Ethernet cable wont register on my macbook????

Maddudeguy

Jun 8, 2009
Hey, so i use my ethernet cable plugged into my macbook to use Xbox Live and ive never had any problems untill today,
I got up turned on my computer and xbox and i wont sign in, so i check my computer and it says "Ethernet not connected" when it deffinatly is...... So i restart my laptop that doesn't work so i see if the ethernet works with another computer which is does but i can't use that laptop for connecting to xbox live because its my brothers......... So i know the cables fine just my laptop's being weird... Does anyone have any suggestions to how i can fix this ?!?!! its driving me insane :(.

Thanks.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Have you told windows to take priority over a cabled connection versus a wireless one?

Edit* DOH Sorry, Macbook ... but the process of networking doesn't change there. It will likely still have the same options of setting wireless or wired connection as default.

Maddudeguy

Jun 8, 2009
Antari said:
Have you told windows to take priority over a cabled connection versus a wireless one?

Edit* DOH Sorry, Macbook ... but the process of networking doesn't change there. It will likely still have the same options of setting wireless or wired connection as default.
I'm not very good with computers how would I do that?.......

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Maddudeguy said:
Antari said:

I'm not very good with computers how would I do that?.......
I haven't worked with Mac/OS in a while, I don't think I'd be able to walk you through it without being there. I'm too poor for apples lol. If ya know of anyone who's more familiar with system settings for Mac/OS they shouldn't have too much difficulty answering it.

xxcloud417xx

Oct 22, 2008
My best suggestion is buying a PC and to please tell all the other Mac users out there to stfu about macs being so damn error-proof and perfect. k thx.

Sorry that may seem harsh and I feel for you, not having a working computer sucks especially when you shell out a lot of money for it. But this just reminded me of some customers (I work in retail at a Staples) boasting how they're so happy with their Mac because it never crashes and works. Then they think I'm full of shit when I tell them I've had to repair Mac Pros at my other job on an almost daily basis. Adobe crashing, Repair the OS a bunch of times (I had the Mac OSX disc in the machine the entire time I worked there because I had to repair the OS that often), and my personal favorite is when the Hard Drive that contained all our Customer Templates and Job information just failed one day and the Computer did not boot into OSX while that drive was still in the machine.

Maddudeguy

Jun 8, 2009
xxcloud417xx said:
My best suggestion is buying a PC and to please tell all the other Mac users out there to stfu about macs being so damn error-proof and perfect. k thx.

Sorry that may seem harsh and I feel for you, not having a working computer sucks especially when you shell out a lot of money for it. But this just reminded me of some customers (I work in retail at a Staples) boasting how they're so happy with their Mac because it never crashes and works. Then they think I'm full of shit when I tell them I've had to repair Mac Pros at my other job on an almost daily basis. Adobe crashing, Repair the OS a bunch of times (I had the Mac OSX disc in the machine the entire time I worked there because I had to repair the OS that often), and my personal favorite is when the Hard Drive that contained all our Customer Templates and Job information just failed one day and the Computer did not boot into OSX while that drive was still in the machine.
That really doesn't help with the subject at hand, and i can't afford a PC I've had this mac for about 4 years now
and I can't shell out for a brand new computer......... The rant wasn't really necessary considering I wasn't really claiming
that macs are bulletproof..........

xxcloud417xx

Oct 22, 2008
Maddudeguy said:
xxcloud417xx said:

That really doesn't help with the subject at hand, and i can't afford a PC I've had this mac for about 4 years now
and I can't shell out for a brand new computer......... The rant wasn't really necessary considering I wasn't really claiming
that macs are bulletproof..........
Yeah you're right but I kind of felt like ranting, it had been a while since I've been able to call mac users out on their overpriced PCs in disguise.

So you're having issues with ethernet cable... So, as above user suggested, it might be a simple conflict with your computer choosing to use your Wireless vs. your Ethernet. Try, when plugging in your ethernet cable, to just turn Airport off. If you click on the airport icon at the top of your desktop screen there should be options to disable it. Also, I've troubleshooted a lot of Macs at work (as I mentioned) and I've found that the Mac support forums are actually pretty good.

-edit-

Here's a forum page that discusses this type of issue. They're saying to go to your network settings and change your location so it's not Automatic.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2130945?start=0&tstart=0

Maddudeguy

Jun 8, 2009
Yeah you're right but I kind of felt like ranting, it had been a while since I've been able to call mac users out on their overpriced PCs in disguise.

So you're having issues with ethernet cable... So, as above user suggested, it might be a simple conflict with your computer choosing to use your Wireless vs. your Ethernet. Try, when plugging in your ethernet cable, to just turn Airport off. If you click on the airport icon at the top of your desktop screen there should be options to disable it. Also, I've troubleshooted a lot of Macs at work (as I mentioned) and I've found that the Mac support forums are actually pretty good.

-edit-

Here's a forum page that discusses this type of issue. They're saying to go to your network settings and change your location so it's not Automatic.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2130945?start=0&tstart=0[/quote]
Thanks :) The thing is im not using my Ethernet cable to connect to the internet im using it for my xbox to connect to live.... Should I still do the same things it tells me to?

kaioshade

Apr 10, 2011
First check the service order in Network Preferences.

Airport does seem to take first in order.

Aso deleting the service and resetting it can also help as well. If that does not solve it, deleting the plist files for network can also aid in resetting problematic network connections.

zombiesinc

One day, we'll wake the zombies
Mar 29, 2010
Maddudeguy said:
Does anyone have any suggestions to how i can fix this ?!?!! its driving me insane :(.
Have you tried resetting the router? I recently had an issue with my MacBook recognizing my internet connection, but refusing to actually... connect. Previously everything had been working fine, then suddenly a few of my wi-fi enabled devices simply wouldn't connect. Once I reset the router, everything worked again.

I also did a (really) quick Google search concerning connecting to XBL via a MacBook and found this [http://www.giantbomb.com/guides/connecting-to-xbox-live-with-your-macbook/719/]. Take a look through it if resetting the router doesn't work. Good luck.

xxcloud417xx said:
This forum isn't the place to rant about other people using things you don't like. It wasn't necessary or helpful. Refrain from doing this within the Advice Forum in the future.

Maddudeguy

Jun 8, 2009
zombiesinc said:
Maddudeguy said:
Does anyone have any suggestions to how i can fix this ?!?!! its driving me insane :(.
>snippp<
/quote]

Thankyou for your feedback its very much appriciated, But the thing is I've already connected to Live via Ethernet and have done so
for about a year, the problem now is since yesterday it just says "No ethernet plugged in" even when it is, ive tried resetting the internet and the computer to no avail, and i know its not my computer thats the problem because i tried it on my brothers Mac and it worked fine... :(