ESPN Attacks Kobe Bryant Over Black Ops Commercial

Whichi

Sep 13, 2010
Quad08 said:
Those commentators are just upset they weren't involved in the commerical
Butthurt is always rampant in the world of entertainment. Who gives a flying fuck about sports commentators? They're just nobodies who couldn't cut mustard with their sports skills, so they tried making a living by talking about sports.

These commentators do nothing less than eat, drink, sleep, piss, shit, and skeet sports. To talk smack and cry about their disapporval of doing things other than sports is merely childish antics.

Besides which, Kobe can do whatever the fuck he wants *looks Kobe's probation officer* ok, not EVERYTHING he wants >_>

mattttherman3 said:
lol espn. Lets talk about that that hour show you gave to lebron james, that was a waste of advertising.
don't get me started on that shit... When we were listening to "The Decision", some people played the KKKramer rap in honor of "King James" douchebaggery (I just wanted to use that word. get off my nuts). Not to mention the rimjob Stu Scott was giving him afterwards....

ESPN can enjoy their herpes

Joshic Shin

Level 8 DM
Apr 4, 2009
To tell you the truth, I disliked the commercial because I thought it sent the wrong message. In a time when games are on trial before the Supreme Court CoD decides to make their commercial one showing a group of gamers shooting at each other. The imagery used does not help the case that gamers are not violent and that gamers can separate virtual and reality. In the commercial we don't see that. In fact, the opposite occurs. Instead of avatars we see people actually in the game trying to shoot at other real people. Not only that, but when the hotel guy gets his call he still stays in the game. Someone is going to say that he is still in "gamer mode" and able to continue doing offline what he did online.

I understand that the point of the commercial was to show regular people
All enjoying the multiplayer and how realistic it was, but there were better ways with this. And ignoring the real downsides of this commercial because you think old people just "don't get it" is really foolish. Those are the people who are deciding the future of video games right now.

DiMono

Mar 18, 2010
I think the media need to untwist their panties and start worrying about things that actually matter. It's totally obvious that the commercial is meant to say "everyone can play," and trying to equate that to "war isn't really that bad" is stupid. People know that war is ridiculously dangerous and seriously sucks, and a commercial for a video game isn't going to change that. All the media is doing by drawing attention to it this way is to put the idea that the commercial is about that into people's heads, thus creating a self fulfilling prophecy: people think that because we say they think that, and as a result of us saying it, people really are thinking it, so we were right all along.

Seriously, the fact that this is even an issue is stupid.

permacrete

Apr 5, 2010
I think it is more likely that some of those ESPN folks see video games as a threat to professional sports as the nation's dominant entertainment medium. With every new generation there are more and more men and women who would rather spend an hour or two in an frag-fest than to watch a few dozen millionaires play a game with commercial breaks.

Modern networked consoles have given the American couch potato the ability to "do" instead of just "watch."

Lma0nade

Jul 25, 2010
That ad is just flat-out retarded. Especially from a business standpoint. Showing children in a game that they know is an M-RATED GAME is just being stupid. I'm not one who thinks that "video games made me do it", I just think that commercial in general is bullshit.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
Irridium said:
Children "playing war" with their fingers and toy guns are also painting it in a happy-go-lucky vibe.

Does that downplay the seriousness that real combat entails?

Alright so maybe a little, but still, you don't go attacking kids about it. These guys are just having fun. I'm sure we've all imagined ourselves in that situation before, where we're all killing each other in a fun and happy manner.

Or at least I have.

What?
You summarised my thoughts.

And really? Why are people so stupid?

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Why do we care about him doing this?

I mean he DID anally rape a prostitute. Why has everyone forgiven him for that?

darkknight9

Feb 21, 2010
I don't play the game, don't follow basketball, but I LOVE this song and any commercial that starts with heels and ends with a cook and a bang kicks ass in my book!!!

wildcard9

Aug 31, 2008
I wonder if a white celebrity would catch as much flack in Kobe's position...nope, probably not. Stupid double-standards.

BrownGaijin

Jan 31, 2009
ace_of_something said:

It wasn't a prostitute. She didn't offer sex in exchange for money. It was a freebie.

Gavmando

Feb 3, 2009
Hmm. I just watched the commercial, and it didnt really appeal to me. I get the feeling that it would only really appeal to cultures that are really into guns, ie: America.
I felt that it was really glorifying guns, as in the part where that woman in purple was firing the shotgun and had a sly little smile.

I guess it's just lost in translation. If that commercial was to be put on Australian TV, it would probably be banned. But if somehow it did get through, I dont think that it would be well received even by it's target audience.

I guess it's just a different way of thinking. Aussies would see CoD as a game where you run around and shoot stuff, but I think Americans would see it the same way, and then go out and give it a try with real guns. (Hopefully in a safe setting.)

Hmm. Ponder time for me...

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
BrownGaijin said:
ace_of_something said:

It wasn't a prostitute. She didn't offer sex in exchange for money. It was a freebie.
Not to mention it wasn't rape. She claimed it was AFTER the fact. Courts cleared him, all he was doing was committing adultery, which is not a crime.

poiuppx

Nov 17, 2009
Bah. They're just pissy it wasn't a new basketball video game. Besides, the more folks who play video games means the more people not watching their dribble.

wigglysasquatch

Nov 22, 2010
patsfan12 said:
People really need to get a life. He was advertising for a game. Get over it.
No I don't think you understand, its Kobe Bryant and those commentators were from ESPN. They know what they are talking about. An Ambassador of the NBA like Kobe cannot be in a commercial with only implied violence that is actually pretty cartoony (rpg guy). Think of the Children!