ESRB Turns Tail On Previous Standards

innocent42

Nov 3, 2007
Arbre said:
I'd ask Rockstar "why leave such content inside the game?"
Probably because it was easier to leave it in and cover it up than to remove it and have to deal with any incompatibilities that it caused. Sometimes engines are hard-coded to assume the presence of certain files, and removing them completely would cause more trouble than it's worth.

Anyway, I'm glad that the ESRB is coming to its senses about these things. Though at the same time it looks more and more like Hillary Clinton might be the next president, and we all know the stance she takes on this issue.

Katana314

Oct 4, 2007
Yeah, you people would love the South Park episode "Good Times with Weapons"
Basically, at the end, the parents' violence concerns are overshadowed by sexual concerns for their kids.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Times_with_Weapons

usea

Oct 7, 2007
I was under the impression that the content in question in manhunt was obscured by blurring normally, and the hack just disables the blur.

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
innocent42 said:
Arbre said:
I'd ask Rockstar "why leave such content inside the game?"
Probably because it was easier to leave it in and cover it up than to remove it and have to deal with any incompatibilities that it caused. Sometimes engines are hard-coded to assume the presence of certain files, and removing them completely would cause more trouble than it's worth.
Me:
"This is what drew me to the other question... was this content something like an easter egg, or some former data that the studio didn't remove, but simply locked away with code (say it was cheaper and faster than going through the ressources libraries), and wasn't meant to be unlocked by anyone, as long as you used the game under legal terms?"
;)

TomBeraha

Jul 25, 2006
Archon said:
To Nushi's point, the same sex/violence distinction also occurs in film. If a man kisses a woman's naked breast, that's NC-17. But if he "just" takes a chainsaw to her naked breast, that's R.

In short: We must protect the children from the sight of human affection. Human slaughter is all good, though.
That reminds me of "This Film is Not Yet Rated" :)

nagumo [deprecated]

Nov 3, 2007
In all fairness, things have changed for the better since, This Film is not yet Rated was released. The main point of change being that directors are now allowed to compare and contrast other films when appealing a rating.