eSports Gambling Site Bets with Bitcoins

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
eSports Gambling Site Bets with Bitcoins

eSports fans now have a global gambling network so they can put their bitcoins where their mouth is.

For as long as there has been competition, there have been adventurous types looking to make things a little more interesting. Gamblers haven't had much of an opportunity to break into the eSports market, though - until now. A site called Bit.gg [http://www.bit.gg/#/all-bets/] has arrived on the scene to fill that niche as the first bitcoin-based social gambling site for eSports fans. Yes, you can now gain or lose fortunes based on how well other people play video games.

The site is currently filled with bets on competitive games like Starcraft II, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, and Dota 2, though any eSports-related bet can be submitted as long as it has a clear yes/no outcome. Current bets are as specific as putting money on a certain team to win an upcoming tournament, and as general as betting that the winner of a Starcraft tournament will be a Protoss player. The amounts are similarly diverse, with payouts in bitcoin amounts ranging anywhere from a dollar's worth to hundreds of bucks in the digital currency.

Bit.gg claims that its service will bring a whole new element to eSports competition, since everything's a little more intense when you've got money on a match. It'll be interesting to see if this niche market takes off - a pro gamer throwing a match to make a fortune in bitcoins would be an interesting sight to see.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
...what the hell is a "bitcoin"?

To Google!

*Google Google Google

Huh...that's kind of neat.

OT: I wonder if there is a market for this at all? e-sports are gaining in popularity but I can't imagine it's big enough to support gambling. I suppose these guys do think it is and maybe I'll have my own "I could have invested in Apple for $1!" story...though I certainly am not holding my breath here.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
a pro gamer throwing a match to make a fortune in bitcoins would be an interesting sight to see
Hasn't it already happened? There was a guy who threw a match so he could win a bet for something like $100.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
CriticalMiss said:
a pro gamer throwing a match to make a fortune in bitcoins would be an interesting sight to see
Hasn't it already happened? There was a guy who threw a match so he could win a bet for something like $100.
That's not a fortune. That's not much at all.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Evil Smurf said:
CriticalMiss said:
Probably a fortune to him, the team he was in paid him in cheetoh dust.

Vivid Kazumi

Jan 7, 2012
CriticalMiss said:
Evil Smurf said:
CriticalMiss said:
Probably a fortune to him, the team he was in paid him in cheetoh dust.
mmmm cheetoh dust...

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
There already are sites where you can bet on eSports. Unfortunately, most of them don't allow you to sign up if you're from the US. Due to a lack of oversight on bitcoins in the US, we Americans might actually get to use it for a short while.