Eternal Silence or: Why space combat and FPS can coexist and be happy.

Big Bill Hell

Dec 3, 2008
Eternal Silence (http://www.eternal-silence.net/) holds a special place in my heart and Steam games list. You see, I was that kid that skipped to the end of Star Wars just to see the dogfight at the Death Star. That was, in my opinion, the most exciting thing I had ever seen. As the pilot's cockpit filled with sparks, and he screamed like a girl, and as the camera cut to his ship blowing the hell up, I began to wonder just how they did that. As the series went along, none of the space sequences were quite the same. Instead of blowing up the miniatures, they simply matted in explosions.

Getting back to Eternal Silence, this was the game that made me feel like I did when I saw the Battle of Yavin. There is a backstory, serialized on the website, but I did not care. I wanted to fly about, do barrel rolls, shoot down bad guys, and do it all with style. The game, a flight sim/FPS mod for Half-Life 2, can best be described as Day of Defeat crossed with Tachyon: The Fringe.

The gamemodes vary, but the best of the best is Hardcore mode.

It is a semi-symmetrical attack and defend. Each side has one mothership, with 3 or more subsystems AKA control points. The subsystems serve as spawn points, as well as providing a function to the mothership. For example, if the shields subsystem falls, the mothership will have less defence against the lasers of the other mothership, as well as bombs from the bombers. Each mothership is further protected by a set of three corvettes, larger than the regular ships, and if all three fall, the opposing team must land in the mothership to capture the subsystems. It's strategic, exciting and action packed.
The onfoot fighting is just as good as the dogfighting, if less original. The Hacker class has a tool, a handheld computer that speeds up capture of subsystems, and can protect already captured ones.

The only problems are some unfinished weapon animations, and some cheesy voice acting. But If you enjoy flying around, shooting lasers at fools, and coordinating assaults, this is the game for you.

Also Tachyon: The Fringe is cool as well

j0z

Apr 23, 2009
Yeah, I really liked Eternal Silence as well. It was very similar to the space battles in Battlefront 2.
Pretty good review also.

Voodoomancer

Jun 8, 2009
Yeah, best multiplayer FPS I've played apart from TF2, and definitely the best space dogfight simulator, hehe.