ESPN Attacks Kobe Bryant Over Black Ops Commercial

Nocturnal Gentleman

Mar 12, 2010
Gavmando said:
The problem I have with the add is that it's glorifying guns. And with the massive crime rates and gun crime in America, it just seems stupid to add fuel to the fire... But if you show an add like that on TV, then kids will see it, and think that guns are cool. Games like CoD have a rating system for a reason. So that only a mind that is mature enough to handle it gets a hold of it. But if it's a TV add, then kids will see it and will be raised with the same views, and the cycle of gun loving will continue.
Everything you just mentioned though is also somewhat on faulty rearing. My family has very few people that actually own guns yet all children are taught that guns are extremely powerful and dangerous weapons. You mess around with them and you'll at best destroy things or hurt someone, and at worst you'll kill yourself or others.

People only become stupid enough to think, "guns are cool! I'm going to buy one and shoot it all over the place!" when they aren't taught to respect that a weapon is a weapon and not a toy. Like I said this stupidity is rampant among guns and swords. Also, I wouldn't attribute guns much as a direct cause for crime but more to extreme paranoia, race relations, stupidity and people who can't deal with stress and anger properly. If you got rid of guns people would only replace it with another weapon to kill each other.

Also, while you can buy assault rifles it's not that easy to get a hold of one. From my understanding you need licenses that make you more qualified to have specialty weapons. You can't just walk in and be like, "Durr I'll buy an assault rifle." The only way to get guns more easily is the black market. I have no idea where you'd go for such sales but I do know it's a rampant problem here. People own all sorts of things they have no business buying.

typhoon17

May 24, 2009
mattttherman3 said:
lol espn. Lets talk about that that hour show you gave to lebron james, that was a waste of advertising.
Exactly! The way they played out the Lebron circus was way worse than any video game advert.

RzaRings

Nov 23, 2010
What else is new with ESPN's negative takes on Kobe and the Lakers! This channel is the most bias network broadcasted since FOX news! First just type Bomani Jones on google if you already don't know who he is the first five pics that come up is him rocking a Celtics jersey. Just look at last June when Lakers where playing the Celts everyone on this network was crying over it like a little baby that refs were paid off, Kobe shouldn't be MVP, blah blah blah... Now they found another reason to ***** about Kobe, cry me a river even the last vice president shot a person with a gun and he didn't get this much negative comments.

Glerken

Dec 18, 2008
The Wykydtron said:
Pretty lolworthy ad, all I can say about this Kobe guy (am I meant to know him?) is that he is a NOOB! Fucking noobtubes XD
He's a professional basketball player. Although, he may also be known for.. vvv
Rajin Cajun said:
At least Kobe isn't out raping women amirite?

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Scott Bullock said:
Mark Medina, of the Los Angeles Times, said of the commercial, " ... I think the commercial featuring a happy-go lucky vibe with ordinary citizens pretending to be in combat downplays the seriousness that real combat entails."
But that's the ENTIRE point, lol - games aren't like real combat, and the sooner these sort of commentators realise that the sooner we can move on and have real discourse about games and their influences on people.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I liked this ad, although it's a bit generic for me, it could've advertised another completely differnt game, using the same mid-eastern setting and nobody would've seen the difference.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
You know... If he wasnt wearing a Nike shirt, I dont think this would be as big as it was.

But yeah, people need to just relax. There are SO many other things that ESPN could be worrying about. Like how NFL commissioner Roger "Godell" Goodell is bending the Pittsburgh Steelers over and giving the a big 13 inch spiked one up the rear (Harrison, Roethlisberger, um... I think Woodley), and letting the other NFL teams just skate on by (unless [GOD FORBID] someone screwed with Brady or Brees). SOrry, ranting, but you have to admit, Goodell is SCREWING the Steelers this season.

Then again... He's screwing the entire NFL trying to get this 18 game schedule and making the NFL the NFFL (National Flag Footbal League).

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
"downplays the seriousness that real combat entails." - Yeah, because its a game... you dont want people to buy your product and then become shellshocked, that would be what we call in the business "a major fuck up in the thinking department". Games are supposed to be a fun thing you can relax to in your free time... not something that makes you clutch your knees and cry in the shower.