself good at FPSes, but I struggle to play CS with any level of skill.
just my opinion

commodore96

Aug 31, 2010
-I've started every single Assasin's Creed game, but I never finish a single one. (I just hand them back to my buddy after I google the ending)

-I enjoyed KOTOR 2 way more than KOTOR

-I think FFX is hands down the best final fantasy game ever made (and the laugh is not annoying in the context of the scene)

-I judge people when they choose Charmander as their starting Pokemon because I think it is really unoriginal

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
I've been a PC gamer since I could crawl and never built my own PC, I'd ask my dad to buy the upgrades because I still have no idea to tell how good a part is.

I still use Steam occasionally since I have games on it, which I bought them before I knew how much Steam would screw me over.

90% of my library are Japanese games and I've only played around 10 AAA games released this gen.

MXRom

Jan 10, 2013
I always start on easy mode before working myself up to hard.

I don't know how bad that is but according to my friends, such a thing is gaming heresy.